Fuel rail pressure sensor???? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
04.5-05 LLY Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 04.5-05 LLY Duramax Trucks No Advertising

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2011, 12:48 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Fuel rail pressure sensor????

I just got my truck diagnosed at chevy because it's not been idleing or running right and they said they need to replace my fuel rail pressure sensor. They said it's $700. Anyone have any advice to get it cheaper?
k2500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2011, 01:10 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
Quicker Then Brian!

very doubtful... its most likely your fuel pressure regulator which is >200 or possibly injectors.

whats the specs on your truck

Thanks to,
Big Dipper, Efilive, Calvert, Precession Converters, Nick@Duramaxtuner, Eaton, Pureflow, and Falken
RedBowTies88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2011, 05:16 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

My truck was diagnosed today for a Fuel Pressure regulator also. Mine is doing something totally different. It is a 01 Duramax and it looses power going up hills pulling my trailer. They said it may fix the problem but may only be half the problem. Frustrating. My fix is quoted at 550(price & labor) right now. I quoted the part at Napa for $375 and that is with my companies discount.
Moorzluckee7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2011, 07:23 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
Quicker Then Brian!

i got a brand new one for 150... do some more looking

Thanks to,
Big Dipper, Efilive, Calvert, Precession Converters, Nick@Duramaxtuner, Eaton, Pureflow, and Falken
RedBowTies88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2011, 05:15 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

SPECS: All stock, 6 in. fabtech lift, 35s, K&N intake, mbrp exhaust
Old 05-12-2011, 07:03 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I suggest you do the "bottle test" to check the FPRV--[Fuel Pressure Relief Valve] that is the sensor on the fuel rail. LLY engines do have a weak spring in the FPRV.

On the drivers side fuel rail near the firewall there is a horse shoe shaped 1/4" hose close to the glow plug bracket. Disconnect the hose where it comes out of the fuel rail. Then hook up long hose and plug the "U" shaped hose.

Run the hose to somewhere that a bottle can be mounted. If your hose is long enough, you can mount it between the coolant tank, and airbox. Anywhere you can have the bottle standing in a upright position.

Now drive the truck hard, with some wide open throttle runs.

After you do this, check the bottle. If its empty, your FPRV is not bleeding off fuel and you don't need to shim the valve.

If it has more than a little fuel, that means that your fuel rail relief valve is leaking and you will then need to either shim the valve, or install a race valve.

PM sent---
Chevy 04.5 LLY, 2X, shell, XDR, MikeL Heavy duty up-grade, 6spd, TransGo, deep pan, de-badged, 65 Gallon replacement Aero tank, LBZ-mp, Kennedy pump, shimmed, Pre-fuel filter, tow mirrors, BU cam, gauges, GPS, Sirius, bags, custom grille, fender vents, HD trans cooler- Curt front hitch, footwell lights, load lights, Studs, head gaskets.--- Jerry
jc1843 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2011, 07:23 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

check merchant automotive for an fpr $175. merchantautomotive.com

LLY
Blocked, Rerouted, Sleeved, MP, 5"
Cobalt's, Leveled, Raptor, Profab, DDM, K2
EFI by ATP
TrevorG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2011, 07:38 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Thanks yall. jc, im gonna try to do that monday, see what happens before i spend money on somethin (sensor) i may not even need.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:42 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

if you need a fpr you can get one for cheap from alligator performance and do it yourself..it's not a lot of fun to do but it'll save you money thats for damn sure lol
gold star of excellence award winner 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duraskank View Post
5" = deeper sound. 4" = more of that pissed off two owls havin angry sex dmax sound at WOT.
a proud owner of a pound seven
usafduramax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.