HELP: Dead batteries that are brand new - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
06-07.5 LBZ & LLY Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2011, 08:00 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

HELP: Dead batteries that are brand new

Hello all, I have a 2006 duramax and a few weeks ago I come out and when I turn the key over it just clicks. Okay so I assume it's batteries. So I go and buy two brand new batteries and all has been well up until today.I noticed the past few days when I first start the truck the battery voltage seems to about around 10-12and once I start driving it goes up to past the 14 volts mark. Well I go out this morning to start and they are dead again, just clicks. What in the world could this be? I don't have an aftermarket cd player or anything.
Chad3304 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2011, 08:16 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
Im Superrrrr!

You could have a bad alt....do a load test on it....could be a module not properly going to sleep and leaching power as well.

Sponsored by Creatures of the Night Performance and SDP
--2005 CCLB Dually
The tow pig
Tuned and Edge Insight CTS
jmaz268 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2011, 08:17 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Mine sat for 2 days and I came out and just clicks. Service brake system flashing on the DIC. Charged em up and load tested them and it said the batteries are fine?

Sent from my Android phone while not driving...
AFE|MBRP|RBP|PPE|Transgo Jr|Cognito|AVS|WeatherTech
Waiting install:cab lights, building traction bars, Airdog, ATP Autocal!
Thanks ATP,ADP, & MA
WisconsinMAX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2011, 08:18 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

I thought about the bad alt as well, no CEL's or anything that come on, I'm going to attempt to jump it and go to a parts store and see if they can test my alt.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:22 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

If you charged them up and then load tested them it self defeats the point of testing them.

Do you start your truck after you charge the batteries? No... you start your truck after it's sat for awhile. So try letting them sit (not on concrete btw) for a few hours and then come back and put the load tester on them.

At least that's how I always tested mine, if the symptoms are that of a dead battery and the charging system is up to par.
DiamondEye 4", EFI Live by BobO, Edge Insight CTS, S&B Intake, Bilstein 5100 shocks, MOOG idler/pitman with SS support, Raptor 150, P553207, !PCV, !EGR, Transgo Jr, Rare Parts tie rods, 55 watt 4.5k HID low/hi/fogs, Belltech 3" lowering shackle
danhr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2011, 08:24 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad3304 View Post
I thought about the bad alt as well, no CEL's or anything that come on, I'm going to attempt to jump it and go to a parts store and see if they can test my alt.
More than likely it's not your alternator... if your volts go up to 14 with the truck running (and you verified this with a multi-meter... not the inaccurate analog gauge on the cluster), then your charging system is most likely working. If you were running off your batteries, it would be at most 12VDC

Did you check to make sure your battery connections are clean and tight?
DiamondEye 4", EFI Live by BobO, Edge Insight CTS, S&B Intake, Bilstein 5100 shocks, MOOG idler/pitman with SS support, Raptor 150, P553207, !PCV, !EGR, Transgo Jr, Rare Parts tie rods, 55 watt 4.5k HID low/hi/fogs, Belltech 3" lowering shackle
danhr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2011, 08:24 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Dont own a load tester. Just dtove it to the autoparts store. Do you have to disconnect the batteries from each other since there parralleled?

Thanks ATP,ADP, & MA
Old 11-16-2011, 08:27 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

Okay im confused because I don't know if the replies are towards me or the other guy with battery problems, no offense would have been easier had he started his own thread. But to dan I used the gauge on the cluster for my readings. It was around 12 and stays there until I drive a little then it goes up?
Old 11-16-2011, 08:34 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad3304 View Post
Okay im confused because I don't know if the replies are towards me or the other guy with battery problems, no offense would have been easier had he started his own thread. But to dan I used the gauge on the cluster for my readings. It was around 12 and stays there until I drive a little then it goes up?
Sorry just looking for help as I put a thread up and posted in another battery problem thread with 0 replies. Seems were having the same problem?

Thanks ATP,ADP, & MA
Old 11-16-2011, 08:36 AM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

no problem man, yeah I just went back and read your first post it does seem to have the same problem so might as well stick to one thread lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.