DTC Glow plug problem - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
06-07.5 LBZ & LLY Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2011, 01:54 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

DTC Glow plug problem

Ok, last month I got a engine light come on and I go to check it out and it said "cylinder 7 glow plug". No biggie, I change it and reset the codes and now it says "cylinder 7,3 glow plug". Ok maybe the cylinder 7 glow plug was bad. So I order some more and last weekend, I changed the 3 and 7 cylinder glow plugs and still getting the same message. Also before, the glow plug light will stay on for a long time. Usually it would take 3 secs and it will turn off. I did hear something about the glow plug module going bad and it will make the light do a 18 sec delay. Could it be the module? This happen to anyone? Please help!!!
2006 Chevy Silverado ..LBZ..mbrp 5" turbo exhaust (no muffler or cats) modified stock air intake, EFI by Kory Willis, Big Dipper stage IV trans, Precision ML, Pump rub fix, Alligator trans lines, Autometer guages, Airdog II-165, Ready Lift leveling kit, 285/75 Nitto Dune Grappler, Bilstein shocks, Cognito idler and pitman arm braces, PPE tie rod sleeves, fingerstick, blocker plate, pvc reroute,air intake regulator blocked, Banks boost tube, All Amsoil fluids.
tmm403 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2011, 03:41 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

could be, but it will throw another code

you can check it with a test light. hit the contacts while someone works the key
Old 12-27-2011, 03:47 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
Duramax Forum Supporter
Supporting Member

Sounds like the glow plug module to me, seen this before on customers trucks. I'd test it before condemning it though.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Baadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2011, 07:08 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Maybe you changed the wrong one--- Just to post something.

driver's side-- 2-4-6-8------Passenger side 1-3-5-7. So #7 in under the fuel filter.

The 06 trucks did have glow plug problems-- GM did do many on warranty, and had a TSB for a reflash.

Moved to LBZ, not a 911 problem.
Chevy 04.5 LLY, 2X, shell, XDR, MikeL Heavy duty up-grade, 6spd, TransGo, deep pan, de-badged, 65 Gallon replacement Aero tank, LBZ-mp, Kennedy pump, shimmed, Pre-fuel filter, tow mirrors, BU cam, gauges, GPS, Sirius, bags, custom grille, fender vents, HD trans cooler- Curt front hitch, footwell lights, load lights, Studs, head gaskets.--- Jerry
jc1843 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2011, 08:14 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc1843 View Post
Maybe you changed the wrong one--- Just to post something.

driver's side-- 2-4-6-8------Passenger side 1-3-5-7. So #7 in under the fuel filter.

The 06 trucks did have glow plug problems-- GM did do many on warranty, and had a TSB for a reflash.

Moved to LBZ, not a 911 problem.
Really...I thought it was the other way. I think I will just change all of them.
2006 Chevy Silverado ..LBZ..mbrp 5" turbo exhaust (no muffler or cats) modified stock air intake, EFI by Kory Willis, Big Dipper stage IV trans, Precision ML, Pump rub fix, Alligator trans lines, Autometer guages, Airdog II-165, Ready Lift leveling kit, 285/75 Nitto Dune Grappler, Bilstein shocks, Cognito idler and pitman arm braces, PPE tie rod sleeves, fingerstick, blocker plate, pvc reroute,air intake regulator blocked, Banks boost tube, All Amsoil fluids.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:50 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
Bobo
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm403 View Post
Really...I thought it was the other way. I think I will just change all of them.
Engine Parts(head gasket kits,headstuds,pistons,rods,etc)
Full Built Engines
Transmission kits or Full Built Transmissions from PPE or Suncoast
Turbos
Injectors(stock or larger) Lift Pumps, CP3's, Twin Cp3 kits
And many more products for your Duramax Diesel!!

DieselX T-Shirt Sale
DieselX-Bob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2011, 01:15 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
DF Sponsors

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm403 View Post

If you need a set let us know and we will get you a set shipped out. I have to replace 4 myself but just doing all 8 and being done with it.
11.53 @ 116.92 1.66 60's
RIP LBZ 6/1/08@5:44pm she was strong
She's Alive again
Born on July 27, 2008, 11:59:02 PM

Custom ECM & TCM Tuning for 2001-2010 LB7/LLY/LBZ/LMM trucks
by Tony Martino at Ridge Runner Diesel available here-
EFI Live Products
ripmf666 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2011, 08:59 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Thanks for the help. I have extras and will replace tonight when I get home. Thanks guys
Old 12-28-2011, 03:03 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

GM numbers the cylinders from the front to the back. So if you look at the back of the engine-- the driver's side head is further back, and closer to the firewall. The passenger side head is further forward. so that starts the numbers-- as #1.

The other V8s from General are different, and #1 on those, is the front on the driver's side.
Chevy 04.5 LLY, 2X, shell, XDR, MikeL Heavy duty up-grade, 6spd, TransGo, deep pan, de-badged, 65 Gallon replacement Aero tank, LBZ-mp, Kennedy pump, shimmed, Pre-fuel filter, tow mirrors, BU cam, gauges, GPS, Sirius, bags, custom grille, fender vents, HD trans cooler- Curt front hitch, footwell lights, load lights, Studs, head gaskets.--- Jerry
jc1843 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.