vibrations at idle - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
06-07.5 LBZ & LLY Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2012, 07:19 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

vibrations at idle

ok, been getting worse and started before i did fuel and air filter; in nuetral idleing it isn't to bad but in gear and idleing its getting worse, you can mainly hear it in the cab, feel it in the steering wheels and pedals, and as soon as you give it any kinda fuel pedal it goes perfectly normal,.....and coming to a stop once the engines at fuel idle even still rolling same thing, and sometimes some of the shifts feel like it has a clogged fuel filter. if it helps my milage hasn't dropped any, the past weekend to and from a race at 20.25 any fuel treatments i should try or what else
06 LBZ 3500 4x4 single rear wheel regular cab long bed WT, 4" turbo back straight pipe, solid gooseneck, drw wrecker prep springs, blocked, fingured, 2"plugged, and plenty of UWS boxs. work in progress
John-Boy 331 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2012, 07:33 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
Husker Diesel Pimp

honestly, by the symptoms, it sounds like a broken motor mount. But it could very well be an injector issue causing a misfire or something of the sort. First thing I'd do is get the injector balance rates checked out and see what they are. If one of them is way out of whack then that will likely tell you more than I can.

04 LB7: It's coming along, slowly
gr8shot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2012, 07:38 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

check to see if your exhaust is hitting the frame anywhere.

what's the best way to tell about a motor mount jesse?? have a guy rev it while you look in the engine bay? they move a lot just revving with good mounts though
my "build" thread
Raptor color match thread
ATP Trucks
lddrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2012, 09:45 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

My truck is having more or less the same symptoms and I am curious about the engine mounts also. I'll be interested to see what you find.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:55 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
Husker Diesel Pimp

I'm not sure how you'd go about checking them out. I would doubt they're actually bad though. I've just had to replace one in my car and one in my fiance's sisters car in the past couple weeks so it was on my mind. Both cars had bad vibration at idle. One was bad enough that the mount had worn and was metal on metal unless the motor was under load. On our car the motor would move... a lot... when you go from park to in gear or from drive to reverse.

Sent from my phone, probably while driving and eating a sandwhich

04 LB7: It's coming along, slowly
gr8shot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2012, 08:07 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

I have had a similar lopy jiggle/shudder. Can you put your foot on the brake with it in gear and give it a slight amount of fuel and make it do it? I can do this and re-create the symptoms. This was making me think that my torque converter was going on me. I would love for this not to be that case so anyone with some suggestions on how to chase this down would be great.

Mine is right when I get on the gas when leaving a stop light, and right when I come to a complete stop at a light. It will sometimes randomly jiggle/shudder while sitting still. You can feel it in your pecks/moobs when it does it, for what thats worth.
05 LLY CC SB 4X4, K&N ON LBZ INTAKE, RESONATOR PLUG, LBZ MP, 4" SILVERLINE, PCV RE-ROUTE, PORTED FUEL RAIL FITTING, EGR DELETE TUBE, FPRV SHIMMED, AIR DOG II 165, DEEP PAN/FILTER LOCK, TRANS-GO JR SHIFT KIT, SYN BLEND TRANS FLUID, PPE STANDARD, H2 WHEELS WRAPPED IN 295 GRAPS, HID H/L/F ALL ON, LED PLATE LIGHTS, MANUAL HIGH IDLE, GATORBACK SERP BELT, TORSION KEYS, TIE ROD SLEEVES, ARP HEAD STUDS

Oxcart- 01-18-2011, 11:43 PM
Thread-efi smoke tune help

"You will be back hippy."
Pura.Vida is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2012, 07:14 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

mines only idle, if you hold the brake and give it just a c-hair of throttle its perfectly smooth, it does thump from drive to reverse alittle, and the exhuast isn't rubbing anything
06 LBZ 3500 4x4 single rear wheel regular cab long bed WT, 4" turbo back straight pipe, solid gooseneck, drw wrecker prep springs, blocked, fingured, 2"plugged, and plenty of UWS boxs. work in progress
Old 01-12-2012, 07:56 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

hmmmm. maybe it's just a 6.6 liter motor doing work. i dunno. It kinda weirds me out too. The idle speed seems like it changes a little bit, like it's cycling something. i have no idea
my "build" thread
Raptor color match thread
ATP Trucks
lddrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2012, 03:50 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

My does this to kinda. I figured it was just a diesel. I had a cummins before though. Little rattely.

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide App
Old 01-13-2012, 04:30 AM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

yea it ain't normal, i've had this truck from 6 miles and this is the first time its ever made the the inside of the cab sound like a rattling drum at a stop light. from past experences with diesel alge and bad filters it seem like a fuel issue but like i said i've replaced fuel and air filters and no change. will look into the motor mounts though, seems like that could be something there

Last edited by John-Boy 331; 01-13-2012 at 04:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.