Leaking EGR Cooler - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
06-07.5 LBZ & LLY Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2012, 04:18 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Leaking EGR Cooler

I have a coolant leak at my egr cooler and was wondering if I could simply bypass any coolant going in and out of the cooler by connecting the two coolant hoses together?

Would there be any damage to the heater core by doing this?

I'm planning on blocking the egr very soon and would bypass at that time.

Thanks
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2012, 04:48 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
Duramax Forum Supporter
Supporting Member

just do an egr delete kit. gets rid of the cooler and egr. just my $.02
06LLY- EFILive DSP5 Duramaxtuner, EGR block, 5" exhaust, Banks Ram-Air, pitman/idler braces, Rare Parts tie rods, nicktane-CAT, leveled, Bilstein 5100s, rear airbags, traction bars, road armor bumper, 285/75-16 Dick Cepek F-C II
dmaxhd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2012, 08:23 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

WHat dmaxhd said. don't cost to much and then its gone! and most get a little better MPG after the delete.
i wish i would have just bought the delet kit and not the blocker and finger stick for the 65 bucks it cost me!
put a little more into it and youll be happy ya did
pooch327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2012, 08:33 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
Do work!
Supporting Member

After you see what your intake tract looks like when you take the cooler off to fix the leak, you will want to delete it.

Look at the intake ports on the head of this LBZ, all that black coloring is soot
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0050.jpg (90.3 KB, 234 views)
GMguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2012, 08:37 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
Duramax Forum Supporter
Supporting Member

I need to delete mine as well. Can anyone point us in the right direction for a good delete kit?

I was looking at this but heard bad things about it.
Sinister LLY Duramax EGR Delete
DMaxxrus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2012, 08:39 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
Do work!
Supporting Member

Don't waste your money on the Sinister kit, they need to stick with 6.0 Ford deletes.

Get with a vendor on here and get one from ProFab or SDP. Both are very well put together kits.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:42 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

Those of us who unfortunately live in emissions test cities might do the blocker over the delete since the inspectors are starting to look under the hood. Wouldn't a blocker achieve the same result as a delete in terms of preventing the intake build-up? Obviously, if you can remove un-used part that's better but I don't think the inspectors would catch a blocked egr as long as you can pass the tailpipe test and aren't throwing emissions codes from the blocked egr (like my VW will do if I block the egr).

ETA: Obviously from my sig it's not an issue on my current truck but I am planning to get an LBZ so I need to learn more about this.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:47 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
Do work!
Supporting Member

Yes the blocker will stop exhaust gas flow back into the engine. But you still have coolant circulating through the cooler which can ( not very often) rupture and leak, Then you will be pumping coolant into the intake.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:00 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMguy View Post
Yes the blocker will stop exhaust gas flow back into the engine. But you still have coolant circulating through the cooler which can ( not very often) rupture and leak, Then you will be pumping coolant into the intake.
Thanks. This risk exists whether or not you do a blocker correct? In other words, blocking the exhaust flow doesn't increase the chance that the coolant flowing through the egr cooler will leak does it?

BTW, does the egr block or delete cause any emissions codes on the d-max's? On my VW Jetta TDI, it will cause a code and persistent CEL that can't be prevented without some special ecm tuning making the egr delete/block more expensive than it's worth. One of the sensors somewhere in the intake side of things I believe sees too much fresh air as a problem and throws the code. Crazy when you think about it. Gotta love the EPA.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:55 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMguy View Post

This is where I'm at now. Cooler is leaking coolant out a very small hole in the outlet elbow.

I've got EFILive Spade ordered with a block plate. I don't want to spend the money on a delete kit right now. So, will connecting the two coolant hoses together, inlet and outlet, on the egr cooler, do any harm?
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.