Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Not charging battery light

6K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Aaron@LDS 
#1 ·
A friend of mine just got his 06 duramax and his "not charging battery light" comes on at start up and goes off when he starts driving
Any ideas?

#2 ·
Possibly a sticking regulator.

#4 ·
Take the truck to Autozone-[and others] , they can test it on the truck.

#5 ·
You can also call someone that sells alternators, and ask how to test the regulator yourself. I know there is a way to jump power to one of the pins on the ALT, and this puts it under load. If you notice the alt working harder the regulator is not sticking. But for accurate results, you should do this when the truck would normally exhibit this problem.

#6 ·
The regulator is electronic and mounted inside the alternator. They usually work-- or they don't work.

#7 ·
Yeah I know... I wish that was the case all the time! But for me, it worked after driving about 5-10 miles. Once it kicked in it stayed working. But I was told by my alternator salesman that they "stick sometimes." And replacing mine fixed it for me. I am just giving an opinion though. And I have an 01, so I don't know how everything works.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.