Problems after changing fuel filter - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
06-07.5 LBZ & LLY Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2012, 01:42 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Problems after changing fuel filter

Hello duramax mechanics. I actually have a couple of questions on this fuel filter issue. I just changed my fuel filter and now the truck blows black smoke from exhaust. Even when barely excellerate. It has never done this before. I have 88,000 miles on a 2006 LBZ. It has run flawlessly. This is not the first time I have replaced the fuel filter so I am puzzled by this. One of the thoughts I had was the wires on bottom of filter. (I don't know what they do) I had difficulty re-attaching wires after I installed new filter and was thinking that I maybe didn't get them snapped back together. Don't know if that has anything to do with it. My next question is that it now takes a couple of seconds to start. It used to start instantly. I was thinking that I didn't get prime screw completely tight but I figured that if that were the case, I wouldn't get any fuel pressure. My biggest question is the black smoke though. I always thought that was un spent fuel when I saw it from other trucks. Also, I don't have any modifications. Only an airaid intake. Also, what would be the best programmer start with and keep if I add many more mods like new injectors, new turbos, and the works?
lighthouse6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2012, 01:50 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
it stinks and whistles :)
Lifetime Supporting Member

That's a good one, I haw no idea. The wires on the bottom of the filter are just the wif sensor (water in fuel)

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app while doobin a smokie
rare parts gen2, bilstein 5100s, all season brace,
merchant pump rub fix, drp trans cooler lines.
needs a lift pump
http://performancetruckproducts.com/
Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2012, 12:19 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

How did you change your filter? from the top or did you take the inner fender out? If you changed it from the top, make sure you did not bump your mass air flow sensor loose. thats all I got, hope someone else chimes that might know a little more.
2005 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic, Glacier white pearl. Vance&Hines big shot duels and Fuel Pak!
1992 Baja 270 CD, 502 Magnum!

apd32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2012, 02:08 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

I would try a different filter. Maybe swap in a nicktane adapter and run a cat(that is what I have along with a fass platinum pump) As for programming efi live is king! I currently run an edge evolution race on max which i like because it gives you all the gauges and diagnostics. Efi live someday!
afe intake
4 inch Diamond Eye straight pipe, mbrp down pipe
Fabtech 8 inch lift with dual shock setup
Fabtech tierods, cognito brace kit, idler arm support bracket,kryptonite gusset
37's mickey thompson atz
warn bumper with m12000
Built tranny by Alligator performance(Holton)
03 zr2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2012, 04:20 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

Clean your maf sensor and see what that does.
LBZ w/200k+ seen as high as 21mpg and as low as 8mpg
PPE free airbox mod from DIY sticky Firestone bags married to Ride Rite comp and gauge

Clinton lied. A man might forget where he parks or where he lives, but he never forgets oral sex, no matter how bad it is.

Barbara Bush
viejajefita is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2012, 11:10 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

is their a hole in the intercooler pipe/boot.ect... that just got worse after you replaced the filter?? and messed around in the eng compartment

Superglide hitch
2012 Wildcat 344QB
jevanb is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2012, 12:27 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

Thanks for all of the info. I did have a very hard time changing this of course. I started from the top and yes, I probably did bump something. I ended up removing fender gaurd below and changing it that way. What would the maf sensor do with it and how would that make it start smoking when I excellerate. Then, what would I do to the sensor as I am not a mechanic and want to learn all of this myself. Also, I should mention that I also changed the oil and filter the same day.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:50 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

What I have noticed is that when I clean my maf, it doesn't smoke very much for awhile. This is a very "X chromosone" part of our trucks. Stay away from K&N air filters. Most auto parts stores have a MAF cleaner. I have substituted with brake parts cleaner before. I have also had to replace the fuel filter head on my truck. I did the rebuild and then it started leaking from other points on FF head. $120 through a friend w/ dealer connections. These are just my experiences that I speak of. Good luck. I too change my ff from the top. I have done this prob a dozen times w/ no problem.
LBZ w/200k+ seen as high as 21mpg and as low as 8mpg
PPE free airbox mod from DIY sticky Firestone bags married to Ride Rite comp and gauge

Clinton lied. A man might forget where he parks or where he lives, but he never forgets oral sex, no matter how bad it is.

Barbara Bush
viejajefita is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2012, 04:37 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

More problems. I am now getting very crappy milage. I was running about 14 mpg before I changed fuel filter and oil, now I am getting around 11.5 MPG. I cleaned my Air raid filter at same time so I figure I should be getting better milage with a little better power. It is opposite. Hell, if that is the case then I will never change oil and filter. What would I check if I were to check the MAF sensor and what would I do with it?
Old 03-14-2012, 05:38 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

If u got a oil type / wet filter the oil gets onto MAF sensor and causes problems / or some other sensor poss got nocked loose or hose off etc.....
PPE Hot Race tuner / TransGo Jr. / Pillar gauges
JVC - DVD/Nav system & Back up camera/2500w inverter/ 55w reverse lamps/Amber strobe lights X4 corners
front hidden hitch/rear hitch/turn over ball 5th wheel hitch/custom grille
DRW # 101
bubblebutt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.