Fuel gauge problem? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
06-07.5 LBZ & LLY Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2012, 05:40 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Fuel gauge problem?

Hey guys I'm a new member of the forum and i was wondering if anyone could help me. I just bought an 06 duramax and my fuel gauge seems to be giving me trouble. When I fill my truck up close to "E" it only lets me put about 14 or 15 gallons in it. I have the short bed so I have the 26 gallon tank. Also when I fill it up the gauge works like it should, it goes to full and works all the way to empty but im only getting about 220 miles or so until it gets to "E". My average eco says im getting 16 though. So by my math I should get about 400 miles to a tank if i run it all the way to "E" right? My father-in-law is a mechanic and he thinks its the sending unit but I really dont want to drop 360 bucks on a new one if that is not the problem. Any help would be great. Note: The fuel range on the dash reads approx. 360 miles when I fill up and drops about 30 miles when I've only been about 3 miles.

Billet Bowtie, Black Diamond Plate Bed Caps, 20% Tint, 265/75/16 Destination M/Ts on the stockers, and one of these days when my wife quits wrecking it I'll have more
jakedaugh1590 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2012, 07:31 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Ya mines doing the same thing, well its been like that since I bought it 5 months ago. My plan is to just carry a can full of diesel and drive till it runs out. I have the w/t package so I don't have the d.I.c. to tell me anything.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:33 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

I have a lmm and it's the same way. Gm made it that way so you don't run your diesel out of fuel. Just a safety thing.

Sent from my Phone that's smarter than me
weather tech, iron cross hd steps, AFE IC pipe,AD165, congnito uca leveled with 18x9 fuel boost rims wrapped in 33x12.5 open county mt, SDP egr delete kit DE down pipe, recon cab lights, Rare parts tie rods, cognito braces, moog pitman/idler arm, edge cts,
drock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2012, 08:08 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

I have a lly and does the same thing. When its on e I can only put 16 gallons in it. Which means theres still 10 gallons in there. I heard it is a safety thing as well but ten gallons is a bit much.

RIP Earl Scruggs, you will be missed.
2004.5 chevy, 156,000 miles. 4 inch dual exhuast, no cat or muffler, 265 scorpion on stock rims, torsion bar cranked up, bilstein shocks all around, edge juice/attitude set on level three, apr studs, fass fuel system, exhaust manifold, down pipe........

Jesse
countrybound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2012, 08:35 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

My LMM does the same thing. I have replaced my sending unit already (warranty) to try and fix it but did nothing. My DIC is accurate to the amount of fuel burned. I have a 26 gallon tank too and just run it till it shows I have used 22 or 23 gallons of fuel. Works for me that way. GM should have either fixed the issue or allowed for larger tanks on a diesel if they wanted to be that conservative with fuel. At least the new LML trucks come with 36 gallon on the shortbed now.

2008 GMC 2500HD LMM SLT CC SB 4x4 Z71
Buckstop front bumper, WARN M12000 winch, PIAA 520 ATP driving / PIAA 510 fog, Westin Platinum Series nerf bars, Pace Edwards Bedlocker tonneau cover, Cognito UCA leveling kit and HD Idler Pivot Assembly, Cognito Pitman and Idler steering braces, Bilstein 5100's, LT285/70R17 BFG AT KO tires, 17 x 9 XD Series Crank Wheels, 15% Tint Driver/Passenger windows, GM Tow Mirrors, DDM Tuning HID lights 6000K 35W
Georgia Duramax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2012, 08:38 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

It's normal. My 06 is the same. I just get in the habit of watching the "fuel used" on the DIC. Once it gets to about 22 gallons used then i start seriously thinking about fueling up very soon. My truck is lifted on 35's and doing it that way i get about 280-290 miles out of it according to the DIC. I've never hand calc'd it so it could be more, could be less.

http://madjacksynthetics.com/index.php
http://www.alligatorperformance.com/
http://www.merchant-automotive.com/index.aspx
http://www.gotshocker.com/home.php
http://performancetruckproducts.com/
SoCal06DMAX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2012, 04:23 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Thanks for the help but im kinda thinkin that a 10 gallon safety is a little much too...my buddy has an 03 duramax and we just got back from a 200 mile trip one way...we were both pulling campers, i was pulling a 6600 lb ultra lite and he was pulling a 7500 lb fifth wheel...he got all the way there on a little less than half a tank and when i got there i was on "e". we both have a short bed and both got about 12.5. I dont know what the problem is. and trial and error can get expensive.

Billet Bowtie, Black Diamond Plate Bed Caps, 20% Tint, 265/75/16 Destination M/Ts on the stockers, and one of these days when my wife quits wrecking it I'll have more
Old 04-06-2012, 04:26 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

alright update..... a guy i work with dad has an 02 lb7 (correct me if im wrong) and he told me he had the same problem and just changed the sending unit to fix it. will this fix the problem? for the time being im doing what socal06dmax is doing and just watching my fuel used on the dic

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.