P003a turbo code seems unfixable - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
06-07.5 LBZ & LLY Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2012, 04:20 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

P003a turbo code seems unfixable

2006 GMC duramax diesel 4x4 sbcc, Customer brought it in with no boost, Stock turbo had excessive play in the impeller, Replaced it with a stock remanufactured turbo fro BD diesel performance (garret certified dealer), after test driving it threw a P003a (boost control position not learned) and a P0299 (engine under boost) It felt like it was making good boost 75% of the time and drove normal. The other 25% of the time it would get a major hesitation and for 10-15 seconds.

It would just dog along and spew out black smoke before finally boosting up and taking off like a rocket. I noticed it was surging while idleing and knew this to be the turbo vein position sensor so I replaced that with a new one from the dealership. Solved the surging at idle but not the other problems. Took it to the first dealer because I read that they had to do a relearn on their special computer (tech2) they played around with it for a full day before giving up and saying that it must be a bad turbo.

I didnt like this answer so I took it to a different dealer farther away. Again it made great boost always and ran normal 75% of the time. The next dealer screwed around with it for a week and said the only factor in the equasion was the "aftermarket turbo" even though its a stock reman from a autherized Garret turbo dealer. Finally I gave in and let them pull the new turbo. We sent it back to BD and they sent us a different one. They installed it and it still had the same problem. Then they said it was the vein position sensor so they put in another new one. Still did'nt fix it. Then they said it was a ground fault in the PCM so they replaced that.

Still didnt fix it. Customer and I were getting upset with their lack of performance. Customer needed the truck to move his Toy hauler trailer before he got charged another years storage. They charged him $3500 and it still was not fixed. Now the truck is back at my shop and I'm typing this. Truck has 4 inch MBRP exaust with high flow cat, has run an edge chip (unhooked right now) since it was new, cold air intake, banks intercooler. Because of the condition of the stock turbo and smell of the oil I did a complete oil change then let it run for about half an hour and did another complete oil change. Truck also has new fuel filter and cleaned air filter.

It has to be something electrical because when its not acting up it REALLY goes!!! After the gm mechanic spoke with the GM techline they decided that it has to have a Factory turbo from GM to run right and they will not do anything else on it until the turbo is switched out again. I told them that BD sells hundreds of these turbos to duramax owners and if it didnt work with the truck people wouldnt be buying them.

Last edited by jmaz268; 04-23-2012 at 07:38 AM.
angelsndevils is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2012, 10:00 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Anybody?? Wire harness problems? plugged cat? Is the ecm and the pcm the same part?
Old 04-18-2012, 12:19 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Update...I got in touch with a shop that does alot of diesel drag racing and they claim that they see this happen alot when the turbos are switched in the duramax. They say the ECM needs to be rewritten to accept the new turbo. The truck is there now so wish me luck. I see all the views on this tread and I know if anybody had a suggestion they would of posted so thanks for the views. Hopefully next time I can help someone else or at least have a not-so-complicated problem. lol
Old 04-21-2012, 11:56 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

Any luck with this?

Now- built motor, Billet trans parts, 72mm Danville VGT ect ect.
Chad McGregor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2012, 07:06 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Few suggestions:

1) Check that the cam bearing under the turbo didn't spin and block oil flow to the bearings/vane position solenoid
2) Make sure to do a vane position sensor relearn with a Tech 2 after install
3) Pressurize the intake (post turbo) to 30 psi to verify you don't have any leaks
4) Use an EGR blockoff plate to ensure the EGR valve isn't leaking boost
5) Log demand vs actual vane position (%) as well as actual vs demand boost (psi) and MAF (lb/min) see if you can pinpoint when it happens

The engine will reduce fueling under the P0299 so it will drive poorly until you can prevent that code from recurring.
2005 Silverado EC/SB, LLY, 4WD, EFI DSP5 V2 (Idaho Rob at ATP), Edge CTS w/ EGT probe, LML Exhaust Manifold, PPE shimmed FPRV, Banks LBZ air cleaner, Profab intake, LBZ Turbo Mouthpiece, Kennedy twin lift pumps w/ megafilter, Corsa 304 SS Exhaust, Mike L tranny cooler, EXAXT Steering System, Redhead Power Steering Box w/ Amsoil PS fluid, Green Torsion Keys, Allison Deep Pan w/ Suncoast Filterlock and Transynd ATF, Bilstein 5100's (Norcal), Cognito UCA's, 17" NBS alloy rims, 265/70R17 Michelin LTX M/S2's, Pioneer AVH-P3200BT, CubbyCam Backup Camera, Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock, Extang Solid Fold Tonneau Cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake controller, Alphatherm AT-38OD Washer Fluid Heater

Last edited by MTL_Dmax; 04-23-2012 at 07:56 AM.
MTL_Dmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2012, 07:39 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
Im Superrrrr!

Holy giant wall of text...broke it up a bit to make it easier on us old timers to read.

Sponsored by Creatures of the Night Performance and SDP
--2005 CCLB Dually
The tow pig
Tuned and Edge Insight CTS
jmaz268 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2012, 07:53 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Would a dirty MAF cause these conditions, I see the filter was just cleaned.
2003 2500HD LT CCLB, EFILive by Idaho Rob, 4" MBRP, Diamond Eye Down Pipe, Ported Intake Horn, S&B Intake, PPE Boost Valve, ADII, Nicktane CAT Adapter, CTS Insight, Cognito UCA, Rare Parts Tie Rods, Cognito Brace kit, Bilsteins, Gear Alloy wheels, Hankook RF10 285's, All on Mod, DDM 5k Low's & 4300 Fogs, air horn, on board air, limo tint, blue led interior
biketopia is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2012, 10:44 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Got the truck back from being "fixed" and dyno tuned. Still has the same intermitent problem. They removed all the edge chip/chip harness and programed a EFI live tune directly into the truck. When its happy it friggin rips!!! rediculous amount of power with the Bd turbo. #4 in the suggetions above has my attention. Could it be possible that the boost is blowing the egr open? How would you trouble shoot this? 2 dealerships and the efi/dyno shop are saying the only thing the can figure is its the BD turbo but I already sent it back once and put in another one that they sent back. Could I have gotten 2 faulty turbos in a row? Seems hard to believe. and I've had nothing but good luck with BD in the past.

Last edited by angelsndevils; 04-26-2012 at 10:55 AM.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:13 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

It sounds like a loose connection someplace in the electrical. Check all the grounds and all other connections. A loose ground can cause some really weird problems on these trucks. Also check the vane sensor plug for corrosion. That is where I would start. I have had 0 problems with my new charger and I upgraded to a stage 2 charger.
www.alligatorperformance.com
DMAXSTORE.COM
chevy71pickupman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2012, 12:04 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelsndevils View Post
Got the truck back from being "fixed" and dyno tuned. Still has the same intermitent problem. They removed all the edge chip/chip harness and programed a EFI live tune directly into the truck. When its happy it friggin rips!!! rediculous amount of power with the Bd turbo. #4 in the suggetions above has my attention. Could it be possible that the boost is blowing the egr open? How would you trouble shoot this? 2 dealerships and the efi/dyno shop are saying the only thing the can figure is its the BD turbo but I already sent it back once and put in another one that they sent back. Could I have gotten 2 faulty turbos in a row? Seems hard to believe. and I've had nothing but good luck with BD in the past.

Why don't you install a blocker plate and then you'll at least see if that was the issue.
2005 Silverado EC/SB, LLY, 4WD, EFI DSP5 V2 (Idaho Rob at ATP), Edge CTS w/ EGT probe, LML Exhaust Manifold, PPE shimmed FPRV, Banks LBZ air cleaner, Profab intake, LBZ Turbo Mouthpiece, Kennedy twin lift pumps w/ megafilter, Corsa 304 SS Exhaust, Mike L tranny cooler, EXAXT Steering System, Redhead Power Steering Box w/ Amsoil PS fluid, Green Torsion Keys, Allison Deep Pan w/ Suncoast Filterlock and Transynd ATF, Bilstein 5100's (Norcal), Cognito UCA's, 17" NBS alloy rims, 265/70R17 Michelin LTX M/S2's, Pioneer AVH-P3200BT, CubbyCam Backup Camera, Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock, Extang Solid Fold Tonneau Cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake controller, Alphatherm AT-38OD Washer Fluid Heater
MTL_Dmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.