Coolant leak - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
06-07.5 LBZ & LLY Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2012, 11:49 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Coolant leak

Noticed that my truck started leaking coolant, looks like it is coming from the drivers side, as you can see in the picture the dexcool driping off the tranny, and the driveshaft is wet. Truck has 58,000 miles and i have never put a tune on it. was hoping that it was just the T's for my coolant filter but i put paper under it for a night and not one drop, cant see anything from the top... picture is from truck sitting for 2 days.any clues?
2001 chevy 4x4 Regular Cab LB7...5inch exhaust(not MBRP!!) Profab intake horn and downpipe,Rare parts tie rods,Cognito Braces,Coolant filter,Nicktane,Airdog100,Pump rub fixed.diy high idle mod.Rear Airbags..................R.I.P.-2006 Chevy 2500 4x4.Regular Cab 4x4 LBZ
smacker86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2012, 11:51 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

drivers side front or drivers side rear?
Efi Live by Rob Coddens
s472
DirtyMaxx03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2012, 07:43 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

its got to the coming from the rear, the skip plates didnt have any on it so i figured that ruled out the water pump,i drove it around today then pulled in my shop, let it idle, and looked everywhere and couldnt see anything, no drips or anything, so im going to look again in the morning and see if i can see anything...
2001 chevy 4x4 Regular Cab LB7...5inch exhaust(not MBRP!!) Profab intake horn and downpipe,Rare parts tie rods,Cognito Braces,Coolant filter,Nicktane,Airdog100,Pump rub fixed.diy high idle mod.Rear Airbags..................R.I.P.-2006 Chevy 2500 4x4.Regular Cab 4x4 LBZ
Old 04-18-2012, 07:52 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

A couple of ideas, it still could being coming from the front of the engine. Something my be leaking in the valley. If this happens it will run to the back of the engine. Check the o ring on the therm housing, the turbo coolant lines, and EGR cooler. It is a PITA to find these leaks. Speaking from experience.
shime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2012, 08:03 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

well guess i will have to look there also, i have an extended warranty and i need to take my truck in to get the tranny lines changed, and will have them screw with fixing it if its something down in the valley while its in there, it just bugs the crap out of me not knowing where its coming from and dont no when i will have time to make an appointment and drop it off at the dealership....looked around the egr cooler and couldnt see anything also.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:09 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

I hear you. It is a pita trying to see through the maze of wiring, fuel line, etc. I agree let the dealer deal with it. Good luck ! If feel your pain.
shime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2012, 09:52 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Hopefully its something simple...Unfortunatly I just had the same issue with a customers truck. The coolant was coming out from between the transmission and engine. There are some cover plates on the back of the engine block that have been known to leak. The trans,TC and flexplate had to be removed to fix the problem. Hope this helps and hope its not this for your wallets sake.
angelsndevils is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2012, 11:52 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

If you can get under it good enough, look at the edges of the head gaskets at the rear of the heads, Its not every LBZ that leaks there but I have personally seen a couple anyways.

Now- built motor, Billet trans parts, 72mm Danville VGT ect ect.
Chad McGregor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2012, 12:35 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

HGs. Make the dealer fix it.

Big Thanks To Adrenaline Truck Performance, Alligator Diesel PerformanceSocal Diesel and Lincoln Diesel Specialties
Thebiggids is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2012, 07:26 AM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

I have just notice a leak that shows on the ground in front of the drivers side tire, can't tell where it comes from but is getting to drop more fluid everyday, hoping it might be water pump, having it looked at tommorow, any guesses. 2003 lb7 197000 miles.
bijueee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.