code p0087. - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
06-07.5 LBZ & LLY Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2012, 02:09 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

code p0087.

2007 classic duramax having reoccuring low fuel rail pressure code p0087. All reg maintenance performed by dealer. Fuel filters pump injectors have been done plus after market fuel rail pressure releas valve replaced. Still getting codes while towing. What should i do now
tadkins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2012, 02:11 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

Lift pump

Sent from my ADR6300 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
NEDuramax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2012, 02:23 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

Do you mean in tank fuel pump?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEDuramax View Post
Lift pump

Sent from my ADR6300 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
tadkins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2012, 02:55 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

Good reading material <here>.

2006 Jetta TDI (daily driver)
eric-satx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2012, 07:22 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Moving to LBZ-- truck runs
Chevy 04.5 LLY, 2X, shell, XDR, MikeL Heavy duty up-grade, 6spd, TransGo, deep pan, de-badged, 65 Gallon replacement Aero tank, LBZ-mp, Kennedy pump, shimmed, Pre-fuel filter, tow mirrors, BU cam, gauges, GPS, Sirius, bags, custom grille, fender vents, HD trans cooler- Curt front hitch, footwell lights, load lights, Studs, head gaskets.--- Jerry
jc1843 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2012, 05:12 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

Code P0087

I'm having the same issue on my 07 classic. I installed a FASS system and that helped for a little while but wasn't the fix. Basically what is happening is the Bosch CP3 (injection pump) uses the vacuum from the engine to get fuel from the tank to the pump. This has worked for a lot of people towing these trucks on a regular basis, for some reason some just fail sooner than others. I read the article that eric-satx suggested and suppose if you catch the problem soon enough, replacing a collapsed fuel line would be a quick and easy fix. Installing a lift pump to create positive pressure to the injection pump would be the first route I would take. It can even make a weakening pump feel like it has new life. It cured my woes for about 15k miles and she's throwing the P0087 code again. There is a pressure relief valve that could be failing before you just throw parts at the truck. If the lift pump doesn't help your probably in for a hefty shop bill (injection pump or injectors) but look at the bright side... when things break or fail just start upgrading! Good luck!
dmawalkermower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2012, 08:47 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

just replaced the hose on my buddies truck that was throwing the 0087 last summer while towing. When we got the hose off it was pretty obvious it had a soft spot in it. I just can't see his issue being anything other than that. With 2 fingers you had to put very very little pressure on it to get it to collapse. Only took about 20 minutes to do and a few minutes of that was having to crawl out from under the truck and get another beer or two.

98 Firebird Formula-heads/cam and everything under the sun.....11.80's at full weight with more left in the car
0rion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2012, 09:10 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

My P0087 thread
06 Lbz reg cab 3500 4x4... 4 in. straight, egr block plate, finger stick, air dog 100 and fprv shim ... I have efi live v.2 using to data log and clear codes.(I have also done the race valve did not work) TRUCK IS NOT TUNED STOCK SETTING
2013 4 Dr. 4x4 LTZ
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.