Oil in coolant?!?!?! Help!!!! - Page 3 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
06-07.5 LBZ & LLY Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2013, 09:20 AM   eBay Motors  #21 (permalink)

Wink Leaking oil cooler 6.6 liter 2006 duramax

I just replaced the oil cooler in my 2006 6.6 liter duramax in an express 3500 van with 325.000 miles. The coolant tank was getting contaminated with oil. Head gaskets were replaced a year ago, when they were bad the radiator was getting over-pressurized and the engine would not turn over due to coolant in the cylinders. Did a complete head job with all GM recommended parts and sealants, also had the heads resurfaced, also replaced all head bolts. Now 1 year later noticed oil was accumulating in coolant tank, engine oil was clean with no water, engine was running fine. Did a coolant pressure test 20 psi.with the oil filter removed and could not detect pressure leaking from oil filter area. I decided to replace the oil cooler assembly anyways,cost from dealer was $318 plus the gaskets for the coolant to block passageways. Job was not too difficult and this was on an express van. I did an autopsy on the old cooler and I found one of the cooler to housing oil gaskets had deteriorated allowing high pressure oil to leak into the coolant waterway surrounding the oil heat exchanger. The oil heat exchanger itself was not leaking This is a brazed plate heat exchanger very heavy gauge metal and it would seem to take alot to cause a leak in this. Based on the diagram I got from GM I would suggest an easier and cheaper fix to try first before replacing the entire cooler would be to take the top off the cooler lift out the heat exchanger, check it for leaks and if its ok clean the mating surfaces,then replace these 2 heat exchanger to cover gaskets and the cover gasket and re assemble the cooler, I believe this could even be done without removing the entire cooler assembly from the engine, this would be a pretty straight-forward simple job. The dealer I got my parts from shows all the OEM gaskets necessary are available for this job. In my diagram they would be oil heat exchanger gaskets #573-#574- the oil cooler cover gasket is #576, and if the entire oil cooler assembly has been removed the oil cooler to block oil passage o rings are #254 and #99 are needed as well as #126 and #180 gaskets for the water return to rear engine block fitting are needed. If the coolant supply pipe from the front of the engine to the oil cooler is removed an o ring #99 and an oval gasket #95 are needed.I hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mary Cavanaugh 005.jpg (95.0 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg Mary Cavanaugh.jpg (46.4 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Mary Cavanaugh 009.jpg (52.6 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Mary Cavanaugh 007.jpg (92.2 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Mary Cavanaugh 008.jpg (99.3 KB, 31 views)
Dennis Clos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.