2007 lbz fuel cooler leaking at 60,000 miles - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
06-07.5 LBZ & LLY Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2012, 08:00 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

2007 lbz fuel cooler leaking at 60,000 miles

well as the title reads " 2007 lbz fuel cooler leaking at 60,000 miles." The cooler is not actually leaking.
but where the fuel line attaches to the cooler is. the metal lines that attach to the fuel cooler on both
sides look rusty... but it's only leaking from the one side near the frame rail.(the line to the right in the picture below)

the metal line coming out of the fuel cooler looks like it can be replaced??? Can I replace the metal fitting on
the cooler with out replacing the whole cooler?

I found this website that shows the parts. and it does not show a replacement fittings for the fuel cooler.

CK2,3(43) FUEL SUPPLY SYSTEM-FRONT (LBZ/6.6D);. Fits: AVALANCHE 2WD 1500, AVALANCHE 2WD 2500, AVALANCHE 4WD 1500, AVALANCHE 4WD 2500, AVALANCHE 4WD 2500 LS, AVALANCHE 4WD... | Nalley Buick GMC Brunswick

and I used he google machine and the search button on this forum. didn't come up with much other then
bypassing the cooler... and does anyone know if a company that makes stainless steel replacement lines?
I might as well replace the lines from the tank to the motor if I can find some SS lines...
thanks,
jeephauler77

Last edited by jeephauler77; 07-06-2012 at 08:05 PM.
jeephauler77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2012, 05:54 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

fixed for $4.32. I borrowed a line flange making tool, bought some o-rings, 3/8" line nut, and a new line. and came up with this:

old stuff:

new stuff:

I don't know why the dealership does not sell these two lines or the aftermarket world... Had I been a little smarter... I would have made them out of stainless steel!

I came across two cool tools while doing this project:

the funny part about this story. after borrowing tools, finding seals, and leaking diesel fuel every where
I ended up stripping (cross threading) the left side of the fuel cooler (the side that was not leaking) and managed to
fix the right side of the fuel cooler. so long story short after all this work and research I ended up spending a $195 for
a new fuel cooler and for now no leaking! lol. but the lesson to be learned was take the fuel cooler out when replacing the
fittings.

jeephauler77

Last edited by jeephauler77; 07-09-2012 at 06:02 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:00 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

other links:

Fuel line quick connect - Page 2 - TheDieselPage.com Forums

Need help with a fuel leak

Last edited by jeephauler77; 07-09-2012 at 07:04 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:49 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeephauler77 View Post
fixed for $4.32. I borrowed a line flange making tool, bought some o-rings, 3/8" line nut, and a new line. and came up with this:

old stuff:

new stuff:

I don't know why the dealership does not sell these two lines or the aftermarket world... Had I been a little smarter... I would have made them out of stainless steel!

I came across two cool tools while doing this project:

Fuel and A/C Quick Disconnect Pliers - YouTube

Mastercool Hydraflare Flaring Tool - YouTube

the funny part about this story. after borrowing tools, finding seals, and leaking diesel fuel every where
I ended up stripping (cross threading) the left side of the fuel cooler (the side that was not leaking) and managed to
fix the right side of the fuel cooler. so long story short after all this work and research I ended up spending a $195 for
a new fuel cooler and for now no leaking! lol. but the lesson to be learned was take the fuel cooler out when replacing the fittings.

jeephauler77

Where did you find those new fitting that go in the cooler?
Banks intake and cat back,Diamond Eye downpipe and frount pipe,EGR Blocker Plate,PPE bleeder screw,HIDs,Big O ace throttle spring,linex bed liner,big blue nuts, Afe Mouthpiece with the res and pvc ports welded shut Auto Meter Phantom 2 boost, pyro and frp, EFI tuned buy duramaxtuner, pro stock pvc and Frount and rear Weather Tech floor liners, Big Dipper stage 4 built by Todd Spalding.

Thanks to all of our service men and women
bluebowtie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2012, 07:30 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebowtie View Post
Where did you find those new fitting that go in the cooler?
Napa.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:37 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

I went there they said no but the counter guy seemed like a retard. I ended up at the dealer. Bought the cooler and complete front line set.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Banks intake and cat back,Diamond Eye downpipe and frount pipe,EGR Blocker Plate,PPE bleeder screw,HIDs,Big O ace throttle spring,linex bed liner,big blue nuts, Afe Mouthpiece with the res and pvc ports welded shut Auto Meter Phantom 2 boost, pyro and frp, EFI tuned buy duramaxtuner, pro stock pvc and Frount and rear Weather Tech floor liners, Big Dipper stage 4 built by Todd Spalding.

Old 10-12-2012, 10:08 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
rms
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporting Member

Great info here.

Thanks

2007 LBZ 4x4 regular cab
S & B Intake - Diablo Predator
285/75/16 Cooper ATP's - 8' Bedslide
Amp Steps - Bilsteins - Fumoto

The Arizona Diesel Club
rms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2012, 10:35 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

The steps I have taken to combat having to buy the cooler and lines again are.

Primed and painted the cooler, cooler guards ,brackets and the lines

Anti seize the fittings the thread into the cooler.

I hope to never have to do this again.

It seams the quick couplers are quick to install but a real mofo to take apart. Both of the male ends I pulled apart where corroded inside the female coupler. Witch meant prying the retainer out very carefully and twisting the line to get it to break free. GM dies not have a listing for there retainers but you can buy them at napa and a few other parts houses if you bend the hell out of them.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

Old 10-29-2012, 08:09 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

sorry for the delay. I have been working on my house. trying to get it ready to sell... The lines, line nut, and the flares are the easy parts. Well as long as you have some coin to drop on a flare tool or a good friend to borrow one from. It's the retainer clips and the orings. I was able to match up the little orange o-rings with some new black ones from an assortment bin at napa. but the other larger o-ring gm, napa, classic tube, and a couple others do not have a listing or size. The retainer clips at napa or autozone looked like they did not match up 100% so I was going to reuse the old ones... I was going to start making sets of new rebuilt stainless steel ones. But found a dead end with the o-rings...

jeephauler
Old 01-27-2014, 01:44 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

Jeephauler
My apologies for reviving to such an old thread, but I have a leaking fuel cooler and I suspect it to be a rusted out line like you had.

I'm very interested in making the replacement 3" lines like you did, but I'm curious how that tube stop bead was made? What type of tool did your friend have that you borrowed to make that? Was it that Mastercool that you linked to? Funds are kind of tight and was hoping to borrow tools like you did and make the replacement pieces. I'm already going to have to replace my fuel and brake lines since the truck came from the midwest with all the salt on the roads, figured I'd try to save a little $ by not buying a new cooler if I can help it.

Thanks!!

2006 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT CCLB 4x4

Mods: EGR block, EFI LIVE by Rob, Edge Insight CTS w/ backup cam and Exhaust probe.

My Build Thread
rparlee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.