Engine code P0402 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
06-07.5 LBZ & LLY Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2012, 01:16 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Engine code P0402

Pulled codes after check engine light has come on. Cleared code numerous times and still returns. Code says excessive EGR flow. Anyone have this issue with an easy solution. Some guys say EGR will be plugged up with carbon, others say mass air flow sensor. Just wanted to get someones opinion that has had this trouble or know the issue before spending some cash. Truck only has 79000kms.
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 01:32 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporting Member

I had that code when i went to after market af, put a blocker plate[egr] cleared the code did not come back on, now my egr is shut down with the efi live
2015 Gmc sle rclb z71 maxx suspension leveling kit, trifecta tri fold toneau,bfg at 275-70-18 , weather tech floor liners,edge insight, spray in liner factory, mag-hytech rear end cover with royal purple max gear lube, 18-9 xd riots, mag-hytech deep trans pan, amsoil torque drive, cognito upper front arms

1969 ss nova back halved 604 ci big chief, rossler 400,8.42 on motor
blunova is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 07:30 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Truck is completly stock, even the air filter. Probably sounds like the egr has to come off and be cleaned al least i guess. I bought a new ac delco air filter and im gonna put it in and clean the mass air flow sensor when i get a min of spare time. Hoping this cheap easy fix might do it.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:53 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

EvancLBZ, Had the same problem, Pulled the EGR out and cleaned it 4 weeks ago. Fun times It was about 90% blocked. This was my first time doing it at 92000 miles. Suggest while you have the EGR out just replace the EGR Solenoid (motor). Even after cleaning the EGR I was still getting the P0402 code. I even tested the motor for operation when I had the EGR out, it worked but I was still throwing the code. I just replaced the motor this weekend, hopefully that will be the end of it. Before pulling the EGR have at least 3 cans of cleaner I used B-12 throttle cleaner it works great. Good luck.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:37 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

I had this issue with after market cold air intake and I asked the same question about a year ago. I got back from someone that some of them did throw the code with stock intake so they came out with a calibration update (dealer update code fix). I asked what the code was and he did not know but he ran a repair shop and it sounded like good info. I would try the other suggestions first but keep this in your back pocket.

Add ons: Truxedo, TransGoJr, Ranch Hand Legend Front Bumper, Tow Mirrors, Xtreme Bed Liner, Recon Cab Lights, Bluetooth ODB II data thru Android Phone.

Mods: Blue LED's in dash and all dash controls.
Dark Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 01:07 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Checked out code on identifix and out of 11 confirmed fixes, 7 of them were dirty mass air flow sensors, a couple were bad egr motors and one was software and the mass air flow sensor. Cleaned the mass air flow sensor this morning and threw in a new air filter. Gonna try this first. Thanks for all the info.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:57 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

I have been having this problem also since it started getting cold here. Once the temp dropped down into the 40's and 50's my engine light would come on just driving down the road at a steady speed. I can not notice any difference with the way the truck performed. I scanned it with the same P0402 code. My only problem is a few days later the light will go out by itself, only to come on again a few days later, sometimes it will be 2 weeks of driving before it comes back on. But it always comes on driving at a steady speed. I just had the light come back on yesterday for the 5th time in the last 7 weeks. For right now I will just keep driving the truck and see how long it takes to shut off again. Is this the same experience others are having? Or does the light come on and never go off until you clear the code yourself?
Thanks
Eric
eluebke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 07:42 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

The light comes on and stays until its cleared on my truck. Even after I clear it it might come back in ten minutes or a week. It also seemed to come on when the temp got low as well. Worked excellent all spring, summer and fall this year. After I cleaned the mass air flow sensor, the light hasn't come back yet. Hoping it cured.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:42 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

eluebke, from my experience the CEL light comes and goes. Determined by when you start the truck and if the egr work properly or not. After replacing the egr motor last weekend I have not had a CEL come on at all this week. I'm saying its fixed. Usually I would have got the light by now, once a week off and then on. This weekend project was replacing the Lower Trans cooler line, not too bad of a job.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:37 AM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

My light has not gone back out since I posted. I think I may try a new air filter and clean the mass air flow sensor. This seems to be the easiest fix to try first. If this doesn't work, how hard was it to get at the egr itself to try to clean it and change the motor for it? I'm really getting sick of looking at the orange engine light on my dash.
eluebke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.