Lbz to smokey - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
06-07.5 LBZ & LLY Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 09:19 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Lbz to smokey

Hey guys so recently picked up an 07 classic lbz it's got 240k Kms or about 160k miles. It's bone stock engine wise except for a k&n filter in the stock air intake housing.

It's been about 0 degrees Celsius out lately in the mornings and the truck at idle has a good bit of white hazel smoke coming out of exhaust, much like a normal gas engine would. Seems like more smoke than the light haze you guys talk of in other threads that the lbz has??

Also I have the edge evo cts so checked my balance rates and they are all within spec 1.3 was my highest reading down to -.8 being the lowest

When the edge is set on stock mode I also till get a hefty black cloud of smoke when I get on it and the smoke turns to a light haze as the turbo spools up

It runs awesome and no codes have been set but it smokes more than my 05 with a chip turned up!

I will be blocking the ear and doing a pcv reroute but do u guys think that will solve my smoke problems? Where should I be looking next?

Thanks for the help
20" Dropstar 645b
35" Toyo MT
4" Turboback Straightpipe
Edge Evolution CTS

Sold 2005 Lifted Ext. Cab Long Box LLY Duramax
BOOMER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 09:54 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

I don't think there is anything to be worried about. From what I've heard the haze at idle when starting it when its cold is all dependent on air density and what not.
As for the smoke on the stock tune, I know a guy who has a lbz that is completely stock and said the same thing and he never had a problem.

Also the egr blocker is a must, but as far as the pcv reroute goes I've heard people say its worth its weight in gold and other say there isn't much of a point in it.
mpeters0991 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 07:51 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

Bump anyone else opinions?

Truck also hazes a bit of smoke when I gear down in manual mode going down hills

Just smokes a lot more than a stock lbz should so there must be something I can do to fix
20" Dropstar 645b
35" Toyo MT
Edge Evolution CTS

Old 11-19-2012, 07:30 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Sounds pretty normal. How much haze at idle after its warm? What additive are you running? The LBZ with the edge is burning more fuel than your LLY. Put on a good air filter and see what it looks like, too much oil in the K and N will kill your air and gunk up your MAF. Cleaning the MAF may also help.
AirDog II 165
TransGo Jr/pump rub mod
Firestone bags
4" MBRP
Edge Insite CTS w/ backcam
Cognito W/Bilsteins

69 Camaro S/ST-S/Gas
SST 1953 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 07:38 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

When I start the truck it won't smoke white till put into drive, then puts a decent amount of white smoke out with low throttle but only for a about 400 feet down the rode the. It clears up. Mostly was concerned about the large amount put out when I put the pedal to the floor

Will get back to you but I think the MAF may have something to do with it, I've been running the codes every couple days and haven't set any off until today I got the p0101 for the MAF truck still runs awesome didn't set off the cel light either, I'm super happy with the truck and its getting good mileage as well

I run an am soil additive every few tanks now but I doubt before me anything had been run through it.

The k&n looks really clean and not oily but I'm gonna put a stocker back in anyways and clean the MAF and go from there.

Thanks for the reply
20" Dropstar 645b
35" Toyo MT
Edge Evolution CTS

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.