Adding Primary Fuel Filtration - Page 2 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
06-07.5 LBZ & LLY Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 08:06 PM   eBay Motors  #11 (permalink)

That is what I am saying..... Add a filter....but also add a small 8-10 psi inline pump. The plan being to light that pump any time the engine is running. Understand that should it die.....I would likely have fuel delivery issue.
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 08:21 PM   eBay Motors  #12 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Throw a raptor and a nictane adapter on and for under $500 you're set.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
PPE High Idle/Valet Switch
Bilstein shocks
Pro Comp Leveling kit
Air Ride 5000 bags
Nictane Cat Adapter 1R-0750 Filter
DSP2 By Nick, www.duramaxtuner.com
dieselnuts6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 10:20 PM   eBay Motors  #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SST 1953 View Post
The problem with that is going to be if it quits, can you pull through that pump with a sock on it? You won't pull through the Holley. The Holley also has orific's smaller that the fuel lines, so your pressure will be ok but your volume isn't. Plug your nose and breathe through a straw, now you know what your fuel system will feel like, extremely hard on the CP3. Your better off without the Holley, but if you want a pump like that go with a Mallory 140.
All the Mallory 140 pumps I can find have a 3/8" inlet/outlet as well.
http://mallory-ignition.com/media/in...0_140_0003.pdf
More on Jegs but all with 3/8".

140 Gallons per Hour, what other volume are you measuring?

These guys aren't having any problems yet.
Great lift pump for the $$$$$!!!
Old 11-28-2012, 10:32 PM   eBay Motors  #14 (permalink)

You can solve the issue of a failed pump with a manual valve and two t-fittings or a check valve for it to work automatically. This is the setup I used and tested it with my lift pump fuse pulled and it worked flawlessly.
EFI live with DSP5, Nicktane Aux Filter adapter and Filter head adapter with CAT water separator and 2 micron filter, Raptor 150 lift pump with check valve bypass, MA Engine Mounts and Trans Mount, MA Pump Rub Kit, SBC Dual disc, Straight pipe, Roadmaster active supension, Moog pitman/Idler/Support Bracket, Cognito support kit, Rare parts tie rods, Profab Turbo Horn, Intake heater delete, Kennedy high idle and airbox mod
07keo02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 11:05 PM   eBay Motors  #15 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

The orifics in the Holley are only 5/16" in the regulator to bring it down to 8-10 lbs, the Mallory regulator is still 3/8". You can run the Holley pump with a different regulator to get the same volume, but why. The Mallory will also last 10 times longer. If you plan on running it without the regulator, so long CP3, it isn't going to last long. Holley makes good carbs, not good fuel pumps.
AirDog II 165
TransGo Jr/pump rub mod
Firestone bags
4" MBRP
Edge Insite CTS w/ backcam
Cognito W/Bilsteins

69 Camaro S/ST-S/Gas
SST 1953 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 12:43 PM   eBay Motors  #16 (permalink)

Why the hell would they down side it 5/16"? I guess I'll quit trying to be a cheap ass and just spend the money on a good pump. Searching some more.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:48 PM   eBay Motors  #17 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

I found out the hard way running carb bowls dry about 1200ft down the track a few years ago. A friend gave me some advice and tried a Mallory 140 he had and I picked up 3 mph and 2 tenths. I also had a Holley on my 84 1ton 454 until then and it went bye bye. Much more power with the Mallory. For the money I would go with the Air Dog 165 or Fass systems for the Duramax.
AirDog II 165
TransGo Jr/pump rub mod
Firestone bags
4" MBRP
Edge Insite CTS w/ backcam
Cognito W/Bilsteins

69 Camaro S/ST-S/Gas
SST 1953 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 04:12 PM   eBay Motors  #18 (permalink)

So much good information here. I am not looking for more hp or any fancy tune. I am simply trying to provide cleaner fuel to the motor. Recognizing that the factory set up is sufficient for a factory tune, my fear is that by inserting another filter (of which I have plenty lying around....free...marine debris, stuffed in nooks and crannies on my boat) I will possibly strain the injection pump unduly. My plan is to plumb in a filter close to the tank, install a 10 micron element - and suck the fuel through it with a small 12v pump. It will probably feed pressure to the injection pump at about 8PSI give or take. This type pump will probably move maybe 25 gallons per hour. I may plumb a bypass to it so that should it quit on me I can bypass it and the filter.

Guys these lil pumps are about $20 and I have never had a problem out of one other than old age. I like them for priming the filters after a filter swap because all you do is spin on a filter, leave it a tad loose, run the pump and when the filter is full and begins to leak, snug it up. Viola....no fuss no either, no cracking injectors etc...
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.