Adding Primary Fuel Filtration - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
06-07.5 LBZ & LLY Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2012, 06:18 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Adding Primary Fuel Filtration

New to the Dmax. Not new to diesel engines. Surprised that my truck only has one filter.

On every boat I have skippered we have multiple filtration prior to being fed to the injectors. In general we would have a primary filter that would be say a 30 micron filter - - on up to a secondary filter that was 2 microns.

In one application we had a pair of Gulf Coast filters (Paper towel filters) that our fuel passed through before getting burned. Never a dirty fuel or a water issue with a pair of these.

I would like to add a filter inbetween the tank and the engine. Yet not willing to spend the 500 bills for a FASS system. I am sure I have a couple of housings available that I could mount under the frame rail.

What size fuel hose does the Dmax require in order to get sufficient fuel flow?

Would I need to add a small lift pump to keep from making life tough on my injector pump?

Has anyone created their own extra filter setup yet?
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2012, 06:32 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

There are plenty of ways to do so. Those of us that haven't yet installed a lift pump but still want the extra filtration are using an adapter that enables the use of a CAT 2 micron filter in place of the stocker.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
PPE High Idle/Valet Switch
Bilstein shocks
Pro Comp Leveling kit
Air Ride 5000 bags
Nictane Cat Adapter 1R-0750 Filter
DSP2 By Nick, www.duramaxtuner.com
dieselnuts6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 07:43 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

Already ordered that from Alligator..... I just want something else in the line before it gets to the cat filter. Just cause that is what I am used to -- Security.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:02 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Nictane Auxiliary Filter Kit
Sroufe7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 10:08 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

Here is a decent parts list. I'll be doing something similar.

Holly Fuel pump and cat filter DIY
Old 11-23-2012, 10:09 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

check out the " Do it yourself section."

How To's, DIY and Write ups - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Old 11-25-2012, 10:55 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

Great write up! That is right on what I was looking at doing! I do have a few questions for you if you get a chance.

1) Why the Holley 150 pump? Isnt that a bit of overkill? (Wouldnt 10 do the job?)
2) does the regulator kick that pump on and off a bunch?
3) will the factory injector pump pull through this setup with the Holley pump dead?
4) Priming/bleeding: do you open the bleed screw and cycle the holley until you get fuel?

I like the way you think!

If a diesel wont run....it's fuel.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:14 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
Go Green!

Id get a raptor pump over the holly.

I have not heard of people having much luck with the blue pumps
Old 11-28-2012, 03:09 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

Suppose I take an standard 12v lift pump (like we have on 6.2 diesel in boat as a priming pump) Break the line and stick in a DDC sock filter on the suction side and have it feed the beast.

I know that this style pump will flow enough fuel in the OFF position to run a 6.2 at max rpm continuous.

TankxxxxxxSockFilterxxxxxxxx12V10PSIxxxxxxxCATFILT ERxxxxxxCP3

Of course in this application I would wire the pump into the run circuit - - -The idea is to get additional filtration/water separation. I am not needing more fuel pressure to turn and burn or to tune (or for an sake SMOKE).... Just want to have better filtration without sucking the life out of my injection pump, or sucking the life out of my wallet for airdog or FASS.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:31 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

The problem with that is going to be if it quits, can you pull through that pump with a sock on it? You won't pull through the Holley. The Holley also has orific's smaller that the fuel lines, so your pressure will be ok but your volume isn't. Plug your nose and breathe through a straw, now you know what your fuel system will feel like, extremely hard on the CP3. Your better off without the Holley, but if you want a pump like that go with a Mallory 140.
AirDog II 165
TransGo Jr/pump rub mod
Firestone bags
4" MBRP
Edge Insite CTS w/ backcam
Cognito W/Bilsteins

69 Camaro S/ST-S/Gas
SST 1953 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.