Please help! Trouble starting - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
06-07.5 LBZ & LLY Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 05:10 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Please help! Trouble starting

I've been having a starting issue with the truck. It happens mostly (but not limited to) early in the morning. Ill turn the key up, wait for the glow plugs, and then when I try to start, click click click... Usually if I let it hit the starter for long enough it will turn over like normal. Here's what's strange, for two weeks now, I was sure the issue was resolved as I replaced both batteries and the starter. I'm going to double check my connection to the starter in a second. Also on the starter, I noticed the bracket thing on the solenoid seems very loose, not sure if thats right or not. I'm just very frustrated with it at the moment and it seems I'm running out of options. Please help guys, my fear is some crazy electrical issue.
EFIdmax06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2012, 05:45 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
Slave to the Interwebs

The " Click, Click, Click" usually means there is a loose connection somewhere.

06 2500 CREW CAB 4X4 LBZ LOONNGGGGG BED
EXHAUST,EFI LIVE,S&B COLD AIR INTAKE
AUTOMETER GAUGES, TRANSGO JR, BLOCKED, TIE ROD SLEEVES...

WORK RIG
2014 3500 CREW,DUALLY, LML, HARBOR 9' UTILITY BED Bone Freakin Stock
This is not only your forum you have to share it with almost 100,000 others
Johnasara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 07:33 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

The small wire on the solenoid is tight however, the pedestal it bolts to is very loose feeling
Old 12-01-2012, 09:27 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
كافر
Lifetime Supporting Member

Check your ground wires, dmax requires lot of amps to turn it over. My money is on a loose/missing ground jumper.
LBZ CCSB 4x4. sealed. blocked. re-routed. shimmed. EFI by Kory 4" MBRP downpipe-back. Alligator trans cooler hoses. 3" Pro-Fab downpipe. Transgo Jr. Banks ram air intake. MA pump rub fix. Rare Parts tie rods. Fumoto Valve. AirDog 150. Nicktane CAT filter adapter.

http://performancetruckproducts.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery."
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyin6 View Post
You know the real problem is not Obama
It's the millions who put him in office and twice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint Smith
"When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away."
ty_LBZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 09:36 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
كافر
Lifetime Supporting Member

Which part is loose?
LBZ CCSB 4x4. sealed. blocked. re-routed. shimmed. EFI by Kory 4" MBRP downpipe-back. Alligator trans cooler hoses. 3" Pro-Fab downpipe. Transgo Jr. Banks ram air intake. MA pump rub fix. Rare Parts tie rods. Fumoto Valve. AirDog 150. Nicktane CAT filter adapter.

http://performancetruckproducts.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery."
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyin6 View Post
You know the real problem is not Obama
It's the millions who put him in office and twice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint Smith
"When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away."
ty_LBZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 10:21 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty_LBZ View Post
Which part is loose?
Basically according to your picture, the very top left where the smaller of the two wires hooks up. The gold colored bracket is shakey
Old 12-01-2012, 10:28 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

It came out of the box that way so I figured I'd leave it alone
Old 12-01-2012, 11:35 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

I had the same problem. Mine was the wires conecting to the ignition. I like my stearing wheel tilted all the way down. Next time it does that tilt your wheel up and try and start it, if it starts theirs your problem.
fonzas05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 11:50 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzas05 View Post
I had the same problem. Mine was the wires conecting to the ignition. I like my stearing wheel tilted all the way down. Next time it does that tilt your wheel up and try and start it, if it starts theirs your problem.
Thank you! Ill try that
Old 12-23-2012, 01:05 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Well mine went into the no start mode again,and this time i would turn the key and nothing. Turns out it was the starter.The dealer told me about the tilt problem, said the wires stretch when you tilt down causing a bad connection.Said he has seen this problem alot so thats were i got that info. Starter cost 520 dollars at dealer installed with warranty.
fonzas05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.