Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum

Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum (http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/)
-   06-07.5 LBZ & LLY Duramax Powertrain (http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/06-07-5-lbz-lly-duramax-powertrain/)
-   -   DIY for EGR? (http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/06-07-5-lbz-lly-duramax-powertrain/151604-diy-egr.html)

limabee 12-29-2012 04:30 PM

DIY for EGR?

Does anyone have a link to a DIY for an EGR removal and replacement?

Thanks

Mike

clinebarger 12-29-2012 05:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Changing the EGR valve motor is easy, The valve itself is more involved.

EGR Valve Motor Removal Procedure.

Some vehicles may have a thin metal spacer between the motor and the valve that appears to be a gasket. This spacer is used to correct for production variances in some valves and should be reinstalled with the new motor.

Disconnect the negative battery cable.
Remove the air cleaner outlet duct, if necessary.
Remove the EGR valve motor harness connector.
Remove the four mounting screws from the EGR valve motor to the EGR valve. Discard the old mounting screws.
Remove the EGR motor and spacer (if equipped) from the engine. Save the spacer.
The EGR valve motor is packaged with new mounting screws.
Install the spacer (if equipped), the EGR valve motor and the new mounting screws to the EGR valve.
Tighten the four new mounting screws to 18 lb in.
Install the EGR valve motor harness connector.
Install the air cleaner outlet duct, if removed.
Connect the negative battery cable.

Cycle the ignition key to the run position with the engine not running to relearn the new EGR valve motor pintle position.

limabee 12-30-2012 04:49 AM

The dealer stated I had low flow from the egr and said it should be replaced at a cost of 800 and that it would take 4 hours. It sounds like they are talking about doing the valve as well. What does replacing the valve entail and is that normally necessary or just the motor? Thanks mike

smokinlmm 12-30-2012 04:58 AM

Take it apart yourself and clean it. More than likely that's all the dealer is gonna do. And what year is the truck?

limabee 12-30-2012 05:00 AM

It's an 06 3500 dually

limabee 12-30-2012 05:02 AM

Do they make a specific duramax book or would it be covered in a chiton so I can get all of the torque info for a reinstall of all the components?

clinebarger 12-30-2012 03:24 PM

I disabled my EGR yesterday.....You can buy HPtuners & a EGR blocker, And just turn the EGR off for around $775, And never have to deal with the EGR system again. If you just fix it....It will cause problems again. As a bonus...Less soot in your oil:)

HPtuners HPTuners.com >> Performance At Your Fingertips
EGR blocker LBZ EGR Blocker Plate

I bought HPtuners because its cheaper than EFI live, If your after better support for your LBZ other than turning the EGR off & calibrating the speedo, Buy EFI live!

Buying tuning software will also allow you to scan & retrieve codes.

Im sure a vendor on the site can turn the EGR off via auto-cal cheaper, But I like doing my own stuff.

jacobdewey 12-30-2012 03:29 PM

I got a custom-made EFI live tune from ATP trucks, and then a real delete (one that takes the whole egr system out) for less than $300.

clinebarger 12-30-2012 05:35 PM

Some of us are happy with our trucks, & dont want to do major surgery.

smokinlmm 12-31-2012 04:01 AM

It's actually very easy, it's harder to reinstall it than delete it. But that is solely your decision buddy...