Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

truck started, then quit

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  DieselpoweredGMC 
#1 ·
Went out this morning and started truck up and it quit running after about 5 seconds. It was in the mid 20s last night and thought the fuel may have been gelled up. Changed the filter (those damn fender liners are a pain) and primed it all up and still, won't start.

Back in the fall when it started getting colder, I noticed it surging and pulsing at idle when it was cold, then it wouldn't do it when it warmed up. Called service center at dealership and they said it could be the fuel pump and/or regulator.

Called another shop who just works on diesels and they said it could be that or the lift pump, cam sensor, or crank sensor.

Anyone ever experienced this and how much was the damage?

#2 ·
Eliminate lift pump, the shop that said that doesn't know duramax, because they dont put lift pumps on stock, that's an aftermarket thing. The surging at idle sounds like a problem I had awhile back, fuel pressure regulator. It was about $50 bucks and 5 hours of my time. The cam sensor is more of a 7.3 powerstroke issue, I would get a regulator and see if that fixes it. If your check engine light is on, pull the codes and post them up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.