Water Pump - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
06-07.5 LBZ & LLY Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2013, 12:58 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Water Pump

Hey guys, last week my water pump was leaking and finally starting leaking pretty good. Called a couple shops. 1- shop wanted $800-900 parts and install. I even called the dealership to get a laugh. They quoted me $1800 for parts and install. I asked them how many hours are they basing this one. They said 9-10 hours. I was like dayumm.

Well I did my water pump in about 5 hours. But now since I know what to do, I can probably do it with-in 2 hours. It was a good experience and learned some things about my motor. I also changed my tensioner and replaced 2 idler pullys. Also put on a new belt while it was off. I think the hardest part was getting the fan shroud lower bolts loose. Its a tight fit but not impossible. I have to say the job went easy and kinda fast when you have all the right parts and tools. Plus for a week I watched you-tube videos on the water pump. lol. Oh I also replaced the lower radiator hose and also fixed my oil cooler leak too. So far everything is running great and no leaks.
2006 Chevy Silverado ..LBZ..mbrp 5" turbo exhaust (no muffler or cats) modified stock air intake, EFI by Kory Willis, Big Dipper stage IV trans, Precision ML, Pump rub fix, Alligator trans lines, Autometer guages, Airdog II-165, Ready Lift leveling kit, 285/75 Nitto Dune Grappler, Bilstein shocks, Cognito idler and pitman arm braces, PPE tie rod sleeves, fingerstick, blocker plate, pvc reroute,air intake regulator blocked, Banks boost tube, All Amsoil fluids.
tmm403 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2013, 01:34 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Good job-- every thing is kinda intimidating at first, but most are just nuts and bolts-- and a little common sense.

Glad it worked for you.
Chevy 04.5 LLY, 2X, shell, XDR, MikeL Heavy duty up-grade, 6spd, TransGo, deep pan, blocked, fingered, de-badged, PCV, 65 Gallon replacement Aero tank, PPE on 2, LBZ-mp, Kennedy pump, shimmed, Pre-fuel filter, tow mirrors, BU cam, gauges, GPS, Sirius, bags, custom grille, fender vents, HD trans cooler- Curt front hitch, footwell lights, load lights, Studs, head gaskets.--- Jerry
jc1843 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2013, 01:37 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

Nice job!

2008 Chevrolet Suburban
1991 Chevrolet 1500 Step Side
2003 GMC LB7 CC/LB (sold)
Shov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2013, 06:28 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
rms
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporting Member

Good work

2007 LBZ 4x4 regular cab
S & B Intake - Diablo Predator
285/75/16 Cooper ATP's - 8' Bedslide
Amp Steps - Bilsteins - Fumoto

The Arizona Diesel Club
rms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2013, 06:31 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

always cheaper to do it yourself
2004 lb7 ccsb 4x4. Efi live tuned by Rob at ATP, Built trans by Brad at Calvins Auto, Wehrli custom fab s475/stock twin turbo kit, ARP head studs, tie rod sleeves, cognito idler/pitman arm braces, cognito traction bars, airdog 165, turbo horn, LML driver side manifold, cat fuel filter adapter 1r-0749, installed cab lights and tow mirrors. NBS back seats. 6 inch zone offroad lift lowered down and running 305/55/20, optima red tops, Mbrp 5 inch turbo back straight pipe exhaust.

Soon to come: Built motor
dieseladdiction23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2013, 06:45 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
I know nothing
Lifetime Supporting Member

Good job! Water pumps are easy, but can be intimidating at first! I agree with the hardest part being the stupid fan shroud.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:53 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

Thanks guys. I think my next project might be an EGR delete and downpipe. Hopefully that goes well.
2006 Chevy Silverado ..LBZ..mbrp 5" turbo exhaust (no muffler or cats) modified stock air intake, EFI by Kory Willis, Big Dipper stage IV trans, Precision ML, Pump rub fix, Alligator trans lines, Autometer guages, Airdog II-165, Ready Lift leveling kit, 285/75 Nitto Dune Grappler, Bilstein shocks, Cognito idler and pitman arm braces, PPE tie rod sleeves, fingerstick, blocker plate, pvc reroute,air intake regulator blocked, Banks boost tube, All Amsoil fluids.
tmm403 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2013, 11:18 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm403 View Post
Thanks guys. I think my next project might be an EGR delete and downpipe. Hopefully that goes well.
U will die with the downpipe. It was horrible to watch be done. It took forever, and uve got to be flexible, and ober half way in the motor bay lol.
Not easy at all
2007.5 LMM LTZ CCSB SRW 4X4: 10 inch JL subs in a probox under backseat: Hifonics 2500 watt AMP: Kenwood DDX790: Infinitie speakers: Weathertech liners: Camo woodgrain: Camo air vents: Denalli cup holder: LED interior lights: ISS Pro: Spyder smoked tails-3rd brake light: Retro Solutions reverse bulbs: recon smoked cab lights: Rigid D2 on front ranch hand: Lows fogs 55 watt 8k HID'S: S&B intake: 3" downpipe: 4" exhaust: 8 inch black tip: Transgo shift kit: SDP EGR delete: LB7 up pipe: PCV reroute: All on headlight mod: EFI live from Rob 20,60,90,120,150 DSP5 keylock: Flashed by J.stanton2009 on his V2 : Cognito UCA'S: Cognito braces: Sleeves: Bilstein stabilizer: BMF Novakane 22-10.5: 305-45R22: Leveled
pbatathunder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2013, 11:24 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbatathunder View Post
U will die with the downpipe. It was horrible to watch be done. It took forever, and uve got to be flexible, and ober half way in the motor bay lol.
Not easy at all
Dont listen to this guy ^^.

Its fairly easy actually. Remove the passenger side fender liner so you can get in there and work. Take the turbo heat shield, bend the shit out of it to get it out of there. Long ratchet wreches and a long 1/2 in dr flex head ratchet Re the keys.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
5" DE, rerouted, debadged, demolded, 18X9 BMF Novakanes Stealth wrapped with 285/65/18 Nitto Trail Grappler MTs, rare parts tie rods, 45 gallon transfer flow replacement tank, Amp power steps, All Season bulletproof trans/power steering line kit, Airdog II 165, Nicktane with Cat filter, Edge Insight CTS

Big thanks, Duramaxtuner.com & Willie @ Synthetic Motorsports
TakeEm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2013, 11:26 AM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

Good job god bless youtube hey? It's funny when I bought my LMM and looked under the hood I was like "I'll never turn a wrench on this thing"... figured it would be a dealership queen. Besides very minor warranty work I have done everything myself. The Transgo Jr. I'll admit scared me as I was messing with the almighty Allison. But it all comes together and one day I finally realized that it's just a truck!
OIL99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.