Blue smoke - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
06-07.5 LBZ & LLY Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2009, 10:14 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Blue smoke

Hey guys, when i put my 5 inch straight pipe on my truck it started blowing blue smoke at idle, it does this when it is hot or cold and my truck only has 20,000 miles what do you guys think is causing it to blow blue smoke? does my truck need to be reprogrammed or something?

thanks, drew

Last edited by drew18; 03-24-2009 at 10:22 PM.
drew18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2009, 10:22 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

brand new pipe...just blowin some oil and watnot out thats on the piping its comp. normal u'll see that with a brand new exhaust
Motorops Autocal, FASS 150, diamond eye 5" TB,6" Fabtech Lift, 35x12.5 toyo MT'S,20inch Fuel Pumps, Edge insight CTS, Megawarrior&Canopy, BOSS grill,Iron Cross front and rear, Pioneer In dash, 2 JL12W3-2 subs, LED's 360degrees, Banks CAI, Curt class 5 hitch, FS airbags

SOLD 2002 LB7, CC/SB 4x4 SLT
PERFORMANCE:
EFI live, Airdog2, Edge insight cts, s&b intake, 4" TB MBRP, PPE BIV, SCIV trans, 1056 converter, banks exhaust brake, digital pyro, mechanical boost, BD Blow off valve, sleeves
Duramax-LML is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2009, 10:27 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

I put the exhaust on around 1000 miles ago could it take that long to burn the oil off the pipe?
Old 03-24-2009, 10:33 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

hmmm I would say that could be pushin it mine stuck around for about 1 full tank of diesel and thats bout it...It flared up another time about 600mi in then I didnt see it again

last fuel filter change?? I couldnt imagine it beeing the injectors...and it doesnt look like a timing issue cuz its stock tune right?
Motorops Autocal, FASS 150, diamond eye 5" TB,6" Fabtech Lift, 35x12.5 toyo MT'S,20inch Fuel Pumps, Edge insight CTS, Megawarrior&Canopy, BOSS grill,Iron Cross front and rear, Pioneer In dash, 2 JL12W3-2 subs, LED's 360degrees, Banks CAI, Curt class 5 hitch, FS airbags

PERFORMANCE:
EFI live, Airdog2, Edge insight cts, s&b intake, 4" TB MBRP, PPE BIV, SCIV trans, 1056 converter, banks exhaust brake, digital pyro, mechanical boost, BD Blow off valve, sleeves
Old 03-24-2009, 10:36 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

The only mods it has is a cold air intake, straight pipe and i have the turbo resonator plugged, other then that it is completely stock, and my driver display thing says my fuel filter has 63% life left.

Last edited by drew18; 03-24-2009 at 10:39 PM.
drew18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2009, 10:46 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

havent had this prob...any1 else got anything...BUMP

PERFORMANCE:
Old 03-25-2009, 04:48 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
DF Sponsors

If your worried about it, take it to the dealer and have your balance rates read. Otherwise, my truck has done that since new, (not blue smoke, but a gray haze) and my balance rates are perfect. You might not have noticed it as much, but since you removed the cat, it's expelling the particulate that would have normally been trapped by the converter.

Shop Location - 4470 W. Seltice Way, Ste. E - Post Falls, ID 83854
DPF Delete PKG's - Gauge Packages - PRICE BEAT GUARANTEE - Blocker Plates
AlligatorPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2009, 06:18 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlligatorPerformance View Post
If your worried about it, take it to the dealer and have your balance rates read. Otherwise, my truck has done that since new, (not blue smoke, but a gray haze) and my balance rates are perfect. You might not have noticed it as much, but since you removed the cat, it's expelling the particulate that would have normally been trapped by the converter.
I agree with what he said. Mine has done the same thing since I put my exhaust on. More blue when it's cold out, can't say I've seen smoke idling warm.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:09 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

mine smokes real bad blue smoke when its cold
Green
Put 582 995
05greendmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2009, 04:21 AM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

blue

mine will smoke a little in the morning when i start it.
AFE stage 2 intake
Superchips set to tow performance
13% tint and vent guards
deerenwr14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.