Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum

Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum (http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/)
-   06-07.5 LBZ & LLY Duramax Powertrain (http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/06-07-5-lbz-lly-duramax-powertrain/)
-   -   Oil capacity and type questions... (http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/06-07-5-lbz-lly-duramax-powertrain/23784-oil-capacity-type-questions.html)

Reidler 05-08-2009 08:48 AM

Oil capacity and type questions...

OK, SO I am going to convert my truck over to Amsoil this week, but need some info.

First of all, capacities:

-Allison 6 speed trans with stock pan (enough for a complete flush and filter change)
-Duramax engine oil (including filter)
-stock rear end
-Transfer case

Next, types:

-Transmission. ATL or Torque-Drive (ATD)
-Engine. I think I have my mind made up on this one already. Going with the HDD 5W-30
-Differential. no idea which one to use.
-Transfer case

Finally, filters:
-Engine oil filter: I want to go with the Ea filter but don't know which one.

My stock air filter is still fine and I will probably stick with it.

Thanks for any and all help!

j4nash 05-08-2009 08:53 AM

bigdaddydiesel is the man to ask. He can help you out with what is best to run.

bigjerm7 05-08-2009 08:56 AM

+1 for the stock rear end capacity. 3.73 is all i can find and the amsoil site has the ring gears listed. 09 3500 4wd 6.6l.

Toypuller 05-08-2009 09:09 AM

BAD idea on the engine oil. You need more viscosity.

mrmanners 05-08-2009 09:18 AM

Bigdaddydiesel can provide you a list of types of fluid and capacities from the AMSOIL website. Great stuff, you won't be sorry.

Reidler 05-08-2009 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toypuller (Post 264593)
BAD idea on the engine oil. You need more viscosity.

Ok, what's your suggestion?
That's why I posted. I want to get the right oil the first time. The Amsoil literature say use HDD.

palposity 05-08-2009 09:22 AM

x3 on bigdaddydiesel he knows all.

bigjerm7 05-08-2009 09:23 AM

5w-40 ain't a whole lot different from 10w-40.

bigdaddydiesel 05-08-2009 10:16 AM

Ok...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reidler (Post 264575)
OK, SO I am going to convert my truck over to Amsoil this week, but need some info.

You Pay What I Pay Always!!!

First of all, capacities: I am going to send you a link to help you find all of the proper capacities for ANY application, not only your truck.

-Allison 6 speed trans with stock pan (enough for a complete flush and filter change)
Ordering Three Gallons Of Torque Drive will do the full flush for the tranny and transfer case

-Duramax engine oil (including filter)
You need 2.5 Gallons Of Oil I highly recommend the 5w-40 Premium DEO, it is the best overall diesel oil we offer, period.

-stock rear end
4 pints of Severe Gear 75w-90 in both the front and rear diffs for light duty applications.

-Transfer case
Refer to above

Next, types:

-Transmission. ATL or Torque-Drive (ATD)
Yep, that is the one.
-Engine. I think I have my mind made up on this one already. Going with the HDD 5W-30
Nope, I highly recommend the DEO Premium 5w-40

-Differential. no idea which one to use.
Severe Gear 75w-90

-Transfer case
Torque Drive

Finally, filters:

-Engine oil filter: I want to go with the Ea filter but don't know which one.
Part # EAO52

My stock air filter is still fine and I will probably stick with it.
The EA Air Filters are Heads and above better then stock and they are direct replacement, cleanable dry filters that offer sub micron particle filtration over and above any other filter on the market period. Let me know if you would like more info on that.

Thanks for any and all help!

You are MORE than welcome.

I hope this helps, but let me know if you would also like to know how to save up to 25% off of retail prices with your order!!!

God Bless

Chris

bigdaddydiesel 05-08-2009 10:22 AM

For anyone wanting to check capacities, click the link below and then enter your truck information and then once the recommended product page is up go ahead and scroll to the bottom of the page to the capacities section.

AMSOIL Auto and Light Truck Online Look up Guide