Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

How do I turn off a check engine light?

30K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  free2reem 
#1 ·
My buddy has an 07 Classic with a Duramax. He hooked up a plug and play programmer for a few days to see if he liked it ,then took it off and every since the check engine light has ben on.Is there a way to turn it off without a scanner?

#4 ·
#5 ·
You can just drive the truck to an auto parts store. Most of them have code readers that will get you the code, and also let you clear it. Some of them will clear it, and some won't. Here for example, Autozone's reader won't clear the codes, but O'rilley's will clear them. But thats your best bet, and it's free as well!!

#6 ·
x2...didnt know they would clear them...my local advanced and autozone wont..but its not a bad investment for 25 bucks to get that scan tool...and it works on everything obd-2 so your friends can use it to.

either way goodluck

#10 ·
turn key on, depress throttle 5 times to floor.

Reactions: tedelman
#15 ·
It works on LB7's. clears any code history.

#16 ·
x2 LLY's as well.

if im not mistaken it even messed with my tcm..becuase i remember it shifting funny for a little while after i did it.

and banks told me to originally do it becuase they're box stopped working becuase it saw a "tranny issue" somewhere

#17 ·
Learned it from them too when my box took a dump.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.