crank position sensor - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
06-07.5 LBZ & LLY Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2010, 07:36 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

crank position sensor

hi, new here and to the diesel world. just got an 07 2500 and have had it in the shop 2 times in past 4 weeks cause the crankshaft position sensor keeps going out. has anyone seen this before?
NYdiesel_nutz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2010, 10:42 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
Oh...... Squirrel!

Welcome to the forum!

I heard of them go once but usually a new one will cure it. Maybe the dealer is cranking it down to tight? Or it could be a defective part. Post back if it goes out again.
Exterior: Escalade Handles, Front windows tinted to match the rear, painted bumpers & mirrors, billet grille, 305/50/20 Cooper Zeons on BMF Novakanes Death Metal, Cognito Braces, Stainless Sleeves, Train Horns
Interior: 4 Kicker 10in Subs in 2 custom box's, Autometer Ultra lite II Pyro and Boost gauges, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge, HID Lows & Fogs, Painted accents
Performance: EFI Live Tuned by Blackout Performance, Custom Blackout Performance S475 over stock twins, 45 over stock injectors, MBRP Turbo Back Stainless Exhaust (Straight piped), Raptor Lift Pump, AFE Filter, GMAX6 kit with Suncoast 1057 converter installed by Blackout Performance
1999 Ford F-550 PowerStroke ''Wrecker'' **Jerrdan bed, S&B Intake
Tow Master is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2010, 07:40 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

so the sensor went agan today. ive had the truck 3 months and had it in the shop for this the same number of times. anyone know anything?!? its pissing me off now.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:57 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

Mine went out twice. First time they replaced it under warranty. The second time they could not findout why the truck would not start. They spent two days on it and it would not throw a code. It turned out my edge chip was the problem, they took it out and it started right up! We told them to throw the chip in the trash and it has not had a problem since!
PERFORMANCE PARTS: Idaho Rob tuned EFI, K+N Intake, Magnaflow 4" Exhaust w/ 5" tip, Edge chip removed (JUNK-blew out crank sensor twice), 15w-40 Amsoil Synthetic, New Injectors @ 63.5k with 16 days to go on warranty :rockin
EXTERIOR ACCESSORIES: Lowered 6" Front-8" Rear, C-Notched, Axle Flipped, Transmission Cross Member Raised, Firestone compressor and air bags,Timbren 540 overloand springs, bullet proof steering tie rods, 3.73 Posi
MY STANDARDS ARE ALMOST AS LOW AS MY TRUCK!
prick62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2010, 08:07 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

thats the thing, its stock. i think the mech is just to damn lazy to trace it and see wtf is really going on. luckily i still have the warranty.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:25 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

ok so dealership finally got it. there were a few wires that had chaffed thru and were shorting out the sensor. figures.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:56 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

good to hear should hook up in dewitt daily

:

4" mbrp with 3" mbrp downpipe, PROFAB EGR delete pipe,, manifolds,,and uppipes. ARP headstuds. Trans-go jr. Quad 2 for now. Edge Insight CTS.

EFI someday
cuse diesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2010, 07:59 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran
Lifetime Supporting Member

I was gonna say it sounded like a subpar mechanic who didnt want to trace wires. We all hate doing it from time to time, but if youve had to replace that many sensors its time to look elseware.
Durallymax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2011, 07:15 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
AKA 01 D_Max

I know you posted this a while ago...

Quote:
Originally Posted by prick62 View Post
Mine went out twice. First time they replaced it under warranty. The second time they could not findout why the truck would not start. They spent two days on it and it would not throw a code. It turned out my edge chip was the problem, they took it out and it started right up! We told them to throw the chip in the trash and it has not had a problem since!
I just upgraded to EFI Live. And I am still waiting for my tunes. But When I tried to start the truck after unhooking the Edge. It wouldnt start. Crankshaft position sensor. I think the edge blew it. Now it only runs with the Edge hooked up. U have any more info about this?

Or call us... 920-765-1615

SOLD
2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD, CC,SB
EFI Live V2 w/dsp5 MAX EFFORT by Idaho Rob,
EGT's Never higher than 1150*
Cognito Braces, and ATP Sleeves, BD Manifold, ARP H.Studs, M.P. mod, MA Aluminum Bleeder, PPE Boost Valve, Banks Ram Air- Intercooler, FASS 150, LBZ FPR, Shimmed FPRV, 4" MBRP turbo back exhaust w/6"tip, Corsa Muffler
@180,000-New injectors from Lincoln Diesel, CAT Adapter/filter/spacer

Air Lift, Bilstein Shocks, Leveling Kit, Recon LED tail lights & over cab lights, 20" Forged Aluminum WELD Racing Rims, 295/55/20 Nitto Trail Grappler Tires
Aaron@LDS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2011, 07:37 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

Mine would only run without the Edge. When the Edge was hooked up it did not run so we told the shop to throw the F'N thing away and it has ran ever since!
PERFORMANCE PARTS: Idaho Rob tuned EFI, K+N Intake, Magnaflow 4" Exhaust w/ 5" tip, Edge chip removed (JUNK-blew out crank sensor twice), 15w-40 Amsoil Synthetic, New Injectors @ 63.5k with 16 days to go on warranty :rockin
EXTERIOR ACCESSORIES: Lowered 6" Front-8" Rear, C-Notched, Axle Flipped, Transmission Cross Member Raised, Firestone compressor and air bags,Timbren 540 overloand springs, bullet proof steering tie rods, 3.73 Posi
MY STANDARDS ARE ALMOST AS LOW AS MY TRUCK!
prick62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.