what kind of oil should i use? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
06-07.5 LBZ & LLY Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2010, 09:01 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

what kind of oil should i use?

so im due for a oil change for the past 2 times i been using synthetic mobil 1 turbo diesel 5W-40 i herd from people that work on big rigs that synthetic oil is not good for diesel motor's reason 1 is cuz its to thin not sure if its completely true i don't see any leaks on my motor. people also say that i should be using 15W-40 not 5W-40? would ROTELLA non synthetic be a good choice? would me changing from Synthetic oil to regular hurt my engine?
2006 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 LLY, 10" CST lift, 4" RBP Exhaust cat delete, AFE stage 2 intake, Transgo JR, diamond eye DP, Edge Attitude, 38" Toyo M/T, 18"ATX wheels, AMP steps, Mag-Hytec differential cover, lots of extra's
2006duramax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2010, 09:04 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
saw what you did there
Lifetime Supporting Member

Here we go!

/buckles up for an oil wars thread.
6K Lows, 3K Fogs, Tint.
CLICK BEFORE YOU POST!

theunderlord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2010, 09:05 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

There talking out there ass..
Youll be fine with mobil 1..and 5w40 flows better in cold climates than 15w40...

LMM RIP 10/9/10

maxxflip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2010, 09:17 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

I have been using the same oil (Mobil 5/40) for a while now. Alot of people on the site use a 5/40 oil. Mobil 5/40 says that it recommended for duramax diesel engines.
Duramax Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2010, 09:19 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

why is it recommended for duramax engines?
2006 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 LLY, 10" CST lift, 4" RBP Exhaust cat delete, AFE stage 2 intake, Transgo JR, diamond eye DP, Edge Attitude, 38" Toyo M/T, 18"ATX wheels, AMP steps, Mag-Hytec differential cover, lots of extra's
Old 11-24-2010, 09:28 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
Public Enemy #1
Supporting Member

181xxx Rotella 15-w40 miles

Truck runs awesome

$30 for 2.5 gal Tractor Supply Company - Home
Old 11-24-2010, 09:32 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

I have always run Rotella 15-40 in every piece of diesel equipment I own. Boats, tractors, trucks, mowers, etc. I have done this with great oil analysis and limited leaks on rough service motors tractors/boats. We live in Hatteras and its rough as F^%K here most of the time. Spoke with Rotella yesterday about switching from 15-40 to 5-40 because I had a hairbrained thought about switching from something that is not broken. The tech told me directly that diesels were not designed for synthetics regardless of some of the upsides to them ie better cold start. Aside from the occasional "yeah I use synthetic with no problems," every mechanic that I know and trust said stick with Rotella T 15-40 because it was designed for these engines and handles soot very effectively. They do 100's of O/A on various engines and find that Rotella maintains the highest test results acrosse the board.

The Rotella tech said "try 5-40 if you want, but if you have leaks switch right back to 15-40." Then proceeded to say "why would you switch when you have no leaks/problems and you are gaining very little by switching anyway." End quote. Mind made up 15-40 went in the truck last night...again. The tech knew I was buying Rotella no matter what so he was unbiased except for the $4/Ga. diff in retail price. I asked him if he would run synthetic in my 450 cummins c seris and he said no...absolutely not. Again, direct from Rotella.

Let the wars begin...However oil is personal preference...cant debate that. Choose what oil you feel comfortable with. Engine companies dont make oil and oil compaines dont make engines, so if either fail, the other is not going to pay for it... Rotella isnt buying you an engine if you run synthetic through it and it goes ZING POW. Buy what has worked for billions (with a B) of miles on over the road trucks pulling 80k LBS Rotella T 15w-40.
05 LLY CC SB 4X4, K&N ON LBZ INTAKE, RESONATOR PLUG, LBZ MP, 4" SILVERLINE, PCV RE-ROUTE, PORTED FUEL RAIL FITTING, EGR DELETE TUBE, FPRV SHIMMED, AIR DOG II 165, DEEP PAN/FILTER LOCK, TRANS-GO JR SHIFT KIT, SYN BLEND TRANS FLUID, PPE STANDARD, H2 WHEELS WRAPPED IN 295 GRAPS, HID H/L/F ALL ON, LED PLATE LIGHTS, MANUAL HIGH IDLE, GATORBACK SERP BELT, TORSION KEYS, TIE ROD SLEEVES, ARP HEAD STUDS

Oxcart- 01-18-2011, 11:43 PM
Thread-efi smoke tune help

"You will be back hippy."
Pura.Vida is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2010, 09:39 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

Oh my this is crazy stuff what to go with my nabor had a 2001 cummins all he runs is Rotella 15w-40
Old 11-24-2010, 09:43 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

Is it still running?
05 LLY CC SB 4X4, K&N ON LBZ INTAKE, RESONATOR PLUG, LBZ MP, 4" SILVERLINE, PCV RE-ROUTE, PORTED FUEL RAIL FITTING, EGR DELETE TUBE, FPRV SHIMMED, AIR DOG II 165, DEEP PAN/FILTER LOCK, TRANS-GO JR SHIFT KIT, SYN BLEND TRANS FLUID, PPE STANDARD, H2 WHEELS WRAPPED IN 295 GRAPS, HID H/L/F ALL ON, LED PLATE LIGHTS, MANUAL HIGH IDLE, GATORBACK SERP BELT, TORSION KEYS, TIE ROD SLEEVES, ARP HEAD STUDS

Oxcart- 01-18-2011, 11:43 PM
Thread-efi smoke tune help

"You will be back hippy."
Pura.Vida is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2010, 09:52 AM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

lol yeah he said that should be the best oil for diesel thats why i been looking into the Rotella hi only has 60,000 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.