Improve Fuel Mileage... - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
06-07.5 LBZ & LLY Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2011, 01:34 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Arrow Improve Fuel Mileage...

Just like everyone else, I am trying to get better fuel economy. I understand that the winter fuel does have an impact but I want to go over what I have done to try and improve overall fuel mileage. Lately I have been doing a lot of in town city driving and I know that does not help. Most of the year I get about 16-18 around town and 20-22 on the road and That is pretty good and I am happy with that. But right now, I am getting anywhere between 11-13 in town driving. I am in the middle of doing a fuel analysis with Stanadyne and it seems to have helped so far. I will post a write up once I have completed my little test or whatever you want to call it. Keep in mind, all of the MPG that I have posted above have been hand calculated, im not paying attention to the DIC. I am not towing anything at the moment.

Note: All of this driving has been done on my fuel economy tune, under what I consider "normal conservative driving" light on the skinny pedal and no hard take offs. (grandpa driving)

What I have done so far:
-New trans fluid and spin on filter.
-New oil and filter
-New fuel filter
-Cleaned air filter
-Cleaned MAF
-Bumped up air pressure in tires to around 80 PSI (running 285/75/16 Michelins)

You can see what has been done to my truck in my sig.

I have noticed a slight decrease in MPG as soon as I installed the blocker plate, but that was right around the time winter fuel started last year so idk if its just in my head.

Will have to say that diesel is not the highest or the lowest around here so I do consider myself lucky. Its around $3.78 here now. 2 weeks ago it was $3.50

Just wanted to see if I have missed anything here and I am open to all suggestions to help out the mileage since diesel is going up.

Thank you :rockin

EFI Live DSP5|AirDog II 165| Flex-A-Lite Electric Fans| 2" Drop Shackles| 5" MBRP Exhaust| Down Pipe| S&B Intake| PPE & Aeroforce Gauges| 20x9 XD Hoss 795| 305/55/20 Falken Wild Peak A/T| PPE Fittings| PCV Reroute| EGR Blocked| HD Tie Rod Sleeves| B&W Hitch| 10" Kicker Comp VR
duramax07tmd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2011, 02:12 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
2500HD Club Member
Supporting Member

How long do you let your truck idle in the morning?

Thanks to alligator performance
maineloggerlbz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2011, 02:14 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

blocker plate will decrease your mileage you need to go ahead and spend the $$$ on an EGR delete kit that reroutes everything. blocked mine once and mpg when to shit so now im gonna go with an allseason egr delete kit
2007 LBZ CC/SB SLT 4x4, 5" Magnaflow SS, S&B CIA, Firestone Airbags, Dominator III steps, De-Badged, 5% on windows with 40% on windshield, 5K HID's w/ All-On-Mod, Edge CTS Insight, SDP EGR delete w/ boost probe, Batmowheel, ATP tunes, PCV reroute w/ plug, Kryptonite Tierods & Centerlink, Cognito UCA's, Bilstien 5100's, Airdog II 165, ATP Intercooler pipe, Pump rub upgrade and Transfer case brace, Trans repair lines, LML manifold, SS brake lines, Sulastic springs, ATS pans, ATI dampner, drilled and slotted rotors with ceramic pads, 295/70-17 Trail Grapplers on H2's

Thanks Dustin and Rob at ATP and Steve and Zack at Glissions Diesel Performance
CAGLE DURAMAX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2011, 02:15 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

When its cold here (below freezing) ill let it warm up for about 10 min. Lately it has been anywhere between 40-50 in the morning and Ill let it warm up for a few minutes enough to get everything flowing.

EFI Live DSP5|AirDog II 165| Flex-A-Lite Electric Fans| 2" Drop Shackles| 5" MBRP Exhaust| Down Pipe| S&B Intake| PPE & Aeroforce Gauges| 20x9 XD Hoss 795| 305/55/20 Falken Wild Peak A/T| PPE Fittings| PCV Reroute| EGR Blocked| HD Tie Rod Sleeves| B&W Hitch| 10" Kicker Comp VR
Old 03-02-2011, 02:22 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
I'm That Guy...

I have seen that driving it like a "grandpa" is not necessarily the best way to improve fuel mileage on your truck. Obviously taking off fuel throttle won't be good either, I find I get the best fuel mileage driving "normal".

I suggest you try a different fuel station miles away. I can see a 2+ mpg difference from one station to another.

You can actually get samples of your fuel and send them off for analysis.

I would clean your MAF again now that you've recently cleaned your air filter as well.

CLICK TO READ: FORUM RULES OR DF STAFF!

Thank you Rob Coddens (Idaho Rob), Dustin @ ATP, Scott @ SDP, Kory Willis, and Mike L. for all of your help!

05 LLY CCSB 4wd - Mods coming (Truck Love from ATP Trucks and Copperhead Diesel expected soon)
SOLD: 05 LLY, 05 LLY, 09 LMM, 02 LB7

Build Threads : 2005 Chevy Silverado | 1978 Ford Bronco (Sister Site)
TDFDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2011, 02:24 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDFDiesel View Post
I have seen that driving it like a "grandpa" is not necessarily the best way to improve fuel mileage on your truck. Obviously taking off fuel throttle won't be good either, I find I get the best fuel mileage driving "normal".

I suggest you try a different fuel station miles away. I can see a 2+ mpg difference from one station to another.

You can actually get samples of your fuel and send them off for analysis.

I would clean your MAF again now that you've recently cleaned your air filter as well.
Ok, I will look into a different station. MAF sensor was cleaned today:rockin

Old 03-02-2011, 02:34 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

If you have not re-calibrated the speedo-- you are traveling farther than you are recording on the odometer. Many tuners have a tire size option--The dealer will not do it and they will say they cannot.

Be sure to use manual computing, as most DIC reading are not correct.
Chevy 04.5 LLY, 2X, shell, XDR, MikeL Heavy duty up-grade, 6spd, TransGo, deep pan, de-badged, 65 Gallon replacement Aero tank, LBZ-mp, Kennedy pump, shimmed, Pre-fuel filter, tow mirrors, BU cam, gauges, GPS, Sirius, bags, custom grille, fender vents, HD trans cooler- Curt front hitch, footwell lights, load lights, Studs, head gaskets.--- Jerry
jc1843 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2011, 02:42 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

Draft other vehicles AS MUCH AS YOU CAN! This is a huge MPG increase technique thats free and works...
2005 Chevrolet 2500 LT Deluxe - 4" MBRP cat-back - aFe MP - EGR blockoff - EFI Live DSP5 by Rick at Extreme Engine Development - 15% over injectors - Built motor by Curtis Halverson at Extreme Engine Development - Amsoil Dual Bypass Filter setup - 8" Fabtech Lift - NADP Heavy Hauler Race Trans & TCase - Rare Parts HD Tie Rods - MOOG Idler/Pitman Arms w/ Cognito Braces - AMP Research Power Steps - 20" RBP 94R's (-25 offset) w/ 355/60R20 Kumho Venture A/T's - 4.56 gears - Debadged - Bushwacker Flares - Smoked Tails - All on mod - LED interior light conversion - Autometer Sport Comp II Pyro/Boost/Fuel Press. - 20% tint all around

WISH LIST: Twins, Dual CP3's, Turbo-back exhaust, Tow Mirrors, ...the list continues to grow!
jscho338 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2011, 03:32 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
I'm That Guy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by duramax07tmd View Post
Ok, I will look into a different station. MAF sensor was cleaned today:rockin
When did you clean the air filter?

Hopefully the fuel station will help you out.

CLICK TO READ: FORUM RULES OR DF STAFF!

Thank you Rob Coddens (Idaho Rob), Dustin @ ATP, Scott @ SDP, Kory Willis, and Mike L. for all of your help!

05 LLY CCSB 4wd - Mods coming (Truck Love from ATP Trucks and Copperhead Diesel expected soon)
SOLD: 05 LLY, 05 LLY, 09 LMM, 02 LB7

Build Threads : 2005 Chevy Silverado | 1978 Ford Bronco (Sister Site)
TDFDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2011, 06:42 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

The air filter was just cleaned, speedo is calibrated, and I will try and draft more lol.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.