Removing catalytic converter - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
06-07.5 LBZ & LLY Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2008, 05:01 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Removing catalytic converter

I was changing my oil yesterday, and finally looked around for the cat. That thing is huge! I know that someone else posted on here that they took theirs off and just used a piece of flex pipe in it's place. Is that cool to do? Is there a better way to do it without spending money on a complete system. Is there a pipe I can buy? Sorry for all the questions, just a little hesitant. Also, what are the chances of voiding the warranty doing this? If I keep that cat and put it back on for warranty work, it will have to be installed with splices and clamps, so they will obviously know that it has been removed. It's probably just up to the dealer right?
back rack
Edge Juice w/attitude
K&N CAI
MBRP 4" turbo back w/5" tip
Moto Metal 16 x 9 (hopefully 285's soon!)

04 GMC Yukon Denali
07 Honda Rancher 400 w/ITP Mudlites!
WorkTruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2008, 05:17 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

it really is up to the stealer on the warranty... I see no problem with removing the cat and putting it back in when you go for warranty work... I have my cat removed and love the sound of it. you can definately hear the whistle in the turbo and you will love it. JUST DO IT MAN!

06 Silverado 2500 cc/sb Silver 6.6 Duramax LBZ BABY! H2 Wheels // Tow Mirrors // EGR Blocked // Edge Evolution // Diablo sport predator // Cobra 29 CB Radio//PPE Air Box Mod // Straight Piped Missing Kitty... !
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1998 Dodge 3500 12 valve... ECLB Lariat w/ Fully skirted flatbed.. completely stock work truck... wait I think its missing the cat... wonder where it went to

Jackrabbit Services
"We Jump When you Call!"
06AFDmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2008, 05:20 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Do you have a complete exhaust system or did you just cut it out of the stock system? Was it very difficult? It looks like it should be pretty easy.
back rack
Edge Juice w/attitude
K&N CAI

04 GMC Yukon Denali
Old 09-14-2008, 05:21 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Also, where did you find your H2 wheels? Do they stick out further than the stock rims?
back rack
Edge Juice w/attitude
K&N CAI

04 GMC Yukon Denali
Old 09-14-2008, 05:26 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

I still have the stock system... I went to the local parts store and got some 3.5'' pipe and put it in there with band clamps. It was fairly easy. I got my H2 wheels from some lady around anchorage. she was selling them for a friend. $600 wheels and tires and the combo had maybe 100 miles on em. I think they do stick out a lil further then stock. I enjoy the look of em.

06 Silverado 2500 cc/sb Silver 6.6 Duramax LBZ BABY! H2 Wheels // Tow Mirrors // EGR Blocked // Edge Evolution // Diablo sport predator // Cobra 29 CB Radio//PPE Air Box Mod // Straight Piped Missing Kitty... !
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1998 Dodge 3500 12 valve... ECLB Lariat w/ Fully skirted flatbed.. completely stock work truck... wait I think its missing the cat... wonder where it went to

Jackrabbit Services
"We Jump When you Call!"
Old 09-14-2008, 05:28 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

If you want pictures of my wheels and tires on my truck let me know. I am not exactly sure how to post them up on the forum but I can put them in my garage

Jackrabbit Services
"We Jump When you Call!"
Old 09-14-2008, 05:29 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Thanks for the quick replies. Maybe I'll take it off today if I have some extra time. You'd think that being my own boss I could take Sunday off, but nope. Got two jobs to look at and I have to start ripping out my basement today (says the wife). Any way, enough complaining, thanks for the info.
back rack
Edge Juice w/attitude
K&N CAI

04 GMC Yukon Denali
Old 09-14-2008, 05:43 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

no problem... good luck hope you get time!

Jackrabbit Services
"We Jump When you Call!"
Old 09-14-2008, 05:46 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

If you wouldn't mind posting some pics of your wheels that'd be great. I want some different wheels, but I really don't want to spend a whole bunch of money on a work truck that sees a lot of gravel and landfills. Sounds like you got a pretty good deal!
back rack
Edge Juice w/attitude
K&N CAI

04 GMC Yukon Denali
Old 09-14-2008, 05:49 AM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

ok gimme a min to figure out how to do it

Jackrabbit Services
"We Jump When you Call!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.