Best way to increase fuel mileage - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
06-07.5 LBZ & LLY Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 06-07.5 LBZ/LLY Duramax Trucks No Advertising

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2011, 01:13 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Best way to increase fuel mileage

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum, but not new to a Chevy / Duramax truck. This is the 2nd one I've owned and loved both.

I never really had a reason to search out a way to increase fuel mileage until now. I have a 2006 model with 78,000 delicate miles. I don't drive the truck much, but it looks like that's going to change a little as I have just purchased a travel trailer. I usually pull my car hauler with either my old car or a tractor that weights no more than 7,000-8,000# between the load a trailer. Usually these pulls are only up to 3 hours in length.

With the travel trailer, looks like there will be some long distance pulls and I'd sure like to start saving now, rather than later. I've already got my eyes on the replacement 52 gal. fuel tank.

What are the most effective ways to increase fuel mileage? I don't need any crazy programs. My last Duramax was a 2001 model and I had the Edge Juice w/ Attitude and went through a few injectors as I couldn't control myself as I had to have it in level 5 most of the time. The 2006 model is a truck I plan on keeping for awhile and not opposed to too much except for extreme programs.

Thanks in advance from Louisiana.

2006 Chevy Silverado LT 4x4 285's 6.6 LBZ D-Max/Ally
2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
1999.5 VW Jetta TDI / Panzer Skid Plate / 53 mpgs
1966 Chevy Caprice 2dr Hardtop 496/4L80e/3.73's
Wagons: 18' Car Hauler / 33' SunnyBrook T/T
Lead_Sled is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2011, 01:49 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

I cant answer your question directly as I just got my 07' recently, but...

Those 285's will hurt your mileage and filling up a 52 gallon tank will too.

I just back from a trip to nw nebraska, into the black hills of sd. and over to south east sd. and back to omaha.

I averaged 10 mpg to nw nebraska with a 20-25mph head/cross wind and I was traveling about 65 mph.
Going east on i-90 out of the black hills, 70-75 mph I averaged 11.5, no wind.

All this pulling a 25 ft. travel trailer, 5500-6000lbs.

My first upgrade might be a turbo back exhaust, 4" or 5", cat delete.
My wife complained about the heat on the floor board while we were traveling.
When I stopped and looked under the truck, the cat was right under her feet, no wonder.

Then I might look into efi live economy and tow tune.

Hopefully I can get a couple more mpgs with those mods.

2007 Chevy LBZ, lt3, ccsb, white, tan leather buckets, 265/75-16 Nitto dura grapplers, MBRP 4" SS.
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...guna/010-1.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...guna/004-2.jpg

1973 laguna 489ci, 600hp, ford 9" 3.89 gears, 400th.
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...a/e7c3c186.jpg
73guna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2011, 02:01 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

yeah you guys are on the right track straight pipe it and get efi live with some light tunes and a mileage tune i have heard some people on here saying they have gotten three miles more a gallon do to efi live tuning good luck
weathertechmats,clarion dvd head unit,12"subs,kenwood speakers
Exterior:tint,black lowpro toolbox,halo projector's,5000k hid,moog idler/pitt,rancho shocks,backup camera,cognito 7-9,35s,bmf novas,trac bars,iron bull bumpers,piaa lights
shotcaller660 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2011, 02:04 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporting Member

Best way to increase fuel mileage is to......

Lay off the skinny pedal on the right!!!!!
2002 Silverado 2500HD LB7 FE9 Ext Cab 4x4 LT, Goodyear Wrangler MT/R 285/75R16, Resonator plugged, B&W Turnover ball, LB7 Intake Horn Mod, PPE Airbox mod, Rancho 9000XL shocks, PPE Running Level 3! 4" MBRP Turbo Back,Pillar Mounted Autometer Cobalt Boost and Pyro gauges, PPE Boost Increase Valve

scottdomine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2011, 02:20 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

yep full exhuast turbo back delete everthing cat, muffler and egr and efi live is a must if you guys are towing alot you'll love the tow tune with turbo brake i suggest idahorob for your efi needs his site atptrucks.com
2007 ccsb lbz mbrp dp 5'' straight through turbonetics intercooler mbrp 3'' hot side ic pipe sdp s475 over stock twin kit rick d manifolds & uppipes airdogII ported rail fitting race fuel valve dipper 40 over nossles efi live dsp5 by idaho rob pcv reroute bigdipper built trans and probably some other small s#@t that i forgot about Sold
cux211 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2011, 02:21 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

Mitch,

Nice old car that you're building. I realize the 52 gal tank will create more weight, but I much prefer this option rather than putting a tank in the bed of the truck. I like my 6.6' worth of bedspace. The 26 gal tank just doesn't cut it when pulling something on a decently long trip. In reference to the 285's, I know that's my biggest killer. I've been debating on putting 4.11 gears both front and rear to compensate for the larger tire and to get the engine load about back where it's supposed to be. Still haven't decided on that just yet.

Here's something I found before joining this website: DURAMAX MPG INCREASE

Didn't know if anyone had experience with this. I thought of maybe a simple tune and a different air intake system for starters and see where I can go from there.

scottdomine - I don't drive the truck hard. When I pull, I usually don't exceed 65-68 mph on interstate conditions. Normal driving conditions without pulling, I usually never cross 72 mph.

2006 Chevy Silverado LT 4x4 285's 6.6 LBZ D-Max/Ally
2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
1999.5 VW Jetta TDI / Panzer Skid Plate / 53 mpgs
1966 Chevy Caprice 2dr Hardtop 496/4L80e/3.73's
Wagons: 18' Car Hauler / 33' SunnyBrook T/T
Lead_Sled is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2011, 02:33 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

gerald on the lbz you can do a airbox mod that won't cost you anything the write up is on ppe's web site or check out bills custom intakes if you'd prefer to buy one
2007 ccsb lbz mbrp dp 5'' straight through turbonetics intercooler mbrp 3'' hot side ic pipe sdp s475 over stock twin kit rick d manifolds & uppipes airdogII ported rail fitting race fuel valve dipper 40 over nossles efi live dsp5 by idaho rob pcv reroute bigdipper built trans and probably some other small s#@t that i forgot about Sold
Old 07-21-2011, 02:35 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

actually were you from when i get my twins i have to pull my banks cai off you can have it for 150.00
Old 07-21-2011, 03:09 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

best way is buy a honda civic and drive slow!
2003 duramax/bilt Allison EFI live tune, Big head waste gate, 7" grand rock stack, S&B intake, Auto meter gauges, 6" rcd lift, pro comp traction bars, 35" mt MTZ, dale jr. rims de-badged, colour match door handles
frdslar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2011, 03:12 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead_Sled View Post
Mitch,

Nice old car that you're building. I realize the 52 gal tank will create more weight, but I much prefer this option rather than putting a tank in the bed of the truck. I like my 6.6' worth of bedspace. The 26 gal tank just doesn't cut it when pulling something on a decently long trip. In reference to the 285's, I know that's my biggest killer. I've been debating on putting 4.11 gears both front and rear to compensate for the larger tire and to get the engine load about back where it's supposed to be. Still haven't decided on that just yet.

Here's something I found before joining this website: DURAMAX MPG INCREASE

Didn't know if anyone had experience with this. I thought of maybe a simple tune and a different air intake system for starters and see where I can go from there.

scottdomine - I don't drive the truck hard. When I pull, I usually don't exceed 65-68 mph on interstate conditions. Normal driving conditions without pulling, I usually never cross 72 mph.
Thanks, Gerald.
I know what you mean on the 26 gallon tank.
It gets frustrating on long hauls, Im looking into a larger tank also.
I guess the extra capacity tank with fuel would only add a couple hundred pounds.

2007 Chevy LBZ, lt3, ccsb, white, tan leather buckets, 265/75-16 Nitto dura grapplers, MBRP 4" SS.
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...guna/010-1.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...guna/004-2.jpg

1973 laguna 489ci, 600hp, ford 9" 3.89 gears, 400th.
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...a/e7c3c186.jpg
73guna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.