Upgrades to improve MPG? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
06-07.5 LBZ & LLY Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 06-07.5 LBZ/LLY Duramax Trucks No Advertising

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2012, 01:40 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Upgrades to improve MPG?

Hey everybody I need some help, just bought an 06 duramax (first gm diesel) and I am getting horrible mpg. On my last tank of fuel I got 227 miles before the empty light came on. Im using winter diesel right now which doesn't help as well as the lift and tires but I used to own a cummins and it is a night and day difference.

The truck is stock performance wise, so before I buy anything for it im wondering what stuff I should buy first to increase mpgs (what programmers work best, any underhood stuff that will help) Turbo back exhaust will be the first thing I would asume. All my buddys that drive dmax trucks tell me to EFI live it, I am under the impression that it is more of a go fast tune rather than a fuel saving tune.

So if you guys could point me in the right direction to get better mpg that would be great!
XD revolvers
325/65 STT's
Grimace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2012, 01:48 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
812-344-4421

EFI Live tuning can be geared toward whatever you want. A good EFI Live tune will yield better mileage than anything else.

Tuning and a free flowing exhaust will gain you a easy 2-4 mpg. If you have any questions please let me know.

Tyler
MPF
Meyerperformance is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2012, 01:49 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

is your speedo reading correctly??
2006 gmc 2500 xcsb superchips flashpac, mbrp 4" exhaust, leveled, trans go jr, gooseneck hitch, timbren front and rear kit. Merchant Auto Pump rub kit. Michelin ltx ms2 285/75/16 E tires stock rims for now. Quadzilla vizion for gagues.
imcasc8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2012, 07:28 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcasc8 View Post
is your speedo reading correctly??
^^ what he said ^^
Your signature indicates a lift and bigger tires. If you haven't recalibrated/programmed the puter then the #'s are gonna be off.
Performance EFI LIVE DSP5 Idaho Rob's Magic, ADII 165 lift pump, 5in flo-pro exhaust, ADP DP, Transgo Jr. shift kit & Transynd swap, Autometer Boost and Pyro Guages, EGR BLOCK, PCV reroute, resonator cap, PPE Airbox MOD
Suspension Tuff Country 6" with Moog TieRods, Billsteins, 20in Helo, MT FCII 35's, Cognito full travel air bags w/Firestone Air Rite controls
Towing Drawtite Activator III, Anderson Drop Rapid Hitch, B&W companion slide 5er hitch
Appearance.....just because Linex Bedliner, billet grill, Wheel-to-wheel nerf bars, AstroStart, HIDs "all on", Denali Door Handles, Colormatch visors and bugsheild
On the Shop Floor New Trans cooler lines, Redline PS fluid flush
viking00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2012, 06:21 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

I also am wondering about what the mileage should be. I recently went on a trip and was getting 16.5 mpg at 70 mph I have 285s on it and the front end leveled other than that I'm stock. I am running stanadyne if that makes any difference?
Old 01-17-2012, 06:35 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

When my lbz was stock besides the lift and tires. I would get 400 miles to a tank
EFI and my upgrades I get a little more nothing to brag about
Speedometer still off on mine too
Sent from my SCH-I500 using AutoGuide.Com Free
2007 GMC crewcab classic long bed.7 Inch lift 315/75/17 on moto metal with BFGA/T ,after market tail lights,headlights, stainleess grill piece,bull bar,Viper alarm and remote start,topper, touch screen eclipse stereo with camera,running lights around the truck,topper,bed liner.traction bars. 5 inch Diamond eye turbo back straight piped . DE Down pipe.Autocal EFI,DSP5 SWITCH

Last edited by HRLYGUY2; 01-17-2012 at 06:39 AM.
HRLYGUY2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2012, 06:37 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

227 to a tank? something is not right....you should be getting AT LEAST 100-150 more miles per tank
Efi Live by Rob Coddens
s472
DirtyMaxx03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2012, 07:26 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

Thanksgiving 2011 made a trip and got 19.96mpg hand calculated with my mods. About 50/50 highway speed ( 62-ish) and interstate (73-ish). The right foot has a lot of influence on the mpg
2006 GMC Sierra 3500 Dually, LBZ, Crew Cab, ATP tuned ECM, Alligator Diesel drivers side IC tube, SDP EGR delete tube, Pro Fab up-pipes, Diamond Eye down-pipe, MBRP 5" SS with muffler, TTS dual lift pumps, CAT auxiliary filter, Nicktane filter head with 1 micron filter, Husker Diesel tranny cooler lines, MA pump rub fix, Blistein 5100 shocks, resonator plug, PCV reroute, Autometer SportComp2 triple gauge set, 5K HID low beam and fog lights
45cal4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2012, 03:17 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace View Post
Hey everybody I need some help, just bought an 06 duramax (first gm diesel) and I am getting horrible mpg. On my last tank of fuel I got 227 miles before the empty light came on. Im using winter diesel right now which doesn't help as well as the lift and tires but I used to own a cummins and it is a night and day difference.

The truck is stock performance wise, so before I buy anything for it im wondering what stuff I should buy first to increase mpgs (what programmers work best, any underhood stuff that will help) Turbo back exhaust will be the first thing I would asume. All my buddys that drive dmax trucks tell me to EFI live it, I am under the impression that it is more of a go fast tune rather than a fuel saving tune.

So if you guys could point me in the right direction to get better mpg that would be great!
-Mod the intake
-Exhaust
-ECM Tuning. (EFIlive or PPE)

Also, try Walmart 2 Stroke oil in the fuel at a rate of 1oz per gallon.
--CC, SB 4X4 Duramax Diesel/ 6 spd Allison Auto (PTO high idle mod)
--EFILive by KB3MMX Tuning W/ SDP Towing Twins (Billet S475 over Stock)
--SILVERLINE 4" Stainless Exhaust
--AMSOIL Synthetics and filtration bumper to bumper, including Bypass
--DDM tuning HID's in Low and High Beams, 6000K Lows/4250K Highs
--PPE rear Diff cover, PPE Deep Trans Pan, PPE High Flow Manifolds and Up Pipes
--Danville 3" Y Bridge and big air intake kit / EGR delete
--Airdog II DF200 w/ CAT UHE filter upgrade...etc,etc...
KB3MMX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2012, 03:24 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Also these lights like to come on pretty early (like at 18 gallons)so just keep an eye on the fuel used it is usually within a tenth or 2. These trucks have a 26 gallon tank so I usually run mine down to about 22-23.
2007 LBZ CC/SB SLT 4x4, 5" Magnaflow SS, S&B CIA, Firestone Airbags, Dominator III steps, De-Badged, 5% on windows with 40% on windshield, 5K HID's w/ All-On-Mod, Edge CTS Insight, SDP EGR delete w/ boost probe, Batmowheel, ATP tunes, PCV reroute w/ plug, Kryptonite Tierods & Centerlink, Cognito UCA's, Bilstien 5100's, Airdog II 165, ATP Intercooler pipe, Pump rub upgrade and Transfer case brace, Trans repair lines, LML manifold, SS brake lines, Sulastic springs, ATS pans, ATI dampner, drilled and slotted rotors with ceramic pads, 295/70-17 Trail Grapplers on H2's

Thanks Dustin and Rob at ATP and Steve and Zack at Glissions Diesel Performance
CAGLE DURAMAX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.