Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

lddrew's pseudo build thread

33K views 144 replies 29 participants last post by  lddrew 
#1 · (Edited)
So this thread and my truck will never be as awesome as a lot of the guys on here. But I've been thinking for a while about a place to keep all my truck related info on here. Hopefully it might help some new guys out looking to do basic mods like I have.
I won't post in here unless I have done something new and want to share, or people have questions. I'm more than glad to offer my input and try to help people out if you have questions.

Here is my truck basically right after I got it with a brand new set of geolanders. The previous owner had the bars cranked slightly level. You can see how the truck sits and what my CV angles are like here to get a good idea about what leveling does.

As you can see it's not the most cosmetically appealing truck in the world lol.

I'm going to try to get better about taking pictures of the things I do and add them to this thread

This is my starting point. We'll just have to see what direction I go with the truck. :drink

Overall this truck is an amazing platform, i highly recommend the LBZ 6spd HD series to anyone, it has never let me down and can handle more than I have ever thrown at it.

I am more than open to suggestions or questions and whatnot, so post away! The more opinions I hear the better.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
reserved for future cosmetic updates
Coming soon

As it sits now
-Previous owner had rockers painted gold :(
-leveled
-UWS deep well toolbox
-Westin side steps

The transformation should happen within the next few months, I am EXCITED to say the least, it's time for a change. There will be lots of photos :drink

#3 · (Edited)
Performance

Tuning: (currently running DSP5 pretuned ECM from ATP)
When I first bought this truck I was a little naive, I just wanted something cheap and to pick up a few mpg's.
I bought a superchips flashpaq 2805, and it worked OK for what it was, however it ran way to much timing and caused a nasty knock when the motor was cold

I then sold the SC, and bought an edge CS diesel. I ran this tuner for over a year on the 80hp tune and have nothing but good things to say about it. \

In february of 2012 I decided to use some tax money to step up to EFI Live :D
I went with tuning from "Idaho Rob" Coddens at ATP trucks. I am amazed at how much better the truck runs versus stock tuning or the edge/superchips tunes. The power comes on smooth, the transmission shifts better than ever, and my big tune (120) is pretty dang quick to me!! I could not be more pleased with the tuning and customer service at ATP.

A CTS insight with pyro in manifold adds sweet gauges to the truck to insure I can keep my eye on everything. I have also added the dash mount, and a 15 dollar backup camera from amazon. very happy with this product.

Exhaust: (3" DP and 4" straight pipe)
In january of 2012 I installed a little christmas present to myself. I ordered a 3" downpipe from profab performance, this piece fits like a dream and sounds WICKED! The hardest part about the install is getting the heatshield out from the factory downpipe, after that it is relatively easy.
I went with a 4" MBRP straight pipe system from performance truck products (their link is in my sig) UPS really beat the ever loving shit out of the box, and I had some initial problems on install due to the fact that none of the back half of the exhaust was straight. Nate at PTP helped me out with some of the best customer service I've ever experienced and we got it together.

Overall the truck sounds like a whole new beast, anyone debating on doing exhaust should definitely do it. I saw some EGT drops and the sound is just fantastic.

Transmission:
I will preface this section saying that this truck will likely never have the trans built.
In january I installed a Transgo Jr. Shift kit. The trans shifts smooth and crisp, and is a must do mod for the 6spds to obtain better shifting and power holding abilities. I found a good thread on duramax diesels and followed the step by step instructions without any major issues.

Miscellaneous motor/powertrain mods:
-EGR blocked: people like to make a big deal out of this job, but it's really not that hard and completely worthwhile.
-PCV rerotued: easy job, my advice is to just buy the breather kit from PPE or a vendor, a couple of clamps, and use hose to route each breather to the respective frame rails, the T that is included with most kits is silly and takes up room on top of the motor. You really need to do this. There was and still is oil all over where it leaked at the mouthpiece..
-Resonator deleted: stupid easy job, just wanted to get that box out of my way.

#13 ·
Transmission:
I will preface this section saying that this truck will likely never have the trans built.
In january I installed a Transgo Jr. Shift kit. The trans shifts smooth and crisp, and is a must do mod for the 6spds to obtain better shifting and power holding abilities. I found a good thread on duramax diesels and followed the step by step instructions without any major issues.
Nice write up and thread. I gotta get one going for my upgrades one of these days. In the middle of it all myself.
You don't happen to have a link to the thread you can post or pm me do ya? The TransgoJr. kit is the only real install I'm sweating about. The rest I think I can handle. Messin with the tranny scares me :)

Looking forward to the after show !!

#4 · (Edited)
Maintenance

Maintenance is very important to me and should be for everyone else.

Here is a list of what I have done, and what I plan to do in the future. I will keep this up to date as I check things off the list and add more to it.

What I do/ have done
Oil- Delvac 1300 and M1-303 filter every 5k. Grease the suspension at the same time
Transmission- Tq Drive and new allison filters, transgo jr. I realize it isn't TES-295 certified, but I believed Amsoil when they said it met the requirements, no issues with it and would recommend it
Power steer- napa (flush every 20k)
Fuel- racor filters, thinking about going to a cat setup
Shocks- bilstein 5100s
Air- fresh donaldson filter (every 50k depending on inspection) and MAF cleaning every 10k or so
Diffs- SuperSyn 75w-90 full syn (20 bucks a gallon from uncle with class 8's :cool:)
T-case- has new fluid, pump rub kit did not make it in yet

What I need to do
T-case- pump rub kit
Coolant- also assuming original
Belt- goodyear gatorback.
Tensioner and Idler pulleys- what do you guys recommend brand wise??
Brakes- will need to be done eventually, OEM is fine with me. Will do a fluid flush before then, thanks jesse.
Grease boots- okay so most of my grease boots leak grease when i pump the new in, how hard is it to replace all of these?? I get a squeak at low speeds and can't tell if it's front end parts or a caliper lightly dragging.
Sleeves and braces for front end

Always in the back of my mind
Front end parts
Tranny cooler lines

I'm wanting to get the truck to the point where I don't have to worry about anything more than regular maintenance.
PM me or post in the thread if you have any questions about any of it.

#8 · (Edited)
LOL, mainly just because most of the build threads you see are trucks getting built for major speed, appearance, or offroading. My truck is never going to be really "built", I just wanted a place to organize everything I do to it and hopefully help people out. It's going to be a whole lot different from stock, I just won't be taking it to any extremes. So it'll be pseudo-built :rof

Like when I think of a build thread I think of Duraskand's awesome LMM build, my truck sadly won't reach that level of awesome :cool:

#6 ·
Interior stuffs

Audio:
I recently added a auxiliary input to my truck.
Here is how I did it.

anyone with this radio

Needs this adapter
P.I.E. GM12-AUXV2 Select GM Auxiliary RCA Audio Input Module

And needs to set the jumper to XM, the aux input 1 and 2 (doesn't matter they both play your device) show up when pressing the BAND button

you need to take this trim off to get the radio out, you do NOT need to take the bottom piece (that was for my DSP5 install) It just pops out, gear selector needs to be in 1 to get the piece out. Radio held in with 3 7mm bolts.

I tapped for power on the two wires pictured with wire nuts on them ( the largest orange wire on the far right, and the largest black wire on the far left)

and here is how i routed my aux cord

My DSP5 location:
Here's where I mounted my switch, if you have any questions about how to get the dash apart or route the DSP5 wire and placing the switch don't be shy

now you see it

now you don't

I really like it, it's easy to reach and change tunes, but unless you are in the floorboard you would never know it was there :D

#10 ·
Small update. should have a large one in the next few weeks.

1. Rob's tuning is awesome!!!
2. I did the fuel injector cleaning method the other day and extremely happy with the results. I blame a lot of the issues I was having on using 2 stroke oil...
3. Just ordered up a Nicktane kit and some Dondaldson 3 micron absolute filters! Should have no more filtration issues and fitlers are 7 dollars a pop.

Down the road
-color matched ratpor liner to be ordered within the next few weeks. also 20% window tint for the front two windows
-Looking at adding a lift pump, right now leaning towards a single Kennedy pump. That should push enough for this guy. Don't you guys think??

#28 ·
Down the road
-color matched ratpor liner to be ordered within the next few weeks. also 20% window tint for the front two windows
I would also consider 15% tint. Get your tint guy to meter out the factory tint on the back windows. I did 20% before and it gave my driver and passenger front sides a slightly mirrored look because my back was a different %. I had my tint guy here meter it, and it came to 16% from the factory. He originally told me to go 155, but I thought I knew better. I had him redo it with 15% and it made the truck look much better. I could not tell a difference from the inside looking out, but now all my windows match. Just my $0.02.

#15 ·
Damn just saw this Lee. Should look good with the raptor liner. Take your time and prep the livin shit out of every surface to be sprayed. I'm anxious to see how it turns out. Also, a raptor lift pump would be my choice if I wasn't gettin an AD.

#16 ·
thanks skank!! I am excited to see how the truck looks with tint and the raptor. I am going to spend an ungodly amount of time getting her prepped. spraying it should be the easy part.
I am going to get those two mods done, and then go from there cosmetic wise. not sure what all would look good. i wanna paint the bowtie but with my grill i'm not sure what to go to. also the bumpers need something

and yeah i've considered the raptor pump, and have heard good things about it. but also heard it is loud.
I am definitely going to research it more before i buy one, but i've heard nothing but good things about the kennedy pump

#18 ·
the raptor is going to be white. color matching this rig. no disrespect though :drink

I am considering painting the bowtie white, and i'd like the grill to be black"er" but that honeycomb looks like not much fun to prep and paint

#19 ·
That's what I meant, do the white liner on the grille, don't do the honeycomb part, leave it black. Then do a white bowtie.

Or you could have the grille painted black and do a white bowtie. Paint
matching stuff isn't as costly as I thought it would be.

#24 ·
oh okay sweet. I was just looking at it in the driveway and that would look awesome. the chrome grill part doesn't do much for me.

I just don't know what to do with these damn bumpers... I don't want aftermarkets and don't really have the dough for them, but I feel like they could make the truck look a lot better if I did something with the stockers.

GMC's have got it made with the colormatched front bumper. they look so much better IMO

i hate threads like these now, reminds of all the shit i have to re-do to my truck.....

lookin good Lee
haha your truck is the tits, what you need to do on yours?? other than some body work? :(

Can't wait to see your raptor liner! I'll probably go black just because my color would be hard to match. And ill be getting a Raptor pump for mine if the one I got lined up falls through.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
yeah that is one thing I love about the white!! Summit white is readily available and fairly easy to match to. that being said the metallic trucks look amazing. I would have done dirty things for a dark gray LBZ, yall know what color i'm talking about

I don't think your wife would approve of you GOING BLACK. Lmfao.

but once he goes black....

I wanna see the raptor liner also!!!!!
sure thing brooks! I can't wait to see it either. Are you considering it on that beautiful red truck of yours??

#21 ·
Can't wait to see your raptor liner! I'll probably go black just because my color would be hard to match. And ill be getting a Raptor pump for mine if the one I got lined up falls through.

#22 ·
I don't think your wife would approve of you GOING BLACK. Lmfao.

#29 ·
Gotta get a whole new front end and hood lee, which means I gotta repaint as well as re do all my lights, smoked and hid bulbs. Plus front suspension damage I gotta re do with moog parts.

I wish you'd hurry the hell up though I wanna see what it looks like finished !

#33 ·
1. optimized stock (cleaned up stock tune)
2. tow with vvt brake (this works amazing, hardly have to use wheel brakes, great for downgrades)
3. DD/in town mileage 70hp. runs WAYYY better than my 80 hp dd edge evo tune ever did. very smooth and powerful. power is progressive and lots of fun
4. 120hp fun/highway mileage tune. All I have got to say is hold on!! knocked down 18.5 mpg's with about 40 miles worth of city driving and some fun in a empty parking deck :gearjamin I'm expecting well over 20 for a straight highway pull
5 anti theft tune. truck won't rev over 1100 no matter how much throttle (switch is hidden) :cool:

#34 ·
Wow . . . this is really helpful. My truck payments will end in 7 months and the mileage is almost 140k. I'd like to do a bunch of these upgrades over the next 20k (thru the end of the year). I think you're paving the way for those of us who want to see 300-400k.

The pump rub kit and transmission lines are awaiting install (from Alligator). I'll flip the cooler at that time (Transgo?) It looks like the Kennedy pump with the Nicktane adapter will work for me. Probably should move the Optima's as the heat here in AZ really kills battery life.

The front end needs new parts and I'll go to 265's when that happens. There's a spare set of KM2's up north.

See what you've started!

#35 ·
oh believe me my pocketbook feels what i've started!!!

haha, i have a different mentality than most folks. I like to think about what can i do to prevent a failure, when most people I know just say Okay it failed how much $$$

glad it was helpful, if you have any questions feel free to ask away or PM me.

What do you mean by flip the cooler??? thanks :D

#38 ·
It was mentioned on another forum by Mike L. that the factory transmission cooler lines help dissipate some of the heat along the way, both to and from the cooler.
The replacement lines are actually hoses and don't do this as well.
So, some guys flip their cooler, raising it above the bumper & getting more airflow.
Up to 20 degrees difference.

Here's a before & after pic:

Below the bumper
Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part Vehicle Car

Above the bumper
Automotive exterior Bumper Grille Vehicle Car

They say the brackets are easy.

So, my plan is to replace the lines, flip the cooler and replace the fluid & spin-on (over the next 5k).

Then, drain it, do the Transgo and replace the fluid again. Along with the spin-on and internal filter (in the following 5k).

That should get me to about 200k before changing again. Sounds good on paper . . .

#39 ·
thanks for the great post rms!!! that sounds like a great idea and I will definitely do that when my lines decide they wanna start leaking. i've been surprised they've gone all winter without doing so.

I am also going to be looking into doing some additional oil filtration if I find oil temps are running too hot, also I keep hearing that our fuel temps get way too high. everything needs more cooling apparently :(

#40 ·
RMS.......if you end up doing this would you post up a thread on the job? Haven't replaced my lines yet but when I do and the front end is all apart, that would be the time.
thanks

#42 ·
i've been keeping it under the radar until i actually do something lol :rofl

but yeah as much as i'd love to truly "build" it, I think I would rather have a decent looking, reliable, pantie dropping DD than a built rig and get into other toys :D

I can't wait till I've got it nearly "done" know that won't ever really happen, but I can get a lot closer to it than I am right now. Just want to make this sucker last until I have no need for it or diesel is 6+ dollas a gallon :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.