Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Which pistons

9K views 38 replies 12 participants last post by  sickdiesel 
#1 ·
Need some opinions here guys. I'm building a new race motor for my white Lbz. R&R rods, Hamilton race cam,pushrods, springs, SoCal dampner, billet flex plate, billet main caps, SoCal girdle, fully done heads, etc. all being built by cam at adrenaline in Shelley Idaho.

I am wanting to go forged but and still gonna drive the truck every now and again on the street to class and to mess around. Cam has a set of mahle forged in colbys truck with 40k plus on them.

Should i do mahle forged, fingers cast or fingers forged?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#29 ·
Jeff Dean would be the one to ask. He's been running them for a few years in his race truck and they're in the rail too.

#30 ·
Roger that on $4500 for the Monotherms....pricey for sure!
I've used ARIAS pistons in other builds that were used on the street and they worked well, never had durability problems... Worth consideration..

#31 ·
Pistons

Heres the deal with piston. You need to look at what you REALLY WANT in your motor. In that I mean are you really going to make 1100hp? If so you are in the big power and you need big power parts. Stock parts no matter who blessed them are still stock parts. I don't get and don't ask for deals on my parts!!! Then if they are shit I WILL TELL EVERYONE they are shit! If they are good guess what I will tell the world! It's hard to tell the truth when someone gives you a deal and you think it's no good. I won't play that game. If you ask the question you better be ready for the answer. Good or bad. I will not send someone down the wrong road, been there to many times myself. Jeff

#34 ·
Heres the deal with piston. You need to look at what you REALLY WANT in your motor. In that I mean are you really going to make 1100hp? If so you are in the big power and you need big power parts. Stock parts no matter who blessed them are still stock parts. I don't get and don't ask for deals on my parts!!! Then if they are shit I WILL TELL EVERYONE they are shit! If they are good guess what I will tell the world! It's hard to tell the truth when someone gives you a deal and you think it's no good. I won't play that game. If you ask the question you better be ready for the answer. Good or bad. I will not send someone down the wrong road, been there to many times myself. Jeff
The only stock parts with be the block and crank (which techincally will be modified because it is getting internally balanced)

#32 ·
Sorry Dustin

I just looked at my post and it looked like I took a shot at dustin. That was not my intent, sorry if it looked like that. That was not what I wanted. I just was trying to say be real with yourself and buy the parts that best fit what you want to do with the motor. These things don't last forever and are way to much money to do over and over. I run the Arias piston and for all out builds I don't think for any amount of money there is a better piston! I would not tell a guy to put them in his daily driver but that is not what they are for. If you want a big power motor and not worry about the pistons then by all means they are the ticket. I have run Arias pistons since 2008 and never had a problem. I have the same rings in the motor since 2009! They are the real deal. I guess the big problem is be real with yourself your not going to have a daily driver that makes a 1000hp and last 100k miles. It's just not going to happen. You have to give a little to get a little somewhere else. There is no free lunch in life and it's the same with these trucks. You have to make a choice what you really want to do and do it. Have fun and enjoy hanging out with friends. Life is short. Jeff

#33 ·
I just looked at my post and it looked like I took a shot at dustin. That was not my intent, sorry if it looked like that. That was not what I wanted. I just was trying to say be real with yourself and buy the parts that best fit what you want to do with the motor. These things don't last forever and are way to much money to do over and over. I run the Arias piston and for all out builds I don't think for any amount of money there is a better piston! I would not tell a guy to put them in his daily driver but that is not what they are for. If you want a big power motor and not worry about the pistons then by all means they are the ticket. I have run Arias pistons since 2008 and never had a problem. I have the same rings in the motor since 2009! They are the real deal. I guess the big problem is be real with yourself your not going to have a daily driver that makes a 1000hp and last 100k miles. It's just not going to happen. You have to give a little to get a little somewhere else. There is no free lunch in life and it's the same with these trucks. You have to make a choice what you really want to do and do it. Have fun and enjoy hanging out with friends. Life is short. Jeff
It didn't sound like you took a shot at me bud. I appreciate your opinion. The truck is far from a daily. It is getting trailered to event, will have a cage, etc.

And like I said it will live at 800 most of the time but I will run SS every now and again and light the wick to around 1100-1150 is where we are thinking.

Is it going to be a motor build basically the same as maxd out parts wise but cam is building it.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#35 ·
Cool deal

It sounds like it will be a nice build. It should be a fun ride for you. Tell Rob i'm working on getting the fuel pump parts he wanted.

#36 ·
basically its gonna be Mahle forged pistons, R&R rods, Socal Billet main caps, Socal Girdle, ATI dampner, Socal billet flexplate, Main and head studs (625s), internally balanced, Hamilton Race cam, chromoly pushrods, Hamilton valve springs, fully done heads, etc. :D im stoked! lol

and ill let rob know bud!

dual fueler kit is working well still as well :thumb just sent the pumps off to get modded

#38 ·
:popcorn :popcorn

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.