Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

New LBZ owner with questions -coming from Ford 7.3l

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Blue06Sierra 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi there,

Just got myself a 2006 LBZ CCLB 4x4 Silverado 2500. I recently sold my powerstroke 7.3l and power wise there is a huge difference obviously. The guy I bought it from left the truck completely stock and had every service record since the day he bought it brand new. It has 154k miles on it now but definitely doesn't look like it.

So I had just a couple questions. I wanted to get a EGT monitor and mild tune for the truck for MPG and slight power increase. I was thinking the Edge Evo CS or CTS (Not w/attitude) but only because it gives you a mild tune and you can monitor everything. Are there any other suggestions? I keep seeing EFI live, but I don't want to spend that much when all I really want is probably 20-40hp increase and a few MPG's and then on top of that, still have to buy gauges.

Also is there any must do's on this truck since it's all stock? I'm in Cali so EGR delete and Cat delete wont happen for me :(

Thank you for any help.

#2 ·
Go with the EFI Live, you will regret not doing it down the road. First of all, you will get better mileage with a 70-90 HP tune. Second, you'll get the tunes you want not what comes out of a box. As for an EGT, get an a Edge Insight it's also a great monitor.

#5 · (Edited)
#7 ·
Auto cal comes with 5 pre programmed tunes Wichita depend on who you buy it from. Sounds like an autocal would be perfect for what your looking for.

#9 ·
Autocal sounds great for you
autocal is efi live. You can get that or the v2.
The v2 you can do your own tune which takes years of experience aswell as get pre made tunes from a reputable tune such as Idaho rob at atp nick at duramaxtuner ect.
With v2 your not locked to anyone else's v2.
You can get tunes with anyone and change between tuners.
Now say you got autocal from Rob your stuck to his v2. Which isn't a bad thing at all.
His a great tuner.
autocal is more for somebody like you self that just wants some extra power. Now with my v2 when I'm ready from more power like when I get my tranny built
I'll just call nick and get new tunes made.
With autocal I'm not sure if your stuck with the set you get.
hopefully someone can explain at little better.
With the v2 you can check how everything is running like balance rates ect.
not sure what all the autocal can do.

#10 ·
Is the autocal a scanner also? I had AutoEnginuity with my Ford and I could watch live what everything in the system was doing as well as certain diagnostic tests. I would like to get something similar while still being able to load tunes.

#11 ·
With the autocal, you can log and save, or connect through to a laptop for real time logging. EFI live software works with both autocal and v2. Unless you want to get into making your own tunes, an autocal would be all you need.

The tunes can still be updated via email with an autocal. You're tied to the original tuner's v2, unless he is willing to unlock it for you (not likely, and don't blame them).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.