EGR Delete and Mileage - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
06-07.5 LBZ & LLY Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 06-07.5 LBZ/LLY Duramax Trucks No Advertising

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2011, 05:00 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

EGR Delete and Mileage

Has anyone gained mpg when doing the egr delete? Does the egr delete make your truck smoke more?
mods-4'' straight pipe with a 6'' tip, Autometer Boost and Pyro Gauges, AFE turbo inlet tubes, AFE Turbo Intercooler Tube, AFE Stage 2 Cold Air Intake with Pro Dry Filter, SXP 3'' turbo down pipe, EGR Blocked with finger stick, EFI Live SPADE DSP2 by Nick at Duramax Tuner and sold to me by Tyler at Meyer Performance
Duramax Dealer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2011, 05:13 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

didnt gain any mpgs. almolst no smoke on my 525 tune and it dropped the egts significantly

07 gmc lbz ccsb
More aftermarket parts than oem parts
apelineman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2011, 05:35 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

Yeah, a little bit but not more than 1-2MPG. Throttle response did improve though, and that could have a lot to do with it too. Better throttle response means I don't have my foot in it as far, for as long, to get up to speed. And less throttle is used to maintain speed because of a more efficient combustion process, resulting in more power from less fuel. As far as smoke I can't say I noticed any difference, though it doesn't seem to load up and suddenly "blow" a little occasional soot anymore. Just ditching the cat eliminated most of that though. The biggest reason for getting rid of it is to keep from running that soot back through your engine anyway.
Look at it this way...soot it like really fine dust. And we don't want to suck minute amounts of fine dust in the intake. EGR also has very little oxygen, so it has less ability to burn fuel, making more soot. Fine dust, or soot, reduces engine life, period. Even if I don't gain much or anything in fuel economy, I won't, or shouldn't, wear out my engine nearly as fast, so I shouldn't have to buy a new one or rebuild the one I have as soon.
And that my friend, is money in the bank. I may be able to trade it in a year while it's still worth something. I may also not be economically able to do so and need to run it for a million miles. Either way, if I can make it last longer, gain power, run cooler and have less stuff to worry about going wrong while I have it, I'm ditchin the bitch.
05 2500HD, EC, LB. 4" MBRP turbo back, Bully Dog GT, EGR removed, PCV reroute, self customized intake, AFE MP, shimmed FPRV, lift pump and Cat fuel filter conversion, ice picked, head gaskets and bolts at 130,000 Pronghorn flatbed with LOTS of storage and gooseneck ball, RideRite rear bags, front leveled, Lincoln Ranger welder, torch, Puma air comp.
maxcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2011, 07:41 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

Also my truck has the FE9 emission which is just the regular federal emissions. Should my truck's SES light come on with the blocker? I can get the plate for $10 which is pretty cheap.
mods-4'' straight pipe with a 6'' tip, Autometer Boost and Pyro Gauges, AFE turbo inlet tubes, AFE Turbo Intercooler Tube, AFE Stage 2 Cold Air Intake with Pro Dry Filter, SXP 3'' turbo down pipe, EGR Blocked with finger stick, EFI Live SPADE DSP2 by Nick at Duramax Tuner and sold to me by Tyler at Meyer Performance
Old 02-03-2011, 09:17 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
2500HD Club Member
Supporting Member

Some trucks will throw a code if you put the blocker plate in mine did but you can block it with a programmer, the mpg's wont go up much but your motor will be much happier then having the soot run back through the intake etc.

Thanks to alligator performance
maineloggerlbz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2011, 09:30 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
saw what you did there
Lifetime Supporting Member

Be sure and do the PCV re-route too!
6K Lows, 3K Fogs, Tint.
CLICK BEFORE YOU POST!

theunderlord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2011, 09:41 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
2500HD Club Member
Supporting Member

How To: PCV Reroute LLY

Heres the link to the DIY PCV re-route or you can buy a kit from a vendor that has all the parts you need

Thanks to alligator performance
maineloggerlbz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2011, 10:11 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

So I take it that if I do the EGR blocker then it is a must to do the PCV reroute?
Old 02-03-2011, 10:12 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
saw what you did there
Lifetime Supporting Member

It makes sense. Not a "must", but it's a good idea.
6K Lows, 3K Fogs, Tint.
CLICK BEFORE YOU POST!

theunderlord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2011, 10:36 AM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
jkf
DuramaxForum Veteran

Kevin, can you point me to a DIY PCV reroute thread or how-to for LBZ? thanks
Truck Cover USA, EBC rotors & pads, tie rods sleeved.

Wants 4049vvt, built tranny

NEEDS: TRAIN HORNS!!!
jkf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.