Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

ticking knocking sound getting worse help

16K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  dmaxum 
#1 ·
a wile back i heard a very slight ticking noise wile pulling up to the gate on base or a drive through, and thought it was the common ticking noise. it pissed me off but i accepted it. but the sound has gone from a faint ticking to a very loud tick / knock.i have noticed it will do it when
1 truck is just turned on it will make the noise for 5-10 seconds
2 truck is just turned off it will make the noise for 5-10 seconds
3 slowing down to stop at a stop light useing brakes or coasting does it till 5-10 seconds after complete stop
4 slowly creaping through traffic or a drive through constant till rpms raise any or 5 seconds after stopping
5 jerking the throttle (barely power braking) wile holding brake down
i am at a loss here exhaust heat shields are all tight truck 2006 lbz with bd drivers side manifold rdl up pipes and diemond eye down pipe allison 6 speed w/ transgo jr shift kit and 1056 suncoast converter please help

#3 ·
It may be noraml, does this bulletin describe it?

Duramax Ticking

Bulletin No.: 02-06-01-022H

Date: August 18 2008
Subject:
Information on Engine Ticking Noise

Models:
2001-2007 Chevrolet Silverado (Classic)
2003-2009 Chevrolet Kodiak C4500/C5500 Series
2006-2009 Chevrolet Express
2001-2007 GMC Sierra (Classic)
2003-2009 GMC TopKick C4500/C5500 Series
2006-2009 GMC Savana

with 6.6L Duramax(TM) Diesel Engine (VINs D, 1, 2 - RPOs LBZ, LB7, LLY)

Supercede:

This bulletin is being revised to add model years and remove RPO LMM. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 02-06-01-022G (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System).

Some of the above vehicles may exhibit a random ticking noise that is most audible on an engine with a coolant temperature of 70°C (158°F) or higher and from idle to approximately 1500 RPM. The noise usually is most noticeable at the rear of the drivers side front wheel well. Customers may also comment about hearing a tick noise inside the vehicle at idle such as when sitting at a drive through window. All 6600 Duramax(TM) diesel engines have this condition; however some are more audible than others. Engine build variation from engine to engine contributes to differences in perceived volume. All Duramax(TM) engines are manufactured to very close tolerances to meet the durability and reliability standards.

This noise is caused by the relationship of the engine cylinder block crankshaft journals bearing inserts and the oil film. This relationship may allow a vibration that resonates through the cylinder block and is heard as a metallic ticking noise. The noise could be described as an irregular ticking or clacking sound like random typing on a mechanical typewriter.

This condition has been present in diesel engines produced for the last 20 or more years. The overall noise reduction in engines produced today makes this noise seem new when in fact it was masked by other noises in the past. Many manufacturers such as Isuzu Hino Mitsubishi and Nissan report a similar condition in their diesel engines. Testing and engine teardowns with this condition reveal no condition that would affect reliability or durability of this engine.

Dealers should not attempt to compare any customer vehicles exhibiting this noise with other similar vehicles as the noise is different from vehicle to vehicle and this may lead to the incorrect conclusion that the vehicle has a condition. This noise is a normal operating characteristic of the engine. This noise has no short or long term effects on the engine. Do not attempt repairs for this noise.
Important: Replacing the engine or internal components for this noise will not reduce or eliminate the noise.

#5 ·
It may be noraml, does this bulletin describe it?

Duramax Ticking

Bulletin No.: 02-06-01-022H

Date: August 18 2008
Subject:
Information on Engine Ticking Noise
no it does not there used to be a very sight noise and i knew about the bulitin but then it has gotten much louder instead of random typing on a mechanical typewriter it sounds like a mechanical typewriter is in an industrial blender for the previously stated time

do you run any fuel additives?
yes i do ive been running the same xdp additive for the last 20,000 miles along with reguar rotella oil changes

#4 ·
do you run any fuel additives?

#9 ·
Hmm Sounds like i have the same problem Would it still be okay to drive on it for awhile? taking it easy of course, i never noticed mine until a week ago. exact same sound as what you are describing

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.