Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

'06 LLY starts runs 3 seconds then quits

7K views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  SilverGorillaLML 
#1 ·
Hello all,
I have a 06 LLY and went to start it today and it starts fine but will kill after about 3 or 4 seconds. I can start it as many times as I like but it still kills after a few seconds. When it does start it runs as smooth as expected, it just won't stay started. It's been sitting for a few days but that has never been a problem in the past. What kind of issues might cause these symptoms? BTW, there are no trouble codes.
Thanks

#5 ·
It definitely does push in. Is that a sure sign that the filter heard needs to be rebuilt? Is there something else I can/should do to verify that or would you recommend to just rebuilding it?

#11 ·
it could be a leak anywhere on the feed side really.....get under it and look for any wet fuel lines although they may leak and not be wet since it sucks fuel and doesn't push it. When I had a pinhole in my feed line the only way I found it was to wrap a rag around my air compressor nozzle and have some one bump a little air in the tank while I got under and looked. Finally found a drip from one of the quick connects. Those like to rust....I've had 2 others leak since then. Another place is the o-ring on the bottom of the filter between the filter and water sensor. Feel of that and see if there's fuel on the bottom of your filter. It could be the head like someone else said but there's other places to check first before replacing or rebuilding that. I replaced my head only to find the pinhole later.

#14 ·
Just did the same thing. I'll have to check for leaks elsewhere I guess. Kind of new at this diesel stuff so I'm not sure where else to look. Where is the compressor and the feed line?

#12 ·
Thanks lavarock. I am experiencing the symptoms of no pressure in the filter head after attempting to start. The head won't hold pressure at all so I'm leaning toward the head needing a rebuild or replace.

#13 ·
ok, replaced the filter head and filter and still same problem. The hoses seem ok and I don't see any obvious leaks.

#16 ·
did you put air in the tank and check the quick connects by the fuel cooler? The fuel cooler is in under the truck about where you put fuel in it. It looks like a small radiator. Have someone bump a little air in the tank ( not a ton because the tank is plastic and you don't want to split it) while you lay under there watching those quick connects for a drip. The supply line is the larger 1/2" line....the smaller 3/8" is the return.

#17 ·
Hey everyone, thanks for all the suggestions. I'm throwing in the towel and having it towed in. I don't have the time to troubleshoot myself anymore because we have a camping trip coming up and I need it for the fifth wheel. I'll report back when they figure it out so there's some resolution to this.

#18 ·
Got it back today from the shop. It needed a new BCM. Also had to replace the under hood fuse block due to mice infestation. I knew the mice had been in there and cleaned it up once before but it was so bad they couldn't get accurate electronic readings until it was replaced.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.