Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Clunking in steering

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Gear_head 
#1 ·
When I go over bumps in my lbz the steering where makes loud clunking noises. Looked under the dash and the iss has been updated, it has the green lower bearing on the steering so I think that's been updated, there's not much play there. Noise seems to come from where the iss almost meets the steering shaft, so maybe my suspension needs updating? Anything else I should look at. I'm replacing the break pedal bushing also.

#4 ·
I had the same problem. I had installed a new ISS and lower column bearing. Found that the lower bearing was moving in the column causing the clunk, I put a hose clamp on the very end of the column so it was against the bearing. Fixed my clunk!

#5 ·
Well I got it fixed today, my iss was already updated with a borgeson, so I just replaced the green lower steering bearing with a new 1, even though mine didn't have much play I figured what the heck, and I replaced the bushing in the brake pedal. Happy to say my clunk is gone and by brake pedal is also quiet over bumps. Just ordered cognito uca and Bilstein struts hoping to help the ride out, thanks for replies!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.