Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Electrical Fire

17K views 39 replies 13 participants last post by  mizterwizard 
#1 ·
Last week end while I was on a business trip, my truck caught fire. It was parked in my driveway with the doors locked. My neighbor told my wife that the fog lamps were on. She went out and unlocked the truck, opened the door and found the dash around the fuse box burnt nad melted. It had rained heavly the night before.

has anyone had the same issue?

insurance adjuster coming today.
:frown2:

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
That sucks!! hopefully your insurance takes care of it. Did you have any electrical mods done? all-on headlight mod, extra lights, programmer/monitor, etc?

#7 ·
:scareee

#8 ·
Oh Dang, I doubt that it will be fixed-- lots of damage-- and it is hard to estimate the hidden damage.

BYE

#10 ·
No fire department. It happened over night. My wife was notified by a neighbor that the fog lamps were on. She went out to turn them off and discovered the damage. The first sign she noticed of a problem was that the door was sticking shut. It must have put itself out by suffocation. If the windows were open it might have burnt to the ground. I am grateful it went out as it was parked next to the house and my wife and 3 kids were home alone. No loss to the home or family.

#11 ·
We did have a down pour rain storm over night. If water leaked into the cab could that have caused it? The sun roof half melted and fallen in, the windshield black and shattered visor fell and landed on the seat.

Attachments

#12 ·
Damn Man!

#13 ·
Any word from insurance yet?

#16 ·
Insurance adjuster failed to show up today. My son is taking auto mechanics at the local college. I took photos to the instructor, he wants to tear it down and find the cause as class project. We'll see what insurance says.

@ AJH Sorry about the truck. You put alot of work into it. It had 190K

#24 ·
Actually if you could find a good intact cab, that would be the best way to fix it-- after you buyit back from the insurance company.

#28 ·
Darn. Good looking truck too. However, no damage to family or house which is the main thing.

As for used cabs, there's all kinds of methods for sourcing one. Since you need an entire interior, buying a whole parts truck (ideally minus engine/tranny/bed so it's cheaper) would be your best bet I'd think.

As well, user http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/members/360233-jnj71.html just this summer picked up a silver birch crew cab for his LBZ, so he wouldn't be a bad guy to ask about this, either. However to be frank with your man, if they offer for you to buy it back, just part it out. A whole cab and interior swap would be a bigger headache than it'd be worth in my mind.

#29 · (Edited)
I thought you might enjoy this:

Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market

The search I did on crew cabs returned about 400 possibilities. Should find something useful in that.

I don't see anyone talking about this web site. It is where all of the salvage yards go to find parts for customers that they don't have in their own yard.

I don't know about the US yards selling to Canada but there are lots of Canadian yards selling to the US so it shouldn't be a problem.

#31 ·
WOW that sucks! Glad everyone is OK, and no damage to your house. Sounds like insurance will cut you a check, and I would agree, if you can buy it back for under $3k, you should be able to part it out and come out with even a little more money. OR let your kid & his class use it as a project, then part it out. Shoot, if he's really into working on rigs, let him source the cab etc and it could become his truck?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.