Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Lbz head gasket or freeze plug

8K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Cokercola88 
#1 ·
I bought my lbz 2 weekends ago and I discovered that it is dripping a little coolant from the back of the motor. It won't leak when the truck is hot. I ordered some Irontite all season sealer but my dad has been a mechanic at delta for 26 years and he said don't add it in or else it will cause other problems. What is everyone's opinion???

#2 ·
Do not use sealer-- your dad is correct. Plug heater core and other passages.

Remove the air intake from the Turbo and inspect- may be a turbo cooler hose or etc.

A leaky head gasket on a Duramax will usually show pressure in the cooling system-top radiator hose firm like a tennis ball, [after driven hard, and sat overnight]

#3 ·
Ok I'm at work now but when I get home I'll do that and hopefully that's my problem! I sure hope it is!

#4 ·
I had to get diesel on the way home and it was dry. I've noticed it will only leak when it's cold

#5 ·
Left or right side? (when it leaks)

#6 ·
Driver side

#7 ·
More then likely its the rubber seal up by the oil filter, there's a small housing/elbow/cover up there.
gasket# 97192666
seal #97192667

#8 ·
Hopefully so. I got it pressure tested and everything was fine. It lost a tad bit of pressure but not much. Didn't leak tho. I've noticed it does not leak when it's hot

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.