Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Why do a EGR/pcv reroute

35K views 30 replies 11 participants last post by  zeke38 
#1 ·
I believe this picture of my turbo should explain why to do a pcv reroute and EGR delete.

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide App

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
because it makes your turbocharger fall off?

Reactions: Yoink8686
#5 ·
I see oil and dirt on the housing of the turbocharger..... but that is 100% irrelevant to a PCV re-route. That's just from having a dirty engine bay. That would be like me taking a picture of a muddy tire and saying "This is why you should do the EGR delete"

Can't really see into the compressor wheel.

#8 ·
I did mine when my truck only had about 7,000 miles on it. What compelled me to do it was when I took the intake apart (at the intake pre-heater grid) to drill/tap for a boost gauge, I was amazed at how much oil and sludge there was inside the lower CAC outlet tube. You won't believe how much sludge and gunk gets built up quickly because of both (PCV and EGR). The CAC will get so gummed up because of the PCV, and the intake manifold, heads and valves will get carbon'd up because of the EGR. I just took off my manifold halves again a couple days ago to drill/tap 4 1/8" NPT holes for meth injection (I made an extra while I had it off just in case I add nitrous down the road). It was still clean inside! It was cleaner after 80,000 miles than it had been after just 7,000 when the truck was new. Also, one other piece of evidence that tells me it's the right thing to to, is that I routed the PCV tube I used all the way down the frame rail, and dumped it right past the tank. I see thick, sludgy oil drops where I park my truck in my driveway. It's so thick, it feels more like RTV than oil. Just imagine if this had been making it's way into your CAC for thousands and thousands of miles!

I think this mod (the combination of both the PCV reroute and the EGR block-off), almost more than ANY other mod, is one of the BEST things you can do on your truck to make it last longer and run cleaner and better.

#9 ·
The only part that would get oil/soot from the EGR/PCV route is this part:

and since the only thing you can see in the picture is shadowing, besides some fingerprints, the picture is showing nothing.

The PCV re-route and EGR block off is to keep oil/soot from entering your intake. I don't know if you know how a turbocharger works, but the intake charge does NOT go on the outside of the housing.... I don't even know why one would think that. It goes INTO the compressor.

the oil on the housing could be one of a million things..... turbo seal going bad, oil lines rotting out, whoever filled up the truck with oil spraying down the entire truck with oil, elvis presley living inside your turbine housing

#11 ·
Well didn't expect this to blow up. But the oil came from the pcv it was seeping out of all the tubes, between the intake and turbo. And the turbo inner cooler line driver side. Might I and this truck has 174000 miles with the pcv/EGR so theres been some time to build up. But hey who am I just trying to help other from being where I am.

#12 ·
Dude, I'm with you. I was just offering a little insight to hopefully help others, too. That other guy is just a 14-year-old girly drama queen. Look at her first response to your original post "because it makes your turbocharger fall off?" - just a sarcastic response for no reason. And the smoking gun is, she must know exactly why this is an important mod, because after closer inspection of her signature, you'll see she must have paid some knowledgeable man to do the same mods on her truck! Go figure. Some people just gotta bring Jerry Springer reality into everything.

Good luck with your turbo. Hope you can get it back together and running well.

#17 ·
I circled them for ya bud!

#19 ·
There ya go. I had already cleaned the outlet once prior to me knowing much about these newer diesel. It looked like that spot all the way around it.
I still have my Y bridge in so I try and get a picture like that one of it with 174000 miles. I already sent the intake to get cleaned. Waste of $30 cause I bought the profab delete pipe.

#20 ·
sooo no pictures of the inside of the compressor or outlet of compressor?

#22 ·
Do you at least remember what it looked like?

#26 ·
I had about a half quart pour out of the EGR cooler when we took it off. The charger had oil in it and I cant wait to take the intercooler out and see what comes out of it.

I'm really glad my PCV was not in the intake tract when the piston cracked. An engine fire on the side of I-75 would've sucked ten times as bad.

#28 · (Edited)
You basically have to take out your y-bridge to clean that. but god only knows what the insides of the heads look like.

Its never too late to do a blocker plate or pcv re-route. they are simple fixes to prevent even more soot from piling up

now for a contrasting image. I opened mine up on Thursday to see just how clean mine was. I studded the motor back in March and cleaned everything up. driven roughly 6,000 miles since then with just the blocker plate installed.

still clean as can be.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.