Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Wet/Smoking Downpipe?

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  akhend 
#1 ·
Everything in my signature is current except I installed the Profab tow flow up pipes and Profab EGR delete back in September. I have only driven the pickup twice since then because I have a company pickup I use most of the time. I had to take the Profab Downpipe off to replace the upper up pipe gaskets today and I noticed the heat wrapping around the Downpipe was damp. There was no smell and it felt like water with the tiniest bit of oil when I rubbed it between my fingers. I found this very strange because I haven't even started the pickup since mid November. After buttoning everything up I started her up and, with it being a cold day, it went into high idle mode. The Downpipe immediately started to smoke/steam as it was burning off the dampness. It had no odor that I could tell.

I have a few theories in my head, but can't check on them because she is in my father in law's barn and not at my house and I ran out of time today. Does anyone have any ideas or experienced anything like this before? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 ·
Morning bump.

#4 ·
That's what I was hoping. It's usually very arid here in the Texas Panhandle, but it's been wet this weekend.
I love every piece I've bought from you. The fit and finish is perfect. I don't have a way to monitor EGTs at the moment, so I don't know the difference it made there. I haven't driven it enough to gauge increase in fuel mileage, but I was very impressed when I pulled my in laws 5th wheel to a wedding right after I deleted the EGR and put on the up pipes. I would highly recommend Profab to anyone. High quality stuff! Well done, Rick!

#5 ·
I think I've found the culprit. It seems the plastic coolant hose connection coming out of the firewall may be leaking. It's not bad enough to cause it to puddle up on the ground, just dampen the heat wrapping on the down pipe. I tightened the hose clamp to see if that fixes it. I may have cracked it when replacing the line when I deleted the EGR. Oh well, at least it's an easy fix.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.