Upgrades for towing - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
06-07 LBZ & LLY Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 06-07.5 LBZ/LLY Duramax Trucks No Advertising

40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

Upgrades for towing

I just bought a 2007(Classic) 2500HD with 65,000 miles on it. It is bone stock. We also just bought a 40' 5th wheel holiday trailer. Dry weight of trailer is 12,500lbs. What recommendations do you have for any reliable and useful modifications to accommodate this unit? This truck will only be used to tow the trailer, and will just sit in the driveway the rest of the time. Thank you in advance, Mike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 10:10 AM
DuramaxForum Veteran

as long as everything is in good shape, the truck stock can pull that all day long. Upgrades are plentiful and expensive, probably time to start reading through the performance threads
post #3 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Seems an EGR delete and a tow tune is in order. I was wondering about upgrading the turbo.

post #4 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 10:20 AM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Don't touch the turbo unless your upgrading the trans as well, if you expect the vehicle to tow well and without introducing more variables/problems. Adding a turbo will not be good for a stock Allison especially if you're towing 13k

Egr delete is a thing, some people do some don't. It's more a longevity mod than anything. With a tow tune, it'll likely be turned off anyways. Add a $10 blocker for cheap insurance it won't open under boost, or delete it entirely for 50x more money.
nastynotchback1 likes this.
post #5 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Good advice, thank you. I'll do the $10.00 blocker and tune. Just leave it at that.
post #6 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 10:37 AM

Pyro gauge
PCV re-route
EGR block plate
down pipe
exhaust
Lift pump (If for nothing else, I like the extra filtration)
EFI live
RLLBZ and Sierraluva like this.

2006 2500HD CCSB, 4x4

EFI Live by Idaho Rob, Banks CAI, AirDog 165 4G, PPE fuel ports, Sinister EGR Cooler, PCV Reroute, Diamond Eye downpipe, Turbo Back 4", Kryptonite upper a-arms, MOOG SD lower ball joints, Sleeved MOOG SD tie rods, MOOG problem solver Pitman and Idler w/PISK,
Kryptonite Transmission Support, Firestone Ride Rite, Bilstein 5100s, B&W Turnover, Curt Class V
post #7 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

What benefits would I see from these upgrades Mr. jg358? I don't want to jeopardize any reliability issues.
post #8 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 11:03 AM

They're about increasing reliability and longevity.

Pyro gauge (exhaust temp) lets you know when you need to back off the skinny pedal towing.
PCV re-route stops the PCV gasses from being circulated into your intake and clogging stuff up.
Block plate stops exhaust gasses from being circulated back into your intake.
Larger down pipe to replace the squished factory one will drop your EGTs
Exhaust will drop your EGTs.
Lift pump adds another water seperator and another fuel filter along with taking some strain off the CP3
EFI live is your tow tune. Not really a must but I really like my tow tune with turbo brake.

2006 2500HD CCSB, 4x4

EFI Live by Idaho Rob, Banks CAI, AirDog 165 4G, PPE fuel ports, Sinister EGR Cooler, PCV Reroute, Diamond Eye downpipe, Turbo Back 4", Kryptonite upper a-arms, MOOG SD lower ball joints, Sleeved MOOG SD tie rods, MOOG problem solver Pitman and Idler w/PISK,
Kryptonite Transmission Support, Firestone Ride Rite, Bilstein 5100s, B&W Turnover, Curt Class V
post #9 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 11:33 AM
DuramaxForum Veteran

^^^ all good ideas.

My point was that as long as your truck is running right, it'll tow that stock all day long. All the listed upgrades are the ubiquitous ones and done for the sake of longevity and reliability.
post #10 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 12:25 PM

Garage
What Jack said^. He's helped me with similar issues. I also tow a 12k+ fifth wheel and may I suggest an air bag system for the rear. I pull it as a goose neck though so its a little different. But it does help.

There are as many upgrades out there as you want to pay for. I would personally do a few things to pad the longevity factor. The last thing you want is to be stranded hours from home pulling that camper. A lift pump, blocker plates, and a tow tune would be my choice. An exhaust brake is a very good add for pulling weight.

Kennedy Single lift pump plumbed to BF7633 and BF1212
Diode Dynamics Interior Bulb Conversion
305/55/20 Toyo Open Country AT2's
Rough Country steering stabilizer
OLB 50'' curved LED light bar
BMF R.E.P.R. 20x9 Wheels
LED Headlights/fog lights
OptiLube XPD every tank
Deviant PCV Reroute
Edge Insight CTS2
2012GMC2500CCSB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode