Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Fuel Gelling??

28K views 38 replies 26 participants last post by  zombywolf 
#1 ·
New to diesels. I know the fuel can gel at low ambient temps. About what temp does this occur? What is the effect on the engine? And how can you tell if your problem is due to fuel gelling?
What keeps the "Ice Road Truckers" from gelling? Fuel additives, some sort of fuel heaters?

#2 ·
dont really know what temperature it happens at but i throw a splash of additive if its cold (days when its about a high of 30F, and goes into the teens at night) when i fill up.

Heard from a decent amount of truckers that Howes diesel additive is the best.

#5 ·
Gelling can start as high as 20. Most colder climate areas will either have a winter blend like 1/3 No 2 diesel 2/3 No 1 diesel or similar and will be displayed on pumps or will have #1 diesel and #2 diesel pumps so you can blend your own(also displayed on pumps). I use #2 primarily in winter and double that recommended rate of Stanadyne or good anti gel additive until it gets into sub zero continuous temperatures before I add #1 with additive. With winter blend of #1 and #2 you will get less fuel economy. Additive does not reduce economy. I use additive from time we start seeing 50 degree highs until again continuous above 50 degree highs.

#6 ·
My dad has a Duramax and it got down to -23 last year and his never even sputtered. He didn't have any anti gel stuff in either. I had howes in mine and i think the howes must of gelled up because it only goes to -20 I believe and a message came across that said fuel filter plugged and we get fuel from the same place. I think he was running the winter blend so that probably helped. Avoid biodiesel at all costs.

#8 ·
Nah, I ain't gelling. lol Low temp yesterday was in the mid teens and high was high thirtys. Not typical for SC. Just curious.
My owners manual says the use of additives is not necessary or recommended. I wonder if that includes fuel anti-gelling products?
Thanks for the replies guys.

#9 ·
New to diesels. I know the fuel can gel at low ambient temps. About what temp does this occur? What is the effect on the engine? And how can you tell if your problem is due to fuel gelling?
What keeps the "Ice Road Truckers" from gelling? Fuel additives, some sort of fuel heaters?[/QUOTE]

Lot of the trucks in cold country are never turned off when it get so cold. Run then 24/7-!

#13 ·
we had some sub-zero temps to -20 last year and a week or so below zero everyday. i didn't run any additive. only a winterfront and i spun on a fresh fuel filter the first time it got below freezing. i had no problems at all. i'm curious to see what this year will be like since i lifted my front bumper and my winter front won't fit now, as well as having an airdog.

#14 · (Edited)
According to the Power Service website, untreated fuel starts to gel at about 5* F. Winter blend should not gel until the temp drops well below zero. The actual gel point of winter fuel probably varies according to where it's purchased and other variables. Go to the site below to see an interesting slide show of the Power Service Cold Fuel Plugging Point. Click the Fuel Testing tab at the top of the page.

Power Service Products, diesel fuel additives, prevent gelling, clean injectors, disperse water, boost cetane, reduce emissions, improve fuel economyPower Service Products, diesel fuel additives, prevent gelling, clean injectors, disperse water, boos

#15 ·
Thanks for all the replys guys.

So some of you with the LMM's are using some kind of fuel additive.

I doubt there are any dealers down here that offer a winter blend. Just doesn't get that cold for a long period of time.

#16 ·
What keeps the "Ice Road Truckers" from gelling? Fuel additives, some sort of fuel heaters?
Some cold weather big trucks run a pogo stick heater to help warm the fuel.

Duramax's have a fuel cooler before it's dumped back into he tank.
So if you buy quality diesel, use a little additive and keep the fuel filter clean, once you get the truck started you should be good to go.

#18 ·
i use "diesel kleen" on every tank fill, 8oz. per tank. it helps lub and keep the injectors clean while preventing fuel gelling. they have two different bottles, gray one for the winter an white one doesn't contain anti gelling ativitve. i believe that right, it could be the other way around.:rof

#27 ·
itll be down lower, just above your exhaust manifolds towards the front of the motor, might be easier to find if you remove the inner fender well

#29 ·
Try checking by the passenger side battery. If it hasn't been used since new, it will still be tied in a coil. If you can't see it you may have to remove the fender liner. Some have found it while changing the fuel filter.

#30 ·
How are you guys identifying if a fuel station has winter blend or not? It's been getting pretty chilly in PA this past week, so I'm curious.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.