Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Water in fuel Service Required!

17K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  jc1843 
#1 ·
MY 08 Duramax wont turn over! I changed the fuel Filter ran for a week and again died on me! Code reads Water in fuel service required! Pulled drain plug but no water came out! HELP PLEASE! Thanks

#4 ·
"Won't turn over"
Meaning no power to turn over?
Or
It turns over, but won't fire/start?

WIF sensor won't cause a no-start.

What is the actual DTC stored, causing a reduced power error?

#8 ·
Most any parts store will/can read any stored codes for you. If it's a fuel limp, it will reset after several key cycles, once you've cured the fuel supply issue.

#9 ·
Moved to LMM for more help-

#10 ·
Water-in-Fuel Lamp Always On

Diagnostic Instructions

Circuit/System Description

If there is water in the fuel system, the water in fuel sensor switch will close and produce a low voltage on the signal circuit. When the engine control module (ECM) detects a low signal from the water in fuel sensor the ECM will send a serial data message to the instrument panel cluster (IPC). The IPC will then illuminate the WATER IN FUEL SERVICE REQUIRED message in the driver information center (DIC).

Circuit/System Testing

1. Ignition OFF, disconnect the harness connector at the water in fuel sensor.
  2. Ignition OFF, test for less than 1.0 ohm of resistance between the ground circuit terminal B and ground.

• If greater than 1.0 ohm, test the ground circuit for an open/high resistance.

1. Verify the scan tool Water In Fuel Sensor parameter is No Water.

• If not No Water, test the signal circuit terminal A of the water in fuel sensor for a short to ground. If the circuit tests normal, replace the ECM.

1. If all circuits test normal, test or replace the water in fuel sensor.
Repair Instructions

Perform the Diagnostic Repair Verification after completing the diagnostic procedure

#11 ·
OK guys got a call from the Dealer and they say its the Pedal. The pedal has 2 censor and one is going out. For $350 they can replace and for $250 they do a fuel sample to see if any water in the fuel. They aslo said that in my case the water in fuel would not reduce engine power. Any thoughts and comments would be appreciated! Thanks

#13 ·
I moved it for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.