Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Troubles with DPF

4K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  D_R_C 
#1 ·
Lately I've noticed my regens on my 07.5 are quite frequent and getting "stuck" in regen modes for days at a time wasting fuel and high EGT's. I do drive mostly city and know this is the cause as I'm not reaching highway speeds long enough for a regen to complete. I'm planning on deleting and tuning with EFI Live, I have read tons of forums, read all the sticky's on this site but nothing really answers my questions. The route I want to take is install a second hollowed out dpf to retain the stock look(do I need to hook everything back up?), but I cant seem to find a good how to. My understanding is to install the second dpf then EFI Live will turn off the dpf through programming. I'm unsure if I need to unhook anything since I want to run a stock gutted dpf. I do know this has been covered all over but not finding the results that match my scenario. Please be nice to the fng bringing up yet another dpf question haha. Tia.

Reactions: Josh Heron
#3 ·
You can buy a DPF only delete pipe that has the 4 bolt and 3 bolt flange bolts directly in place of the DPF.
This would be less hassle, less labor and probably less cost, you mentioned retaining stock look ?

If that's your wants then do it, like SilverGorilla said disconnect everything and IMO leave the sensors in your DPF and just unplug the wires. On the metal tube with rubber hoses leave that installed on your DPF as well, just unplug and drop the plate that those hoses are connected with your DPF.

Suggestion: Store the stock DPF somewhere in case you ever have to put it back on, to sell or trade-in or for possible emissions.

#4 ·
Ok, thanks guys. The county I live in decided to emissions on diesels starting this year so that's why I want to retain the stock look. From what I've heard it's just a visual test, but just in case if it's an OBDII test could the test center see the dpf has been deleted?

#5 ·
I know a few that have gone that route.
Leave all sensors in and connected for "visual" reasons.

Remove the dpf.
Cut a square hole on the side that faces away from you.
Remove inards.
Weld square back in.
Reinstall dpf.

#6 ·
If they are looking for the ready status of the emissions system monitors with OBDII, then yes, most likely they will be able to tell as those sensors will show as not available.

Unless someone knows a trick I don't.

#7 ·
I have my original exhaust hanging on the garage wall... and the original tune on a computer and USB drive - just in case North Carolina decides to test emissions! It'll be a bummer to install it for 1 day a year, but I'll do whatever is necessary.

#9 ·
If it's a visual inspection, you need to leave everything plugged in. They will notice all of the sensors unplugged otherwise. If it's an OBD-II test, they will know it's all been deleted. You will need to know what the test consists of before doing anything.

#11 ·
I briefly forgot to unplug the EGR stuff when I did mine, tried to move the truck and it ran like crap, so I'm pretty sure you need to unplug them.

#12 ·
That's odd. My EGR valve and intake heater are both shut off through EFI tuning. They are both intact and plugged in still. Been that way for 4 years now with no issues.

#14 · (Edited)
Some have this issue and some don't.
Which leeds me to think maybe sometimes the EGR doesn't always get turned off thru the tuning.

I had this problem but only after I blocked my EGR.

My first gen Edge Insight has a PID to monitor the EGR % function.
Edge won't offer this anymore, because they don't think anyone needs to know.

That's how I figured out my rough running problem, I unplugged it, problem solved.
Because the EGR was opening and closing bouncing from 0%-100%, if it was turned off there would be no readings.

This is just some info just in case someone has a similar issue to try.

#15 ·
We find ^^that^^ issue a lot on Maxxforce engines. Typically we unscrew the valve actuator and drive the vehicle home.

#16 · (Edited)
What most people don't understand is with some tuners all they do is just turn off the check engine light for emissions components.
My EGR was functioning (egr trouble code turned off) until I blocked it then it went crazy trying to work until I unplugged it.

#17 ·
So you are saying my EGR valve may be functioning still? I never thought about that. Good thing I am putting a "race pipe" on it in the next couple months.

#18 ·
Could be, the only way I knew was thru my first gen Edge Insight, which Edge no longer offers this PID.
It's still on my Insight, which it is in a box in my office.
0% is closed, it never went above 50% towing under full load after I deleted the DPF stock muffler, and did my DIY airbox mod.

Check out the AAT's compared to my IAT's with just the DIY airbox mod.
No aftermarket CAI could perform any better.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.