P0401 engine code - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
07.5-2010 LMM Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2011, 03:28 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

P0401 engine code

Hey got a quick question if anyone has an answer. I was recently driving my truck and the check engine light came on. Buddy of mine has a scanner so I scanned it and the P0401 code came up for low exhause gas flow. I brought it to the dealer ship and they said they need to do an injector clean for 300 bucks and load a new program in to the computer for another 400 dollars also regenerate the DPF. Does any of this sound strange to anyone else. I dont understand why all this has to happen. The truck never started running poorly and the check engine light went off in about 15 minutes. Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2011, 03:38 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

$700$?
Run Away

That's an EGR code for low flow....which doesn't hurt anything.
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"

Hook'em_Horns! is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2011, 05:05 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Should I be concerned also the guy at the dealship told me i should have my injectors cleaned every 30k miles to the tune of 300 bucks per cleaning. I run an additive in every tank and I always have.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:09 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
Do work!
Supporting Member

I'd say that dealer was low on their quota and needed to make some money. You do not have to have your injectors cleaned every 30k, some of the bs people come up with is amazing. Your doing a good thing running additive, not much more you can do. Other than be picky where you get your fuel from
GMguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2011, 05:16 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
Go Green!

^ I agree.. the dealer is trying to take advantage of you.

Personally id get a tuner and exhaust to remove the dpf, block the EGR off and then never worry about it again
Old 12-05-2011, 06:14 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

If the light turned off on its own then apparently what ever happened has corrected itself.
Have your buddy scan it again and check for codes.

If your using a additive every tankful then you should be ok, one thing you could check if you know someone with the proper equipment is the "Fuel injector balance rates". This would tell you if your having injector issues.
I had mine checked last week,@55K and all was good, I use Diesel Kleen and Lucas every tankful. I would have to think your dealer is hungry for business.

I just bought my own today ScanTool.net LLC - PC, Laptop, or Netbook - Scan Tools - ScanTool.net
I have not had a chance to set it up and probably won`t for a few weeks.
This is the one I bought along with the Scan XL Pro and the GM Enhanced for the Scan XL Pro ScanTool.net LLC - OBDLink SX Scan Tool/OBD Interface - ScanTool.net

This appears to be pretty nice and almost comparable to the Tech II for monitoring Fuel Injector Balance Rates in real time, with your own PC or Laptop.
I searched for several days and this was the best price that I have found for something like this around $ 250.00 for everything except the PC/Laptop and vehicle to test.
EFILive AutoCal by Idaho Rob @ ATP. http://atptrucks.com/?fullSite=1

2007 GMC Yukon Denali "BLACK" 6.2 gasser
LUCAS Fuel Treatment and LUCAS Oil Stabilizer

EFILive AutoCal by MJ Engineering

Last edited by D_R_C; 12-05-2011 at 06:20 PM.
D_R_C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2011, 06:27 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jddriver6 View Post
the guy at the dealship told me i should have my injectors cleaned every 30k miles to the tune of 300 bucks per cleaning. I run an additive in every tank and I always have.
Did they happen to reveal/show you what the balance rates were that would necessitate the cleaning? Or did they just randomly throw out that 30k mile figure?
If youre regularly running an additive, Id doubt you have issues on an LMM.
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"

Hook'em_Horns! is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2011, 06:53 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

If the truck it totally stock, and no mods have been done to it, then it sounds like the EGR valve or the EGR cooler is plugged. To clean the valve, take the intake tube and the EGR valve off and clean the heck out of the valve. If the valve is not too bad, then the EGR cooler is plugged. Take the EGR cooler off and soak it in a 100% solution of Simple Green for 24 hours. That should take care of it. If you were a northern truck, I would almost guarantee this is your problem. Being a southern truck, you will have to dig around. If you spend a lot of time idling, then this is likely your problem. I would also look around for another opinion and try to find a dealer that has a real diesel tech working there.
2006 2500HD LBZ 4X4 CC/SB LT3, 265/75R16, Rhino Liner, PCV Reroute, Resonator Plugged, 35w 6K HID Low Beam & Fog Lights, LED Interior Lights, ISSPro Pyro, Boost, & Rail Pressure Gauges in A-Pillar, more to come soon.

1996 K2500 Suburban 7.4L, 265/75R16, Brush Guard, Nerf Bars

Last edited by lugnut; 12-05-2011 at 07:00 PM.
lugnut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.