Steering whine only when turning left under 10mph - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
07.5-2010 LMM Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2012, 08:07 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Steering whine only when turning left under 10mph

Hey guys, I'm relatively new to the forum and looking for some help. I've done a few searches but haven't found anyone describe the issue I am having. Before I start, I have already done the power steering/hydro flush found here:

http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/ho...ost-flush.html

This flush made absolutely no change in the noise. Like everyone else that flushed, my fluid was black as could be.

So, on to my issue. Any time I turn left and am moving (forward or reverse) under say 12mph or so I have a HORRIBLE steering whine. It only does it when turning left, and it only does it under that speed. I can turn left and right anywhere above that speed and have no whine, I can turn right at any speed and have no whine. It also seems like it does it when the truck is completely up to operating temperature. At least that is the consistency I have noticed.

I'm new to the Dmax, finally wisened up and sold the 6.0 F250 for the new truck. I originally thought it was the power steering pump needing replacement which is no big deal, under $100 bucks for the pump and done, but after reading more I'm not sure. I don't know much about the "Hydroboost" so maybe someone can help me out. I would love to get this noise fixed right away as I have a 4" Cognito kit on the way from Nick along with some 35's to go with it. I know it's only gonna get worse once that is done.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!
dusty2221 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2012, 08:22 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

I had the same thing. I tried the flush and was only able to buy Johnson's Power steering fluid. Still squealing after the flush. I sucked a little fluid out and replaced it with1/2 quart of royal purple power steering fluid. No squeal after that. I recommend that you try putting in quality Power steering fluid. Good luck.
Lighted center console
120 volt in dash
Retired Fire Captain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2012, 06:42 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

I can give another flush a try this weekend if no one else has any suggestions. Anyone? Does this just sound like a case of a Power Steering pump gone/going bad?
Old 03-01-2012, 03:07 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

Mine does it too after I did the flush. Figured it was because of the synthetic fluid is thinner than conventional, my guess anyways.

Mine came out black, new went in clear.

MBRP DP MBRP SS 5" TB Exhaust Edge Insight CTS EGR Blocker EFI LIVE V2 DSP 5 Fumoto Fuel Filter Access Door Aluminum Bleeder Nicktane OEM Adapter Firestone Air Bags Toyo OC ATII 285/70/17 Chrome Boulder H2 Line X Weather Tech's, PCV Re-Route, DDM 6k HID Lows & Fogs.
bluefx4flare is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2012, 10:15 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Any more reports on the whine?? I have the same issue.
2007 LBZ CC/SB SLT 4x4, 5" Magnaflow SS, S&B CIA, Firestone Airbags, Dominator III steps, De-Badged, 5% on windows with 40% on windshield, 5K HID's w/ All-On-Mod, Edge CTS Insight, SDP EGR delete w/ boost probe, Batmowheel, ATP tunes, PCV reroute w/ plug, Kryptonite Tierods & Centerlink, Cognito UCA's, Bilstien 5100's, Airdog II 165, ATP Intercooler pipe, Pump rub upgrade and Transfer case brace, Trans repair lines, LML manifold, SS brake lines, Sulastic springs, ATS pans, ATI dampner, drilled and slotted rotors with ceramic pads, 295/70-17 Trail Grapplers on H2's

Thanks Dustin and Rob at ATP and Steve and Zack at Glissions Diesel Performance
CAGLE DURAMAX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2012, 11:52 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

No, I was for sure someone else would have had this issue and solved it. Just yesterday I bought 12oz of Royal Purple PS Fluid and 12 OZ of Lucas PS "Renew" stuff. I'm gonna do another flush with regular fluid until it's all clean, ant then mix the new stuff 50/50 and flush until it starts coming out. I'll update with my results after a few days for driving.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:32 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

I have the same problem! My mechanic said that I should grease my ball joints and all the other grease inserts in the front end

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
2008 2500hd duramax-5% tint all around-22x10 Recon SS American Force wrappend with 305/45/22 nitto 420s-edge cts insight-EFI'd-10 in kickers-kicker amp-alpine navigation-egr delete- 4 in turbo back- turbo res plugged- 8000k hids hi lo
DMAXSTORE.com Your Duramax Diesel-Only Shopping Resource
dmaxblack3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2012, 09:39 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporting Member

Sub'd
2005 LLY CC SB 4X4 Ranch Hand Bumpers, 265/75/16 BFG'S A/T'S, EGR Blocked and FingerSticked, MB Gunner 8 Wheels, Banks 4" Monster Exhaust with MBRP Cat Delete Front Pipe, AFE Bladerunner MP, PCV Reroute, All Lights ON Mood, Nicktane CAT fuel filter, AirDog 100, Amsoil Fluids and more go fast goodies soon!.
BIGON is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2012, 09:52 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
^^^ Needs more $ for mods
Supporting Member

Sub'd. I also have a little power steering noise at low speed. It's not too bad. I was thinking of doing the power steering flush. What is the best quality power steering fluid recommended for these trucks?
20x9 Ultra Predators, 285 55R20 Nitto Terra Grapplers, EFILive Autocal DSP5 (ATP) 5" Diamond Eye SS w/muffler, Diamond Eye Downpipe, Transgo jr. Isspro Ev2 gauges, PCV reroute, EGR blocked, Cognitto UCA's, pitman/idler arm supports, Bilstein 5100's, MA Stainless tierod sleeves, Billet grille, Roll N Lock, Line-X, AFE stage 2 intake, Chrome tow hooks, WeatherTech visors, Spyder LED Tail lights, Cree reverse lights, B&W Turnover ball, 1500 tailgate spoiler, Loadlifter 5000 airbags, wirelessOne

2013 Forrest River Wildcat Extralite 293 REX
SUPERBOWL CHAMPS!!! GO SEAHAWKS!!!
AJ 72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2012, 08:12 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Sub'd. Same issue since the dealer did my headgaskets, no idea what kind of fluid they put in. I replaced a leaky hose which seamed to help, but still have some noise.
Ranchhand front bumper
Aeroforce Gauges
jsh101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.