Reduced engine power - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
07.5-2010 LMM Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2012, 12:04 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Question Reduced engine power

Hello, I have a 2008 Gmc Sierra 2500HD Duramax Diesel with about 55,000 miles on it. It keeps getting a "reduced engine power" message on the dash, then it doesn't have any power, its like putting a brick under the gas pedal.
I have went to the dealer and they cleared the code so they could try to duplicate the code, which it never came back for them. I use to have edge juice with attitude hooked up to it, so the dealer says thats what is screwing up my truck. Even when it isn't hooked up I will still get the "reduced engine power" message. I really hope someone here knows whats wrong with the truck, please help. Thank you
toohott7718 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2012, 03:19 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

If you have that programmer chose the setting of return back to stock, don't load any programming on it and then scan for DTCs.
Dan1969 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2012, 07:09 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

You should find out what code it is throwing first. Could be as simple as an oxygen sensor. I kept getting p0101 which is maf sensor. I highly doubt it's your programmer that's making the codes. Stupid stealerships

Sent from my iPhone 4s
8 inch fabtech lift,36x15.50 baja mtz's,20x12 fuel nutz,reflexxion hood,rbp grille,s&b cai,recon smoked headlights,dsp5 by Kory Willis,mbrp 5 inch TB,mbrp dp,7" black chrome stack,PPE boost and pyro gauges,edge insight cts,bd blow off,egr delete,pcv re-route, alpine touch screen, 2 10" type r's SOLD

new truck- 2011 Denali lml, 6 inch fabtech lift, 22x12 american force rebel's, 35" terra grapplers, h&s mini max, banks cai, 5" exhaust, recon tails and 3rd brake light
polarisiq93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2012, 08:19 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

^^^what he said^^^
You need to find out what the trouble code is first before the problem can be addressed.
If your dealer was not smart enough to do this, then find someone else that is.
EFILive AutoCal by Idaho Rob @ ATP. http://atptrucks.com/?fullSite=1

2007 GMC Yukon Denali "BLACK" 6.2 gasser
LUCAS Fuel Treatment and LUCAS Oil Stabilizer

EFILive AutoCal by MJ Engineering
D_R_C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2012, 10:26 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

I have this exact same problem. Happened to me again tonight for the second time. Within a couple hours, my programmer gets rid of the code, but i'll have checked out anyways to make sure its nothing serious.
EFI Live DSP5 - Nick Preignitz (DuramaxTuner)
ISSPRO EV2 Boost and EGT, H&S Mini Maxx for Gauges
Lifetime LED Headlights, Rigid Industries Dually's (2 Spot, 2 Flood)

GODS NOT DEAD
DuraMAXX7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2012, 01:22 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

I went back to the shop today and the dealer tried to charge me another $100.00 deductable for the repair, it was the same exact problem I had a little over a week ago. I told the service rep there was no way I'm paying again for something they were suppose to fix the last time I was there. He finally said I'll waive this deductable but I won't do any more repairs that have to do with driveability issues, what a bunch of sh*t. Anyway they said my gas pedal needed to be replaced, I looked at the invoice when I got in my truck and along with the gas pedal in the description it said throttle position sensor. I'm not sure if it is apart of the gas pedal or not but I do believe it was the TPS.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:50 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuraMAXX7 View Post
I have this exact same problem. Happened to me again tonight for the second time. Within a couple hours, my programmer gets rid of the code, but i'll have checked out anyways to make sure its nothing serious.

Let me know what the dealer says about your truck, I'm curious to know if it is the same thing as my truck, good luck!!
Old 07-06-2012, 05:09 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

I am curious about your situation. Are there any unique circumstances associated with the reduced power? I.E. towing, weather (temps), anything else you can think of?

I ask because mine is doing the same thing after towing my boat and then sitting for 15 to 20 mins. I can get the boat to the lake but can't get it home.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:39 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Guys get yourselves a code checker/clearer then YOU will know what the problem might be, instead of having to be depending on the dealer.
Mac tools has 2 great little scanners $79-$99
EFILive AutoCal by Idaho Rob @ ATP. http://atptrucks.com/?fullSite=1

2007 GMC Yukon Denali "BLACK" 6.2 gasser
LUCAS Fuel Treatment and LUCAS Oil Stabilizer

EFILive AutoCal by MJ Engineering
D_R_C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2012, 07:35 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

I've found 3 things that cause "reduced engine power":

1. Air Filter
2. Fuel Filter
3. Bad accelerator position sensor.

I have put 2 new accelerators in my truck in 77,000 miles.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.