Violent Shake/Vibration in front end at 40-50 mph - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
07.5-2010 LMM Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 05:05 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Violent Shake/Vibration in front end at 40-50 mph

I am beginning to get very annoyed with this.. My truck has a violent shake in the front end at around 45 mph.. When i say violent don't take it lightly, i mean violent lol.. It started when i had my worn out Toyo open country m/t's on there at no particular speed..

So i bought a used set of BFG's 325/60R20s
with approx 50-60% tread left.. it seemed to smooth out a little but at 45 mph the rattle came back.. I checked all the steering components to find i had inner and outter tie rod ends bad on both side.. So i replaced them with Moog tie rods.. No more slack or play in the steering at all.. Took the truck for a drive and the vibration was LESS than before, but the truck is kinda pulling to the left. So i thought well i'll take it to get an alignment and it will prob fix the issue... Now the truck has a bigger death wobble than before and it violently shaking.. Sometimes it won't vibrate at all.. but sometimes it will.. but it always does it at the exact same speed and gets worse in a curve.. When the tires were mounted they used a half a bag of balancing weight per tire... Seems like there is no bounce at all in the back as all the wobble is in the front and in the steering wheel..

What do you think is causing this? Could a steering dampener or wheel bearing cause this? there's absolutly no give in either wheel in the front from up and down or side to side... I used a 5 foot slate bar to pry and it had no play at all... I'm stumped and getting aggravated with it.. I can't go anywhere without feeling like i'm riding a mechanical bull... any input would be appreciated..

08 CCSB LMM LTZ- 6" super lift with t bar drop. 35" Nitto grappler all terrains, 20x10 Moto metal 951's.. Edge evo race cts on level 2. 5" MBRP SSTB straight pipe, 6 inch tip, DDM 3000k Fogs, 6000k Lows, all on mod

Latest install: nathan airchime K5LLA, 5 gal tank, 444c
compressor
My youtube channel-http://www.youtube.com/user/tdv1985?feature=mhee

anti-venomLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 06:03 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

Check your hub. Jack up front wheel and grab the top and the bottom of the wheel. it should not move at all. Just had to replace mine.

5 inch Diamond Eye with 6 inch Tip
Tow Mirrors
20% Tint
Edge Insight
DSP5 from ATP
Helo Maxx 8's
275/65/18 Michelin M/S2

http://performancetruckproducts.com/
ILsilverado is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 06:07 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILsilverado View Post
Check your hub. Jack up front wheel and grab the top and the bottom of the wheel. it should not move at all. Just had to replace mine.
there's no travel in any direction in the front wheels.. that's what stumps me.. i couldn't get it to budge with a 5 foot slate bar..

did you just replace the hub, or the complete hub assey including the wheel bearing?

08 CCSB LMM LTZ- 6" super lift with t bar drop. 35" Nitto grappler all terrains, 20x10 Moto metal 951's.. Edge evo race cts on level 2. 5" MBRP SSTB straight pipe, 6 inch tip, DDM 3000k Fogs, 6000k Lows, all on mod

compressor

Old 11-08-2012, 06:13 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

It was the entire wheel bearing from Dmaxstore.

Timken Bearings (NEW + Kryptonite) [SP580310-SP580311-580312-58013] - $199.99 : DMAXSTORE.COM, Your Duramax Diesel-Only Shopping Resource

5 inch Diamond Eye with 6 inch Tip
Tow Mirrors
20% Tint
Edge Insight
DSP5 from ATP
Helo Maxx 8's
275/65/18 Michelin M/S2

http://performancetruckproducts.com/
ILsilverado is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 07:25 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

it could be that the tires are so bad out of balance that the half a bag of balance beads isnt doing enough and would require more weight. a half a bag does not sound like it would be enough for that size of tire. we generally just thro a whole bag ina atire which is 10 oz. i had some one time that were that size and new that took a bag and were still 10-15 oz out. we even spun them before putting the bags in them
4" straightpipe
285-70-17 cooper stt
polemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 08:14 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

i'm thinking it's the tires.... they're saying it calls for half a bag but they didnt spin them or anything so how would they even know if they are balanced?

compressor

Old 11-09-2012, 09:00 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

i put a set of used wheels and tires on a jeep i had once, i put them on the jeep the exact same way they came off of the other one. changed the oil and rotated the tires took it for a spin and thought i was going to die it was shaking horribly. started changing parts and never could figure it out. moved the tires back the way they originally were and everything was fine. i think your problem is in the tires just from experience
EFI Live DSP5, 5" MBRP Black Series, MBRP DownPipe

Lwesley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 03:17 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwesley View Post
i put a set of used wheels and tires on a jeep i had once, i put them on the jeep the exact same way they came off of the other one. changed the oil and rotated the tires took it for a spin and thought i was going to die it was shaking horribly. started changing parts and never could figure it out. moved the tires back the way they originally were and everything was fine. i think your problem is in the tires just from experience
UPDATE!:

Guys i want to thank you for all your time and advice... I took it to a tire place today that had a machine that can spin balance a 35 inch tire..

they broke the tire off the rim and took the junky balancing sand out of the tires, and used "stick on" weights on the inside of the wheel... Let me tell you, the truck rides smoother than a new one would!

Don't waste your time using balancing sand because in my experience it doesn't work worth a crap... Take your tires where they can spin test them for balance and it will be well worth it...

Anyway's just thought i'd share, hopefully someone will read this thread will be helpful for someone down the road.. thanks again to all you that took the time to read my problem and give me helpful advice!

compressor

Old 11-09-2012, 03:33 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

I didn't help you out but glad you got it figured out man.
www.alligatorperformance.com
DMAXSTORE.COM
chevy71pickupman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 05:09 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

i hope they didnt charge you for that? since it was their mistake to begin with. but glad to hear that fixed it.
4" straightpipe
285-70-17 cooper stt
polemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.