4" vs 5".. is there really a difference. - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
07.5-2010 LMM Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2012, 08:06 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

4" vs 5".. is there really a difference.

Ok.. whats really the deal here. I have heard so many people I will like 5" better cuz it sounds awesome. Then i have alot of people telling me 4" is better and i will lose power with 5. Its almost about 50/50. What should i actually get? Id like 5 inch but not if there are downsides to it? I know i dont NEED it.. but i want it.
All im doing is EFI Live, straight pipe, lift pump, Blocking and rerouting, and transgo.

Pros and Cons GO!

EFI Live by Rob. Stock, Heavy Tow, Econ 90, Street 120, Race 150. S&B Intake. 5" MBRP Straight pipe.
3" mbrp downpipe. Blocked, Rerouted, Plugged. Transgo Jr. Edge Insight CTS. And no tread.

My Build Thread
DWDuramax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 08:26 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

There is no power loss associated with a 5 inch system as compared to a 4 inch

LLY
Blocked, Rerouted, Sleeved, MP, 5"
Cobalt's, Leveled, Raptor, Profab, DDM, K2
EFI by ATP
TrevorG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 08:28 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

Thank you.

EFI Live by Rob. Stock, Heavy Tow, Econ 90, Street 120, Race 150. S&B Intake. 5" MBRP Straight pipe.
3" mbrp downpipe. Blocked, Rerouted, Plugged. Transgo Jr. Edge Insight CTS. And no tread.

My Build Thread
DWDuramax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 08:31 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorG View Post
There is no power loss associated with a 5 inch system as compared to a 4 inch
yep.

Sound is the only difference

2006 CCSB 4x4 ZF6
battlegraduate09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 07:58 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Power wise, under 600hp there really isnt any difference between a 3.5" and a 5", maybe a little cooler EGT's.
Sound is the only real difference between them. The whole backpressure myth is still out there and a lot of guys think you need backpressure for an engine to run right. 2-strokes are about the only engine that "needs" backpressure, pretty much all 4-strokes can be tuned to run right without it. In a duramax the turbo is all the backpressure you need, anything behind it is there to get the smoke away from the cab.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:40 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporting Member

Digging up a bit of an old thread here, but in my search for 4" vs 5" this popped up. As a response to the back pressure thing, it is not always true that lack of back pressure doesn't affect performance. I don't imagine it does for our trucks, but I had an 86 mustang with a 306 that was turbo (carbed), and when I went from a 3" down pipe and exhaust to a 4" down pipe and exhaust I lost nearly 10 lbs of boost. I know that isn't relevant with our trucks, but in case someone happens upon this thread and is working on an impractical project like my old drag car was, they won't be mis informed. Tuning a blow through carb set up isn't like plugging in efi live though.
Adrenaline Truck Performance
Mad Jack Racing
jtyson8602 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 11:05 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtyson8602 View Post
Digging up a bit of an old thread here, but in my search for 4" vs 5" this popped up. As a response to the back pressure thing, it is not always true that lack of back pressure doesn't affect performance. I don't imagine it does for our trucks, but I had an 86 mustang with a 306 that was turbo (carbed), and when I went from a 3" down pipe and exhaust to a 4" down pipe and exhaust I lost nearly 10 lbs of boost. I know that isn't relevant with our trucks, but in case someone happens upon this thread and is working on an impractical project like my old drag car was, they won't be mis informed. Tuning a blow through carb set up isn't like plugging in efi live though.
it also depends where the most restrictive part of the exhaust is. on our trucks its the turbo if you have a full system with aftermarket dp. with your mustang changing the downpipe could have freed up the exhaust a lot more causing the decrease in the speed of the gasses, which can result in boost loss. USUALLY having the freest exhaust possible after the turbo is a good thing, but our trucks make a ton of exhaust. compared to your mustang there is no guessing. I have also seen nearly a 25 hp gain from going from 1 5/16 to huge 1 3/4 headers on my 383 camaro which is n/a. every set up is different and for our trucks the different exhausts don't make any noticeable difference in performance only sound. The only thing if anything that could be lost is low end torque, which we don't use much of when racing or dynoing anyway.
546hp & 1025 ft/lbs at Lone Star Dyno, Spring Branch Tx.
Best Run: 13.23 @101 with 1.90 60
'
daword2011 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 08:21 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

Are you also going to do a down pipe? I have a 5" and love the sound, but I also did the down pipe and I am glad I did. The factory one has a pretty nice "kink" in it for lack of a better word!
Old 01-03-2013, 08:33 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
most known unknown
Lifetime Supporting Member

factory LMM exhaust is 3.5"?

my LML exhaust (factory) looks huge, (thats what she said)

or maybe im just thinking it looks big, idk

jwcgmc1985 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 08:37 AM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

To be honest I graduated college with a diesel degree and diesel do not need back pressure at all you can run them right out of the Turbo and you'll be fine all the exhaust is doing is getting the smoke out of there the bigger the exhaust the more.smoke it can move so the bigger the better and also you would have lower egts

Sent from my LG-P925 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
skoley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.